Best tyres for TR6 ?

Hi All

I know I will get may opinions on this one, but what make of tyre have you found that suits the TR6 best ?

I currently have 195/65 Pirellies that are getting on a bit and I will be changing them this winter.

Any thoughts on best handling (as apposed to grip) tyres to fit ?

Standard TR's don't have 'Handling' only Grip...or what could be loosely called 'Road Holding' IRS TR's have excessive understeer in the dry and snap oversteer in the wet!

Whilst I admired the likes of Bob Tuliis and other notables in America who modified and raced them in the 70's...fact remains that the best tyre for a standard TR on the highway is the 165 section tyre that the Triumph engineers designed it to use!

However modern compounds have increased the grip over the original factory fitted tyres namely the now out of production Dunlop SP Sport Radial and the still available Michelin XAS.

Larger section tyres put too much strain on the Steering and Suspension components...any failure of which such as the stub axles would be your fault and would invalid your car insurance!

From an esthetic point of view TR's with wider tyres are transformed from elegant period Classic Sports Cars to look like Beach Buggies!

Edited by Denis

Hi Stuart

I have recently fitted a full set of Michelin XAS's with tubes after reading many posts on this forum and basically went with the consensus that the Michelin XAS were still the best but very expensive. I am so glad that i did as the grip, look and feel over the Vredestiens that i had especially in the wet was immeasurable. Got them from Longstone Tyres who i might add were very helpful and also got a discount for being a member of the TRR.

165 x 15 cost me for all 4 corners £658.00 with the fitting etc.

Edited by Kevo_6

Stuart, not a 6 but on my 5, I changed the 195/65s on 6" rims for 165s and haven't looked back. The car feels completely different (more "natural") and a lot quieter to drive too.

Other threads here:

What tyres on 5.5 minilites?

Tyre Size..................again!!!

As original sizes are not mainstream, only a couple of manufacturers make them, one being Vredestein. If you search the forums with that make, it will bring up loads of other tyre related threads as the name comes up in discussion.

Have to say Michelin 165 XAS's are the ones to go for. Bought my TR6 last year and it had 195/65/15 Contis fitted but very recently I have replaced these with the standard fit 165 x 15 XAS........oh yes far better. My TR is still on lever arm rear shocks too, nice to get back to how the TR should feel.

Just my tuppence and all that ......

Alan

Hi Foilks,

slightly off topic - I had to fit two Continental Contax to the 4A last year. These are on the front with two Firestone F560 on the back.

The Conti's squeal on certain raid surfaces but the 560's just keep rolling on with no utterance.

Sadly Firestone decided to pull the plug on the 560's.

Roger

Vredestein 165 x 15 T-Trac. Can't comment on the Michelin. However, £200 all round fitted and very happy.

I Just switched back to Levers too. Ride better and............Handling is way better with the levers :o . I know! However, it is much more predictable than what I had before. I had TR Shop Type 2 gas strut "upgrades" on the rear but only standard shocks on the front. It always felt uncertain. Car now feels much more in balance. Moral of the story is that when, and if, I go back to gas struts I will do it ALL round.

Q

Why did the US cars come with 185x15 while the UK cars had 165x15, the reason I ask is mine came with 185 XAS Michelins, 2 good 2 bad which need replacing due to flat spots from standing prior to my ownership, just bought 5 new 185 Michelin tubes after a bad puncture experience so would 185's be such a mistake? as obviously want to have all the tyres the same size.

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham

US cars came with 185x15 because i think they like a softer ride, check your tubes as i seem to recall that there are several size tyres the tubes are designed for, which is marked on the tube.

If your car is UK then best to stick with 165 x 15 to keep your speedo correct as UK v US had different diff ratios.

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi Quentin

I am also on the levers with std set-up front & rear.

Which springs are you using as i am planning to service (new oil) the levers but i think my springs at the rear have gone a bit soft.

Can't help there really. I think they are too long. I measured at 11 3/4" which sounds an inch too long? See photo below. Anyhow, I just ordered a set of Moss standard springs on their 20% discount. I am worried it will lower my car which woudn't be good with my exhaust. Of course if they are stiffer that may not be the case. Guess I will find out :)

This is my sping: I think it has one too many coils too.

20120922_104441_zps3c6e776f.jpg

Just a note on speed rating. There are some pretty good tyres available in 165/80 r15 but the reasonably priced ones are T not H rated. Is anybody aware of the legal requirements? Incidentally - I still favour 185/70 r15 and Pirelli have introduced some at around £100. Has anyone tried them? Gareth

Edited by Gareth Williams

Hi Kevo,

Thanks for your reply, the speedo issue was one of my concerns also the increased rolling radius would affect the overall gearing, I wondered if the US cars had a different diff ratio to compensate especially as they were down on power compared to ours :D

Graham

PS like the sound of the 185/70 Pirellis that Gareth mentioned

Edited by Grabea

Why did the US cars come with 185x15 while the UK cars had 165x15, the reason I ask is mine came with 185 XAS Michelins, 2 good 2 bad which need replacing due to flat spots from standing prior to my ownership, just bought 5 new 185 Michelin tubes after a bad puncture experience so would 185's be such a mistake? as obviously want to have all the tyres the same size.

Regards

Graham

185-15 XAS are out of production :( . I've got a set on my concours car which did ~ 20,000 miles before the makeover and they easily annihilate all other contenders in that size.

165s with the 3.45:1 diff have about the same overall gearing as 185s with the 3.7:1 diff. 195/65s are pretty close to the original 165/80s in diameter too. In the 'States many are going over to 205/70s to replicate the diameter of the 185/80s. These render the cars just about amphibious :P !

The comparison between 165/80 and 185/70:

Diameter - 165 = 25.2" 185 = 25.39"

Rolling Circumference - 165 = 79.16" 185 = 79.78"

At 2750 rpm, with a 3.7 diff, the speed will be 70.2 mph on 168's & 69.6 mph on 185's

So negligible effect on speedo reading. I have used 3.7 because my 6 has that diff. Try the Minty Gear Speed Calculator on Google and feed in the data for your car.

Jim.