Well, is anyone tempted?
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4334856401.html

Dan

P.S. it has a tr3 engine mated to a TR2 o/d tranny (approx. TS 6XXX). Supposedly complete with the small bits of trim accounted for. And to fit this post more properly into the technical chat vein, I wonder what it would look like if the baloon-like front fenders could be cut off, a large displacement rumbly U.S. engine inserted with pipes sticking out, and fat wide rear tires added? With the suicide doors, the rumble seat w/ windscreen, and the long narrow front, I am thinking rat rod. Sorry, but I was just daydreaming.

Edited by 2long

I'm sure someone would love to restore this roadster to it's former glory.

Aluminium bodywork, & wooden floors if I remember correctly?

If only I had the space ------

As for the obscene suggestions re modifications -- I'm speechless!!

Bob.

I did one of those about fifteen years ago for a client, a 46 1800cc model. Ash frame with Duralumin skin on the main body and steel front wings. Not an easy body to do and I had to replace the ash frame which was entertaining to say the least. A very sedate car on the road and basically a pre war type of car. The TR engine transplant was quite a favourite mod to do to them back in the day but even if you could get it to go it still handle like a boat.

There have been a few hotrod conversion done in the states as up until a few years ago they didnt command very high prices for the work involved in restoring them. They do now make reasonable money but definitely an acquired taste.

Stuart.

As for the obscene suggestions re modifications -- I'm speechless!!

Bob.

Me too

Should ba a rover V8 with lakepipes a nice set of 17inch alloy mags dropped 6 inches at the back and down low at front

bit like this but a convertable and with lakepipes ( so actually not like this but you know what I mean :D )

chevrolet_flexfuel_hotrod_sr1.jpg

Edited by Kiwifrog

In my youth I had a 2000 fitted with an XK engine . . . . 400cc and 50 horses over the original.

Sounded nice, brisk enough in a straight line, deficient in the braking department, and dedicated to maintaining its straight line course at all costs. Single minded as my uncle used to say about it, not given to deviating for minor matters like bends. The rear axle was none too sure of itself either, ten minutes in the dicky seat could reduce strong men to gibbering idiocy, convinced that they were about the be terminally rogered by a self-destructing axle. SOB was its nickname, sonofabitch or shitorbust depending on the day.

Dicky seat - rumble seat to our transatlantic chums.

It didn't last long, need I add . . . . before finding an even dafter new owner who substituted a 3.4 XK lump, not without some considerable difficulty, given the extra length and weight. Quick in a straight line it was, but a disinclination to deviate from the straight and narrow became a downright refusal, and the last I heard of it the chap was doing the odd drag meet - that would have been 1970 or 71 - before it was scrapped.

The Honolulu car looks like a fine candidate for a hot rod, freeway and drag strip use only though . . . .

Cheers

Alec

"Cornered like a thrown dart", eh, Alec?

It's always a bit of a surprise to see a 2000 over here, and I gotta admit, Dan, finding one squirrelled away in Hawaii seems even more a surprise. I've never liked the look of that car, so I'm perfectly OK with hot-rodding it. Flames on the sides, maybe.

Visiting Macy's Garage here in Ohio the other week I saw one near finished after a full and big-buck restoration. Beautiful job, but still, only a 2000.... This one had been in the same family since new, so it was an emotional restoration not a logical one.

Edited by Don H.

Four abreast was possible in '60s student days. One to steer, another to do the gears and two helplesly watching the bonnet mascot veer left and right as the road camber took the steering slop from one lock the other.

Stank of woodworm killer too.

There is a rather nice example here on the island, but I think its roots are firmly in the North east of england!!

FortRodd_005_zpsc0ead2d3.jpg

FortRodd_006_zpsb83e4c6a.jpg

Cheers

Graeme