I know this topic has come up loads of times but I have been clearing out some cupboards and found an old Ford 105E book dating from 1967 which contains the following method for adjusting tappets.

Rotate the engine until numbers 1 and 6 valves are both open by an equal amount. When the valves are in this position, numbers 3 and 8 can be checked. Repeat the operation for all valves using the table below:

Valves open Valves to adjust

1 and 6 3 and 8

3 and 8 1 and 6

2 and 4 5 and 7

5 and 7 2 and 4

Does anyone know if this method would work for a TR four cylinder engine?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

it should work as it is a variation on the 'rule of 9'.

Valves 1 and 6 etc do not open at the same time so by having them open equally you are relying on the large plain area behind the cam lobe to allow the effect to take place.

Knowing when they are open equally may be slightly more hap-hazzard than seeing when one is fully open/down.

Roger

They are mentioned in one of the other threads, their trade name was Sporq or some such sounding noise, got one in my toolbox, never satisfactorily adjusted tappets with it, the garage equivalent of a bread maker.

Mick Richards

Snap...and so says anybody who's had one, chuck it.

Mick Richards

I've never used one, and frankly haven't been tempted, as whatever happens you still have to tighten the locknut on the adjuster and the gap always changes when you do so I can't see a great advantage with it. However, mostly it's a lesson many people will have to learn for themselves, and for those who want to the instructions can be found on the Gunsen website.

Bob

Rather than use feeler gauges or mechanical things why not simply rely on the thread size.

I think the rocker arms have a 1/4UNF thread on the adjusters. These have 28TPI = 0.0357" per turn. (apprx 0.036")

So this works out at 10 degrees/0.001"

With the adjuster screwed gently down it can then be backed off whatever many degrees (0.010" = 100 degrees) using some cunning protractor.

The lock nut can then be nipped up.

Like the mechanical adjusters it overcomes the little deformation on the rocker face that can upset some readings.

I shall now retire to bed feeling very smug, in fact even smuggerer.

Roger

I found a decent quality screwdriver allowed more anti-clockwise resistance to be applied than with the tool itself.

Still, as Roger suggests, does such a small amount of tightening really matter? It's just a tractor engine but we (myself included) kid ourselves it's a sportscar so everything has to be spot-on.