I was going to make the same point as Mick, that a windscreened car has a high pressure area at the bottom of the 'screen, that can drive the air into the cabin. Not there of course, if aeroscreens fitted, alowing the 'extractor' function of a rear bonnet lift as described by Peter.

Moreover the air there is slowed down (hence the high pressure), and anyway, recovery of the energy of moving air to impel it into a duct is very difficult. A simple scoop is useless. It took the NACA duct to collect air effectively from over a panel. Which shows the aerodynamic ignorance that prevailed at the time, not only that these scoops were fitted to TR4s, but they went on fitting them, for instance to the LeMans Spitfires.

http://jmcracing.online.fr/article.php3?id_article=192&artsuite=4

The roof vents fitted to many rally cars nowadays are extractors, that depend on the Venturi effect of low pressure free air moving past a vent to draw air out of the car, a different aerodynamic kettle.

John

I have one on the 250 shell. Or at least the scoop part is on there.

It is surprisingly poor quality. We decided to find something a little more attractive than chicken wire for the grille.

The fender cut outs were cheaper to reproduce locally - I bought the grilles though and they too look like a 5 year old with a Dremel made them. I suspect though that this being for function not form that the originals weren't pretty either...

Those who haven't seen it may find this of interest

http://shell-4000-rally.org/4000_web/1964/pdf/1964_TSOA.pdf

Edited by alan atkinson

The original wing (Fender to you Alan) grills were cut down out of Herald grill sections so they wouldnt have been too pretty to start.

Stuart.

The scoop was used on my 'works' TR4s - 3VC/4VC/5VC/6VC - because we dumped the hinged flap and gismos (we also dumped the heater on events like the French Alpine and the Liege-Sofia-Liege) to save weight/complication. Like the standard hinged flap, it was purely to collect fresh air, and there was no tendency for engine bay fumes to get in to the cockpit that way.

Like the front wing/engine bay vents, the scoop was there for a purpose, not for decoration.

AAGR

Edited by Graham Robson

Skip fodder, Alan.

Meanwhile I remember navigating in a pal's TR4 long ago, given that there was no budget to make it quicker the obvious alternative was to make it lighter, which we did fairly comprehensively. One surplus weighty item was the heater assembly, removal of which did rather reduce the potential demisting capability - not that one always required demisting capability, given that the windey windows and mechanisms had also been ditched along with the hood and frame, and the carpets (to let heat in). We'd have skipped the windscreen in favour of aeroscreens, but the scrutes didn't exactly take to the suggestion. The spare wheel and tools went too, which concentrated one's mind on mechanical preparation,

Nevertheless, on occasion it was a pain. Therefore a scoop modelled roughly on old piccies of the works cars was fabricated (I use the term fabricated loosely, it was beaten out of an old baking tray), on the basis that the works chappies might just have known what they were about. The resultant airflow through the vacuum cleaner hoses adapted to a ventilation system increased significantly, sufficient to demist adequately despite the lack of fan assistance. I do appreciate that aerodynamic theory might not have sat comfortably with that minor achievement, but we were more concerned 40 years ago with what worked, the hows and whys were irrelevant, suck it and see.

Cheers

Alec

Have today just seen a 4 under construction which had a perfect answer,the lid was in a fully open position and held up or infilled with a fine mesh grille. This is a concourse standard car and it looked spot on.

ROY

Alan,

For comparison purposes - here are a set of originals I bought recently - like Stuart says they look a lot more uniformed than the ones you posted.

Regards

John

DSCF5531.jpg

Sorry - if I've missed something:

Can I confirm that the flap need to be OPEN to improve/assist cockpit heating?

If I leave it open permanently with the mesh infil as suggested above - will this be long term detrimental?

Many thanks

WT

Wayne,

I confirm. Tested it again yesterday going up north (of France): open the flap and here comes the heat. No need to use the fan, car speed does the trick. Close the flap? No heat.

Badfrog

John,

No, I don't have an airscoop. Just the standard flap with a good rubber trim. It's nice to have warm feet in November when your ears turn to icicles.

Badfrog

Hi Wayne,

the only problem with the flap being open ALL the time is if it is raining and the plenum drains are not too efficient.

You will eventually rust your plenum sump into a lace curtain, keep your drains clear.

Hi JF,

my standard flap helps with the airflow but the fan does improve it signifcantly.

Nothing wrong with blue ear lobes - very punkish.

Roger

Hi Roger,

The fan doesn't change much. Either its motor is dead or I'm driving too fast. Nevermind, I'm now about to drive a closed car with surrey and all (Milady de Winter). And Austerlite doesn't even have a flap. Not even a water pump or a heater.

Talk about punk and gothic, my daughter is in charge here. With all that steel, I couldn't even raise my head to face the road.

Badfrog, your pre-war amphibian for now

Edited by Badfrog