Thin brown wires...

Any idea what these may be for? They're sitting under the driver's side dash of a UK 1974 TR6 CR. As far as I can tell (n00b and not an automotive native) they're not live even though they've been taped off previously.

Are they for the 'headlight flash' ? I recall that a thin brown is used for this thru the steering column to the flasher ...

Are they for the 'headlight flash' ? I recall that a thin brown is used for this thru the steering column to the flasher ...

Plus

Power to horns and glove box light via fusebox

Something wont be working,

This should help

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Cheers

Guy

And Welcome to the Forum Matt

Edited by Jersey Royal

Looks a bit "aftermarket/DIY", can't you backtrace to understand where they start?

Hiya guys....long time lurker (well, not that long, only had the TR a few months)

Horn's good, Glove box is good, Lights are good...and the UK ones just seem to have a high beam on/off rather than a "flash to pass" function. Do the US ones have such

They seem to backtrack into the general loom. I'll have to see if I can find where

Uk car have the high/low beam and a 'flash to pass' switch on the column stalk hence my thoughts. Certainly on an earlier car of mine the light flasher was powered by a 'thin' brown wire that was energized when the ignition switch was on. It was unusual in that it was a 'thin' brown wire from the loom that mated with a 'thin' brown wire that went up to the column switch which when pulled 'flasjed ' the headlights.

For clarity, earlier cars (cp) had the foot operated dip/main switch

Later cars have the steering column main/dip switch which does have a flash function.

So if you have the column switch, then pull it towards you to flash.

I'd trace the wires to their source, in my car I found and removed about 50 feet of wire that had been added over the years and didn't go anywhere!

Steve

Ah, ok. So my car has a column mounted switch: no "pull" high beam function, just a switched on high beam (lever is on the right on mine, different from the NZ sold TR6s which have them reversed-I'm assuming either the PO who rebuilt wanted to standardise with european vehicles or it was a UK configuration). I felt some play in this but lights don't come on. If they are meant to flash without the headlight circuit being activated that might explain why they are on the brown circuit.

OK, 1 down (the one with the bullet connector) 4 more to go (looks aftermarket though now ijonsson mentions it-red & blue crimped spades). But what the 'ell needs/wants 4x unfusedpower?

Is it a TR thing "flash to pass" I use mine to let people out of side roads ;)

Not a TR thing as such but I believe that the original idea for headlight flashers were as "passing lights",indeed on my Honda M/C the flasher switch is designated PA.

Clive

Even Wikipedia has a whole section on headlight flashing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

Be very careful about flashing headlights to let cars out of side roads OR being let out of side roads.

There is a major scam going on at present by our east European friends where they flash to let you out and then run into you.

Claiming they either didn;t flash or that it was a warning.

The Highway code I believe refers to it as a warning.

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/flashing-headlights.html

Roger

Edited by RogerH

If someone flashes the headlights at me, I take it as a warning (and I guess most drivers in Sweden do)

Uk car have the high/low beam and a 'flash to pass' switch on the column stalk hence my thoughts. Certainly on an earlier car of mine the light flasher was powered by a 'thin' brown wire that was energized when the ignition switch was on. It was unusual in that it was a 'thin' brown wire from the loom that mated with a 'thin' brown wire that went up to the column switch which when pulled 'flasjed ' the headlights.

Robin, do the usual UK cars (ie one's that have avoided PO's "personality touches") have the high beam column stalk on the L or the R? My manual and the NZ cars I've seen (I think may have been assembled in Aussie) have indicators on the R in the way that Japanese cars typically do here. My UK import has indicators on the L (like European cars) and the high beam stalk on the R. It will activate the high beams switched, but there's insufficient space in the cowling to allow it to be pulled forward. I'm assuming they've been swapped around and hence the wire taped off.