Well its out! and i didn't use too many Grown up Words:)

With a little help from the usual suspects ;) and also help from a good friend of mine, I have taken the box out.

I have been having issues with gear selection and I have also had overdrive problems, so I have taken the box out to get it rebuilt along with the overdrive.

I am starting to think this has been a good move, the P.O had the box done about 4000 miles ago :blink:

When I drained the oil out of the box i found this on the drain plug

IMG_0631_zps8311c230.jpg

Then I had a look in the Bell housing and its covered in oil :angry::angry:

IMG_0633_zps7bff3c88.jpg

Then I had a look at the release bearing, now this feels and sounds like its been dipped in sand :wacko: .

So i guess i would have had to have had the box out soon anyway.

I will be having a look at the clutch over the next couple of days and I have to admit i guess ill be changing that as well

Bugger, Neil youv'e beaten me to it

That was going to be one of my next questions :P

Neil,

that makes sense now of the little oil catching tray slung under the bell housing and yes it was full of oil :blink::angry:

Martin PM me your address and I will send you an engine rear oil seal as I have one in stock doing nothing. FOC to you.

Stuart.

PS like the Christmas tree................... ;):lol:

Edited by stuart

I have just been looking through all the past receipts and info that came with the car

The gearbox and Overdrive were reconditioned by Bell Engineering in Blackheath Birmingham some 7000 miles ago.

So I have to admit i've never heard of them and i've googled and they seem not to be around anymore.

Edited by Clarkey
  • 4 weeks later...

So just to give you the heads up on progress thus far

I have had to change the the crank end seal

this was all going well until we found that the left hand thread on the bottom of the seal holder had been stripped by the P/O.

so I have a mate putting a helicoil in so i will have to wait for that to be done.

also the box and O/D are now ready to collect, but due to being ill this week I've not been able to collect it, so I'm a few weeks away, due to not having much time away from work from getting everything back in.

• 2 months later...

Well

I have started putting all the bits back together :rolleyes: , so the rear crank oil seal is back in place and well and truly RTV sealed to within an inch of its life ;)

the flywheel is back on, although I was sweating when i had locktite'ed the four flywheel bolts and could not stop the flywheel from turning when trying to torque up the buggers :angry: , but after wedging numerous bits of wood/steel and anything else i could wedge the flywheel with they are tight :D

so its on with the clutch tomorrow, then the box goes in Next Wednesday :lol:

Not able to fit the clutch today so I am doing it in the morning,

Just checking all the bits are ready, just wondering what the small sachet of grease was for :blink:

Pinky

I think you'll find its seats :P:lol::lol::lol:

They are on the list but away off at the mo

Finished the clutch today, so the box and O/D will be fitted next wednesday, then i have all the wiring to put back in and the O/D logic to fit then i will replace the carpets and then the seats will be wired and fitted.

so a few things to keep me busy for the time being ;)

I am planning to position them under the dash in either footwell......I think, not sure but that looks the easiest option