Engine Paint Colour- Green?

When I rebuilt my car 30 odd years ago I painted the engine green....why I could not remember. :unsure:

Having just removed the engine and gearbox I now know why......

the original paint on the rear is green.

IMG_11461_zps6ozikh40.jpg

Was this common? I have never seen another TR engine in green, but maybe I haven't looked at enough?

Does anyone know the colour name or reference?

Iain

Hi Iain

I got a spare block from Alec for my TR2 and that is painted green. I will try to get to it to match the colour. That was the plan when I got it years ago and I've not got round to it.

Looking at your picture though it is not as bright as the back of that, so it may have faded like your has.

Roger

Interesting to see the eight cap screw retainings for the flywheel. Definitely competition spec.

Stuart.

That sort of metallic mid green like Healey engines was a rare but original colour. You may have to scan a part to get a match - in a way it reminds of Qualcast mowers.

I've seen a red engine too in the early days. Later I wondered what colour they substituted for the red TR engine marker hand painted on the block. Easily seen on a black engine for allocation to the correct assembly line, but red on red wouldn't have worked.

Viv

That sort of metallic mid green like Healey engines was a rare but original colour...

Are you referring to the greenish color on factory reconditioned engines, Viv? This looks more like the work of Richardson's team.

Edited by Don H.

The spare block to which Pogo refers is one I rescued quite some years ago, and if I remember correctly it's just a bare block, lacking even its bearing caps. It came originally from a long door TR2. The TR2 in question was one with original competition history, as in a privateer car back in the day. I think the green paint is original.

That was the first apparently original green painted block that I'd seen for a long long time.

In the distant past, 1960s and 70s that is, I've seen maybe half a dozen such green painted blocks, and all of them (as best I recall) in cars that were known to have competed in period, as new or nearly new TRs.

I can't recall having seen an original green block in an ordinary production TR, as opposed to one which had period competition history.

I have often wondered if there was a connection between the green block and the competition department, if only in the sense of identifying engines and/or cars earmarked for optional fitments and/or destined for additional work by Mr Richardson's department ? That's purely a speculation, I hasten to add, but someone more knowledgeable may have some clues or thoughts ?

Cheers

Alec

Interesting post chaps

Don the engine is absolutely the original TS24009E. Font looks identical to the other very original TR2 engine I have here for reference

Stuart, I will come clean, the 8 Bolt attachment is due to the Crank/Rods/Flywheel being sorted by Racestorations back in the 80's.

Qualcast paint colour is pretty much it Viv, I wondered where I had seen it before! Its not metallic just a vivid green, quite unpleasant actually :D

Being a works car is I suppose its possible it got rebuilt more than once, it was the first ever 2138cc engine( started life on the production line as 1991cc) as Ken Richardsons development car ,so perhaps it went green sometime in its use? (The paint is immaculate for the rear of an engine!)

Anybody notice the funny weld marks on the right, three short lines and a T, what are they about?

Iain

.......could be black by tonight then! :D

No its not quite Shamrock Green, close but not quite

As you can see its pretty vibrant in good light, unlike the BMC(waskmymoutoutwithsoapandwater!)s*&^ that I used on the outside all those years ago!

Alec - Pogo does this colour look similar to the block you had/have?

IMG_11551_zps3hzlywfz.jpg

Iain

Edited by iain

Anybody notice the funny weld marks on the right, three short lines and a T, what are they about?

Iain

Identification marks, for sure, probably from the Racetorations rebuild.

Darryl should be able to confirm/deny.

AlanR

Identification marks, for sure, probably from the Racetorations rebuild.

Darryl should be able to confirm/deny.

AlanR

So that would mean Racetorations should be able to confirm they applied the green paint too, Alan. The marks appear to be under the paint.

Hi Iain,

as far as I can remember, the various 'green' TR engine blocks I've noted in the past were not quite of a consistent shade.

Rather like Holbay race engines, depends what was around that day and who was mixing it - as opposed to a standard colour.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

thanks for clarifying that.

Alan R

To be really clear here, all Racestoration did was machine and balance the crank with the fly wheel, they have "NEVER" (and nor has anyone else) seen the block for engineering works. It still got its original cam bearings in it!!!! (Bugger that will put the mockers on them :o!)

Notice the cam bearing plug is aluminium and unpainted, the lower gallery plug(?) is green. Also the bolts around the rear seal have green heads albeit a bit chipped.

The marks pre date the green paint......I wonder if any other works engines have these marks?

Iain

Be interesting to know if the inside of the block is painted green. Commonly seen on competition engines to aid prompt return of oil to the sump.

Long ago I had a Holbay Ford in an F3 open wheeler and it was a very similar shade of green. Rebuild costs left me me a shade of grey !.

Don, I recall a white TR3A that came to Australia with a metallic green engine. Back then it was just another curiosity and I wouldn't have thought to check for an FR plate affixed over the engine number. It could have been a spare or rebuilt competition engine, knowing it wouldn't return from the colonies. The factory once shipped a "Geranium Red" TR2 to an Oz buyer who had ordered a red car while in the UK. Jeffrey had no idea he needed to specify "Signal" red, but ended up keeping it all his life.

Viv

Edited by vivdownunder

Viv, paint inside the ingine sounds pretty unusual,however I will report back in the next week or so.What happens if it peels?

Cheers iain