Hi All,

Quick Question, have a noise when putting foot on the throttle particularly as I gain speed in 3rd and 4th. The noise is hard to describe but loose clattering in the engine that speeds up as the speed goes up and soon as I take the foot of the throttle it dissappears, any clues? thanks dan

+2 on Pinking.

Mick Richards

This is what the lead was put in Petrol to prevent.

Now we are lead-free this is always likely to be a problem.

Careful selection of the brand and type of fuel may help.

Ignition re-timing mat help.

But if you have had the head altered or planed you may find this very hard to banish completly.

This is what the lead was put in Petrol to prevent.

Now we are lead-free this is always likely to be a problem.

Careful selection of the brand and type of fuel may help.

Ignition re-timing mat help.

But if you have had the head altered or planed you may find this very hard to banish completly.

Time it and tune it properly and you wont have a problem. My 4a runs quite happily on ordinary supermarket fuel and it goes fine.

Stuart.

You better do my Ford Mondeo which has been pinking for 10 years and 103000 miles.

Defied all attempts to fix when still under warranty.

More than likely ECU/sensor problem, ex wife had the same problem with a Skoda Fabia. post 1980 not my field at all ;)

Stuart.

Common cause for early-ignition is when the combustion chamber remains red hot due to inadequate engine cooling. That being the case, timing adjustment will do little to solve the problem. To rule that out check whether the pinking also occurs when the engine is stone cold and whether you have an overheating problem.

No one seems to have asked if the engine is standard tune, or has high compression.

If the latter then a higher octane fuel will be required to stop the pinking.

If standard then I agree with all above comments - ignition timing, overheating, plug type (temperature)

Does it need a de-coke.

Bob.