A busy day in Clarkeys Garage.

Just thought I would post a couple of pics

The job so far, diff out, driveshafts,hubs, polly bush the trailing arms.

So its going well, bushes out of the trailing arms( how fun is that :blink: )

I didn't fancy taking off the rear brakes so I used the Racetorations suspension mod to hang the rear brakes off :D

Trailing arms have been painted black by the PO, so i will jet them off.

The old rubber bushes were made by Metzeler so I guess they were good ones at the time.

Edited by Clarkey

Like the suspension mod to support the brakes. Make sure you get the TA bolts in the right way round when reassembling. Looking good hard work done.

Hi Robin. I certainly will, i removed them with an angle grinder as I didn't want to undo the brackets from the chassis just incase when i withdrew the bolts the hollow tubes had corroded so much they fall down into the chassis :wacko:

And i didn't use too many grown up words..... B)

Clarkey

i trust you are well its been a while since we had a chat

this time of year and work commitments

i sent mine to Matt at S and M for the tracking to be lasered and a tune up and anything else they can find

i have done what you are doing so its not too bad as long as your heater is on

cheers

david

Hi Jean

I have been told that that is not needed as the brackets are strong enough to use the two holes in the chassis,where the original lever arms were bolted.I check them regularly for tightness ;)

Edited by Clarkey

Clarkey

I have a similar shock/minilites setup but had an issue w tyres rubbing on the suspension tower. Also need new tyres but anxious whether 205s will fit ok (much easier to source good ones than the 185s it's running)

What camber and tyres are you running?

Does it need a spacer (not permitted down here...)

Yes Martin they look the buisiness, but the weak spot on the 6 is the bridge between chassis members, especially the meeting point. Realize the chassis is rather thin, made of much finer material than most people think.

it seems that the towers tend to flex at the top under load and after a certain time the bridge displays cracks where it meets the chassis. I have seen it myself on at least 5 cars and have been told about it on many more.

In my local garage after repair they add a strut from the top to the back of the chassis, as in most cases there is no possibility to bolt it to the wheel arch.

Would like to mention these people belong to the top on the Continent with regard to TRs.

Martin, you got 2 nice holes in the upper bracket corners , bolt them firmly to the wheel arch, whatever they say it might safe you some troubles later on.

Jean, Yes I had too do that. I found the top of the bracket was being levered forward and backwards, pivoting on the two bolts. I could see the marks on the underseal. That was because the top insertion of the s/absorber is a couple of inches out of alignment with the lever-arm bolt holes. The result was the triangular fillet, made from very thin steel, that runs down from the lever arm mount down the the bottom rail of the chassis, fractured. Both sides. Exactly as you say in post#9. Bolting the bracket to the bodywork behind the top of the s/absorber cured the problem.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Jean, Yes I had too do that. I found the top of the bracket was being levered forward and backwards, pivoting on the two bolts. I could see the marks on the underseal. That was because the top insertion of the s/absorber is a couple of inches out of alignment with the lever-arm bolt holes. The result was the triangular fillet, made from very thin steel, that runs down from the lever arm mount down the the bottom rail of the chassis, fractured. Both sides. Exactly as you say in post#9. Bolting the bracket to the bodywork behind the top of the s/absorber cured the problem.

Peter

Same bracket Peter?

For what it is worth, I use the TR Shop heavy duty brackets, that utilise the original lever arm X2 bolt holes. It also uses the bump stop provision from memory, so locates in 3 places. I also use 7" wheels, with 205/60/15 sticky tyres. I cannot remember if I use a small wheel spacer on the back, but no issues with clearance, or bolts coming loose, be it on track, or on the road. Car was built 2 years ago and 15K miles later. I use Koni shock absorbers.

Cheers.

Clarkey

I have a similar shock/minilites setup but had an issue w tyres rubbing on the suspension tower. Also need new tyres but anxious whether 205s will fit ok (much easier to source good ones than the 185s it's running)

What camber and tyres are you running?

Does it need a spacer (not permitted down here...)

Hi Matt

I too have had an issue with tyre rub when i changed from standard tyres to 185, but this was due to having too much weight(I think) in the car on a Lemans trip.

Not sure about the camber.

I have spacers fitted on the front, and i am thinking about doing the same on the back,I will be setting the rear up properly once i have had the new bushes fitted.

Sorry i can't be more help

No wukkas. Thanks for the reply. If it doesn't work I'll have to sort wheels w different offsets.

Too much weight?...too many pies at my end then!

Well the trailing arms are coming on, one is ready to go and the other should be after a helicol is fitted to an oversized (metric) foooook up by the P.O.

Ill be putting her back together next week so trailing arms , drive shafts ,Hubs, diff all back in :D

IMG_0912_zpsjcjrtwsz.jpg

IMG_0915_zpsdnxdwuoc.jpg

IMG_0913_zps89srjgke.jpg

Diff ready to go back on, just the diff mounts to strengthen on Tuesday and hopefully wednesday she will be back on the road......fingers crossed

IMG_0936_zpsgtfzw79l.jpg

Neil

I went with a recon unit from rimmers.new crown wheel and pinion as well which is from bastuck.

I know where and who should have had do it but I took advantage of the no vat offer.

I suppose I'll have to see if I made the right decision!

I fitted the rear casing using 500'C RTV sealer so fingers crossed there willbe no drips on the drive

• 2 weeks later...

So every thing is back as it should be!!!!!!!

Will Be taking the 6 to my local garage, just to stick her on the ramp,just to make sure everything is right as it should be, as I've don all the work to the car in axel stands and been lying in my back for the most part.

Looking forward to the drive but must take it steady:0)