Perhaps it was before they thought to fit a radio, then lower the heater controls, as it was in production, Anybody got one then?

Scan3.jpg

its a screw in heater panel in my handbook so there must have been 2 H frames?

Edited by pfenlon

There are early and late TR4 "H" frames.Part numbers 566108 up to CT1527 and then 806506 thereafter.

Stuart.

Hi,

The only two TR4s I have ever seen equipped with this alloy finisher were both Dové. Is this the explanation?

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

Hello all,

Sorry Badfrog, but on my Dové it was originally black!

Ian, the former owner prefer the chrome one he found at an autojumble.

The black is know for spare.

before

RIMG0006.jpg

after

Photoiphone116.jpg

I think the chrome item was for the first batch of tr4 who mainly go to the us, as the domed glass for the gauges.

regards

Patrick

Edited by Malocomotion

What about the Avon CR6ZZ?

At 189.50 UK Pounds, the chancellor leaves nothing like that amount out of my pension to be able to afford these tires Max, they must be very good though. Got any bright finishers then?

Indeed they are not cheap but better to use a good tire that sticks than a soap like tire like the Vredestein. A crashed car costs more than a set of expensive tires.

Hi Peter,

I'm sure you'll find that 165 80 15 was the standard tyre. I've got a set of Continentals on wires with tubes. I paid £55 each for them! Don't waste your time with Hankooks, verdestiens etc...Go for a premium tyre....after all its your safety at risk and its the tyres that are your only contact with the road so don't scrimp here. Hankooks are a budget tyre and will therefore give a budget performance!

Hi Peter,

I'm sure you'll find that 165 80 15 was the standard tyre. I've got a set of Continentals on wires with tubes. I paid £55 each for them! Don't waste your time with Hankooks, verdestiens etc...Go for a premium tyre....after all its your safety at risk and its the tyres that are your only contact with the road so don't scrimp here. Hankooks are a budget tyre and will therefore give a budget performance!

165 x 15 was the original standard radial option, aspect ratio didn't come into the tyre specification back then . . . . 82% was about par but early radials varied between 78 and 84%, or occasionally even a tad larger. 165/80 designation came into use considerably later as radials of lower profile (75, 70) came into general service and 'full profile' radials were standardised by many manufacturers (not all) at 80%, indicated by 165/80 as opposed to plain 165.

It's all too easy to be unreasonably critical of lower cost tyres such as Hankook or Vredestein. Both perfectly good tyres within their limitations, and the average classic driver is unlikely, under normal circumstances, ever to approach those limitations. The average classic driver tends to drive somewhat cautiously and defensively out of respect for ageing machinery. Even on a circuit open day the car is unlikely to be driven anywhere near its limits, regardless of how quickly its driver thinks he is pedalling..

Yes OK Chris, I quite appreciate that you would test its limits, so would I. but that's not the point !

Tyre cost amounts to more than just the initial purchase price - a 'budget' tyre of modest capabilities and relatively hard compound is likely to retain most of its performance for at least 6 years, and in some cases nearer 10. In contrast, ultra high performance tyres can be heading downhill after little more than 1 year, and by 3 years old grip can be drastically compromised. My son's Honda Integra was a case in point - after 3 years, the OE spec tyres were relegated from the Integra to the TR7, no longer able to match the potential of the Honda they were still just adequate for the Wedge. The S2000 that followed the Integra was worse, OE spec tyres were good for 2 years, then grip fell away - mileage didn't come into it. For a classic covering low miles, premium tyres can be a very expensive luxury.

Cheers,

Alec

Up to about a year ago everybody, this forum included, was raving about Vredsteins. Now they suddenly become cheap tyres. What's happening?

I always liked the Firestone F560 for my 4A.

For my style of driving and the terrain they worked very well. You didn't know they were there.

Now that Firestone have taken them off the UK market I've been fitted with some Continental Contax (fitted to the front).

They wear quickly and squeal around corners etc.

Is squealing a sign of a good tyre!!!! Or am I wringing the sh*t out of them.

Roger

I had Firestone F560s on my 4A for 6 years, 20,000 miles, they are made to the original design and not a patch on the Hankooks which use modern technology applied to a traditional sized tyre (165.80) At the same pressure about 26 psi the Hankooks show a slight bulge on the sidewall like most modern tyres and seem to give a more comfortable ride on rough roads and are much better in the wet. They certainly give the wire wheels an easier life, Mine have done 7000 miles so far with loads of tread left

there are two different Vredestein tires; the Vredestein T-trac and the Vredestein Sprint Classic.

T-trac for low preformance cars like "small" euroboxs..........

Sprint Classic for sportcars with more preformance like TR, Austin Healey, Jaguar XK ...........

Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver

I am running T-Tracs on my low performance TR6 and I really can't fault them. High levels of grip wet or dry, very smooth qiute ride and very reasonable at £77 each fitted, balanced by Paul Harris Classic Tyres, Sutton Coldfield.

T-trac for low preformance cars like small euroboxs..........

Given that most euroboxes will happily keep up with TRs these days, T-trac should be more than adeqate. I fittted a set to a 4A with wires and would recommend them. 165s suit the car very well and give a nice positive feel to the steering without being too heavy.

Bill

Compared to the tyres we all used in the TR's heyday, T-Tracs (and many - but not all - even cheaper tyres) are far better in every respect and I doubt many drivers would exceed their limitations other than in competition. I've got no complaints and I've yet to hear of anyone having problems with T-Tracs on TRs, although many seem to be using them now.

The T-trac is a modern tire with modern profil and in the size 165-80-15 fits well by a TR.

The Classic is a modern tire in old style profil and in the size 165-80-15 is in the "real" world a size 165-82-15 so the side-wall is al little bit higher then normal.

For the last ten years i run on the normal Vredestein Sprint+ with much pleasure, but they are out of production. The T-trac is the replacemant.

In may 2012 i have change to the Classic series. On the holyday trip this summer to the south of France and the Alps (about 3000 mijl) they preform well.

Highway (85-90 mijl/u) and the Alp passes where no problem.

marcel

The T Tracs are excellent on my Healey 3000 and have as much grip as the Cinturatos they replaced. Vredestein have always been a premium tyre.

All Avons cost a fortune, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with them for years. Turbosteels particularly, they are not even close to Michelin whereas Vredesteins are IMO.

I must say that any TR, regardless of tyre choice, has very limited grip compared to something like an MX5 and bumps make them worse, so all you can hope for is safe predictable breakaway and reasonable wet grip. I've got Toyos on the front of my TR3A, they cost £39 and are excellent, they are at least as good as the Firestones they replaced and are still on the back.

Edited by Ashley James

I concur with Ashley that TRs don't score top in the grip field.

Yet, this forum is replete in various ways of improving the situation (so I won't make a list of them). Christian Marx reacted as a racing pilot but us road drivers, or fastroad drivers for that matter, have simpler requirements. Vredestein tyres fulfill them, when coupled to a front sway bar and negative camber.

I'm afraid that no genius engineer will ever come up with a recipe for TR performance on the wet, just because the weight is unbalanced between front and rear.

Then, that's where you see the difference between drivers. Them as can and them as can't. But don't you love the feeling of the road you get in TRs, compared to your anesthesized modern euroboxes?

Badfrog

PS: BTW, has anybody ever installed the battery in the trunk and observed improvement?

Edited by Badfrog