Bit of a disaster with the tr6 today.

Dash back in after final finishing, looking fantastic and all working perfectly.

Took neighbour out for a blast, fabulous in the sunshine.

What's that oil coming out of the stereo?....... Bu$$er.

Turns out that in the tooing and froing with the dash the oil pressure gauge sealing washer managed to free itself.

Result?

Stereo and carpets soaked in oil, what a mess.

Stripped the car out, oil had found itself as far back as the seats!

I sort of wanted new carpets, but the stereo was brand new so that's a bit of a pi$$er.

I shall try to save the stereo, it's a mech less modern unit so a wash inside and out in brake cleaner will remove the oil, it might live on!

I guess the timing is good with Stonleigh next weekend though!

Looks like I need :

Carpet set

Poss under felt set

Side panel set, the vinyl panels behind the H frame

Rear 'cardboard' prop shaft tunnel, I'll probably upgrade to black 'plastic' to match the front

Stereo?

Lots more brake cleaner and blue roll.

Oh, and a little leather washer :-)

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

The original gauge is simpicity itself - little to go wrong (except for the odd leak or two)

With the electric gauges you need to power it (12V) so more things to go wrong.

Steve - go pray to the river gods, get a new washer and keep the original gauge.

Roger

I have in mind to make a small double-sided cylinder with a piston in it sealed by O-rings.

I then fill the gauge side with something like Glycerine. Of course you've got to get the air out.

Now if you get a cockpit leak you will only get a small quantity of clear fluid.

I have no idea if this will work.

The original gauge is simpicity itself - little to go wrong (except for the odd leak or two)

With the electric gauges you need to power it (12V) so more things to go wrong.

Steve - go pray to the river gods, get a new washer and keep the original gauge.

Roger

And after praying the gods think about Murphy's Law and go back to rock-bottom logic asking yourself what do you prefer: Empty sump or empty battery? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments guys!

The rustproofing point did occur to me Neil, but fitting through the ashtray did not, top top ,

Tomorrow I'll strip out the rest of the carpets, and finish cleaning the oil off.

Then I'll treat myself/the TR to a new set of carpets at stonleigh, or from the TR shop.

Should I bother with Underlay?

Steve

Trying to be positive !

Steve,

Bugger.

Those little seals fall out easily,I would recommend you get a couple of spares.

Not sure if you can still get leather, last ones I fitted were cork.

Underlay, I removed all the underlay from footwells and underseat.

Doesnt take much for it to get soaked, then you have a saturated sponge, encourages rust and smells.

Be interested in your opinion on quality etc of the carpet you select, think mines due for replacement soon

Cheers

Good luck

Guy

A bit of a bummer.

Wouldn't mind your comments on whether the set up at the back of the gauge was the problem or whether you think you left the nut a bit loose when putting it together.

(Have started working on the cludge with garden hose on the outside of the gauge pipe running down hill to a pipe soldered into the top of the sump if you say everything was ticcity-bu.)

A bit of a bummer.

Wouldn't mind your comments on whether the set up at the back of the gauge was the problem or whether you think you left the nut a bit loose when putting it together.

(Have started working on the cludge with garden hose on the outside of the gauge pipe running down hill to a pipe soldered into the top of the sump if you say everything was ticcity-bu.)

or lost and forgot the washer as I did - without the dire consequences tho :D

Thanks for the additional comments.

I'm pretty sure the washer fell out when i had to disconnect the oil pressure gauge to adjust the light switch fitting.

I have a large selection of O rings, so might refit with one of those today in the absence of Moss being open to buy the real thing?

Will post comments on the carpets in a new 'Unplanned Interior Refit' thread in due course !

Wonder if there will be a selection of carpets at Stonleigh, do the big vendors go there??

steve

Thanks Gordon, could you pm me with an idea of what price you'd be looking for?

Good tip Guy, i'll look into that ( every other hose on the car is braided !)

So..... I've been busy stripping this morning .....

And I thought i would try to resurrect the stereo, which had hot/old engine oil poured through it poor thing !

After much dismantling, including taking apart the display which i was sure would kill it, IT LIVES !!!

I've just had it up and running playing music from my iphone via Bluetooth.

I'm tempted to write to JVC and tell them :-)

steve

PS, I'm feeling more positive now, that 20p washer is going to cost me £££ but I wanted to replace the carpet and refresh the interior for a while ......

Edited by SDerbyshire

How much oil did you lose ? :o

Not actually checked the dipstick yet, as the car wont be moving for a while !

However the carpets were soaked, as was the radio, and a lake under the passenger seat.....

I'm guessing half a liter??

Steve

Consider changing the nylon pipe in total to a stianless steel braided one,

Available at revington Tr

cheers

Guy

Thanks for the tip Guy, just order one of those.

I may never touch it again but I'd be really upset if the thing leaked again when I've replaced the interior!

Looks like Gordon had a good deal for me on the carpet too :-)

Steve