Is it worth fitting an electric fan

Hi Mike,

I think it is a worthwhile investment, especially if you plan on heading anywhere a bit warmer than the UK at any point! (mine was a godsend at Le Mans a few years back). However, personally I prefer to leave the old fan in place too. This is more paranoia than proven science - it's just I had a head gasket go on a Spitfire once where the mechanical fan was removed - and the electric one had died without telling me!

Anyway, if you get one, fit a sensor into the bottom hose and it should only come on when needed. I went for a Kenlowe on my 6 - lots of people here prefer other options, mainly due to the fitting but the Kenlowe does the job for me just fine.

Regards,

Michael.

Edited by CONCRETE24

dont just fit a fan if you go to a radiator rebuild guy get him to fit a bigger core in works a treat bigger fan driven by crank and a fan on the front forcing air through . its a bit over the top but works no problems even in the hottest days

I did the conversion on my TR6. The mechanical fan is the worst of all worlds as where I live it cant keep up with the hot summers when idlining in traffic and it runs when it doesnt need to at any speed above 30mph.

For the TR3 I just like the look of that four blade propeller so I will be keeping that but mounting a small pusher fan on the front of the rad, high enough to clear the crank hole which I am also keeping and I dont care if it does diminish the cooling by 20%. What is the point of having a TR3 if you cant start it with a handle :)

Stan

Mike

do it!!

Mine used to struggle when temps got above 30C in traffic. I fitted an electric fan when I had the radiator re-cored. I left the old fan in place as a bit of insurance. The electric fan has stopped a few times since, due to a poor connection at the relay. But all good now. I've even ventured out in a 40C day with no problems, which I would never have done prior!!

Regards

Craig

I've always had an electric on mine and never had a problem. I also have an indicator light to show when its on + the usual manual overide switch - handy to turn on if you see a jam coming.

I used to have a pusher type, but was recommended the pull type ( Pacet ) when I had the car done.

My 6 has never suffered from overheating while in my 11 years of ownership and it has the standard factory fan. It was fine in 35degC temperatures in jams in Salzburg and similarly at Le Mans. IMHO, as long as the cooling system is maintained in good condition, there should be no need go electric.

Jim

No need for electric fan if your cooling system is sound.

Would only consider one if I lived in a hot country. Not required in the uk!!

But if you do fit one do not remove the engine fan unless you want to fry your electrics.under bonnet temperature gets quite high with no air flow. It's not all about coolant temperature.

I think more the reason there are no engine mounted fans on modern cars is the move to transverse engines. You'd need to move the radiator away from a ready supply of cold air to the front inner wing area.of course this isn't true for all new cars. Eg beamers

Tim

I would be interested to hear the technical theory that backs up how a mechanical fan on the front of the engine wears the thrust washers quicker... I find that hard to believe?

Edited by dobby

I fitted one. Car used to get hot when in traffic in Reading during the summer - the electric fan seemed to cure that. Radiator was OK at the time though I can't vouch for the waterways in the engine. Anyway, it worked seemingly more efficiently than the engine driven fan.

This sort of thing will always generate the usual "Standard set up works fine" or "Car overheated until I fitted one" responses.

Get your cooling system all sorted and run the car as standard. Take it out in traffic (I recommend maybe a rush hour commute along the M4) and see how it goes. If all is good save your money for other bits - car's becoming more a historical thing so it's nice to keep it stock to show the young 'uns how things used to be (kids around me used to ask where the soft top button was to put it up and down :-D). If it starts heating up to "high pucker factor" then get one and install it.

The mechanical fan thrashes round at top speed* when you are moving and idles round when you stop at the lights.

Swapping to an electric fan, you find it is off when you are on the move, (air movement does the job) and only comes on at the lights when you stop.(which is when the heat builds up)

Years ago when I put one on a Holden wagon I got an immediate 1MPG drop in fuel consumption.

* the Prado fan (mechanical) has a fluid clutch that tries to reduce power losses at speed by 'slipping' and lowering the 'thrash' speed.

Edited by littlejim

I would be interested to hear the technical theory that backs up how a mechanical fan on the front of the engine wears the thrust washers quicker... I find that hard to believe?

I guess the theory is that if the fan is sucking in air then there is an equal force pulling the crank forward creating a similar effect to you driving around with slight pressure on the clutch pedal. I have no idea if that would cause measurable wear or how long it would take or if anyone has calculated it.

Stan

Possibly true at the red light, but sure the bearings would find it a doddle to cope with, compared to what else they have to put up with.

Once on the move more air than the fan can shift probably comes through the radiator, so it probably thrashes round in a stalled condition, giving your bearings an easy time forward force-wise.

If you are concerned drive fast and don't stop at red lights.

However this will result in other things to worry about.

I found quite an effect from getting the radiator shrouding sorted. Made my own shroud from

ply and ensured it was a really good fit.

Figured that shroud was most important when the car wasn't moving as it ensures that hot air pulled through the rad cannot return to the front of the rad again greatly reducing the cooling efficiency.

Cheers

Tim

Tim

I took my very tired radiator shroud off when I had my radiator re-cored. I didn't put it back on straight away. I found that it had a big effect temps. With it off, it took a lot longer for the temp to come back down once moving, and surprisingly (to me) that above 100km/hr the temp climbed gradually. I'm assuming that the air pressure at 100+ is going around the radiator and not thru it's fins..................I'm about to remake one from marine ply too. The cardboard one is just not salvageable.

Just my 5c worth!

Regards

Craig

• 3 weeks later...