Wing Mirror Position.

Hi All,

As you can see from pictures recently posted of my TR3A, it is not fitted with wing mirrors.

After driving some miles, I have decided they are necessary and have purchased the round type normally fitted to the front wings.

Regards the exact position, I have seen pictures on the internet showing them positioned at the highest point of the wing curve, which puts them just to the rear of the leading edge of the bonnet. I figure the hole should be drilled near to the wing seam to just give enough clearance on the underside for the nut and spanner / socket.

The only other consideration I can see is to check that the view of the nearside mirror is not obscured by the interior mirror.

Any more thoughts on this?

Regards

Steve

Steve

I've got the round ones,and I can't see the nearside one , it's obscured by the bonnet, if i were to do it again I would just have one on the drivers side windscreen frame.

Steve

Steve,

I am having the wing mirror debate with TRE at present.

My preference is to have mirrors closer to me, so the decisions are tenon plate, door or bulk head.

I do have a couple of wing mirror pics showing slightly different placements, the one where the mirror is slightly closer to the windscreen doesnt quite look tight.

Sadly apple's new photo ap will not allow me to upload to p'bucket so bear with me

My mirrors are in a similar position to Steve R's, the hole is 20mm forward of the centre of the Dzus fasteners and 25mm out from the seam. The view of the nearside one is slightly obscured by the interior mirror and the aeroscreen frame, but I find its not a problem if you move your head a bit to one side.

Rob

post-7865-0-51543600-1430857926_thumb.jpg

Round ones on the wing,

N/S Useless,

O/S Poor, and impossible to adjust from the drivers seat.

you need the mirror close to you e.g. windscreen stanchion,

I have some picture sof different locations if you give me your email.

Probobly the best of all is top of the stanchion, with a mirror with a double ball joint.

John.

Edited by john

The farthest back on a wing i have seen

AF6286F5-1347-40D4-9091-E82396962630_zps

Very low on the door such that you would look awayfrom the road

84D60D3A-CAAB-4302-906B-A92BE272B2C9_zps

Not my preferred position

DC6E3BAB-B78B-48F7-A433-34B9BD054BCB_zps

SKV (via tre ?)

CB2DB338-30FF-4658-9AA9-E0B868BA539D_zps

My 3a was rebuilt by David Tabb one of several side screen cars restored by him.

He positioned the OS mirror as shown and the position was no doubt perceived by him to be the optimum place with his experience over many years rebuilding and driving early cars.

I have found it excellent the only drawback is with the hood up ( only once in 7 years) when the side screen obscures the view.

DSC_0001_01_zpstc9dvsar.jpg

Steve

Send me a PM with your e mail address if you are interested. I have my mirror on the side screen inner sockets, held on by the dzus bolt, they are the bullet type. They don´t vibtate at all, real clear image unlike when I had clamp on ones on the tenon plate.

Can´t use it with side screens in but here in Spain, we don´t need them. One other problem is light fingered people, so when I park I put it in the boot.

Dave

Thanks for your comments.

I can see the door / windscreen position is favourable, but with side screens fitted (when rear view mirrors are most needed), it seems they are either useless, or have to be removed.

I feel the wing mounted option, with careful positioning to get best view of the nearside is the one for me.

Regards

Steve

This is by far the nicest solution I've come across: a normal mirror & stem welded on a bespoke clamp that slides over the stanchion. The stanchion is wider at the bottom, so the size of the clamp defines the height of the mirror.

P1010867.jpg

P1010866.jpg

P1010861.jpg

P1010865.jpg

Menno

I have fitted one mirror to the RH screen stanchion. It is clamped on using two pointed grub screws, and is positioed so that it is visible with sidescreens on, & does not foul the side screen when opening the door.

This has been on for a year or so now, & I am very happy with it.

Bob.

Not a great photo (you may need to zoom in), but this is the current position of the motorcycle bar-end mirror fitted to the front offside stanchion hole. I found that with it positioned on the rear hole, the view was distorted by the sidescreen glazing when wet and even in the dry as the material is milky. In its current position I can see it clearly through the bottom corner of the windscreen.

DSC01068_zpsba7keg9g.jpg

I get over the standard rear-view mirror obscuring the view to the nearside by using a small concave suction mirror (inherited from Eddie Holden so no idea whether this type is still available). This is positioned slightly off-centre towards the nearside.

These are currently the best solutions I've experienced in over 40 years sidescreen ownership, but I have recently bought a pair of Tex stainless steel bullet mirrors which I intend to fit on the wings. I know they won't add much to the view but the car had bullets for many years prior to the rebuild and I just like the look (especially whenever photos of TuRK).

Hi, this is my solution, fitted to stanchion, clears sidescreen when opening door, held on with one slightly longer stanchion screw (no drilling required), has been fitted for years and never moved, gives a clear view even with sidescreen in place. hope this helps, Bill.

post-917-0-47538900-1430901545_thumb.jpg

Hello Billy. I have been following this topic, as I find myself in the same position as Steve26. I love your solution, and would be very grateful if you could provide further info. Is it a mirror/stem mix and match? was it bought as a complete unit? From where did you purchase it? etc etc. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers. John

Hello John, This is a mirror/stem mix, The arm and mounting base are made by Desmo. if you are able to zoom in you can see Desmo imprinted on arm, The mirror head is made by lucas, all new old stock. Both were purchased at autojumbles quite a few years ago but I still see them for sale, in fact I saw an arm and base for sale at the Popham show on bank holiday monday. Hope this helps,, Bill.

I Like Bill's solution, sadly those are the block in my screen which are stripped on both sides :(

I have the idea -- not done yet, alas -- to use the single-hole mounted Desmo-style oval mirror from SVC with a custom-made stud that replaces the lower windscreen mounting screw. The existing screw would become a post on which the mirror would be locknutted. In theory, simple, relatively "period", and completely reversible.

db_file_img_910_200x200.jpg

Your slip-on version looks terrific, Menno. Possibly made by the same Geppetto that makes single-point boot rack mountings?

This car for sale in the Goodwood Revival carpark a few years ago is what I'm after with my single-point mounting idea discussed above, without the drilling/tapping of the stanchion.

i-CQvtctT-XL.jpg

Don, similar style at Malvern two years ago

641BB266-0684-4C96-AF32-529E38DC8E51_zps

Revvies are selling this tenon plate option (see their FB page for pics), but in my view needs a longer arm to be seen, maybe better with a flat mirror too?

60469DBC-F8A1-470C-907F-A1A430842B5A_zps

not sure if the sidescreen indicates it doesn't clear the mirror ?

858BB64E-6835-4D4D-8BD7-6B56C61507DD_zps

Edited by McMuttley

the shiney one at the top of my previous post seems to be an 806 arm - which can clearly be 'swung' out of the way.

http://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/806arm-mirror-mounting-arm-adjustable

...with a 720 oval mirror

http://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/720-oval-rear-view-mirror

....looks a tad too vintage for me ?

... how secure would tapping the stanchion be ?

Edited by McMuttley

You can tap the stanchion easily as its solid brass.

Stuart.

Don H. Further to my previous post, I too have decided that the mirror you show is perfect. I have in fact ordered one today from vintage carparts.co.uk. Sadly I have no idea if they will sedn one the States. they have a huge selection to choose from and may be worth contacting to see if they wil send one to the good old US of A! All the best. John

John, I have the one in my link waiting for me to pick up in a week at my company's UK offices. Send me a pm -- quick! -- if your guys won't post to the US. We may have some options...