TR6 with Surrey top ?

Stuart

There are a few Surrey rear screens fitted to the TR6. Locally to me, Mark Lockley has one (Lockley510 on here) - I believe the only 'mod' is to change the windscreen header rail to suit... Whether there were any additional holes required for securing the rear screen it I am not sure - though quite probably(?)

Cheers

Ian

Here's my TR6 with a Surrey and a TR4 windshield frame cap.

Background.jpg

100_1213.jpg

100_0443Custom.jpg.

The soft top section took some customization but I believe it was defective from the start.

Edited by poolboy

There is one down here with a Surrey and personally I think they do look good. Fits straight on out of the box. All you need is the two extra holes in the capping as the holes are already in the screen frame.

Stuart.

The std Surrey soft top uses a TR4 capping with its protruding lip to catch the front edge. There are adaptations people have done which use the original TR5/6 fastening hardware though, necessitating a bespoke soft top.

Here's a question for the true Surrey top Anorak: what screen frame was used for the Surrey option after the TR4? I ask because I'd like to fit a TR4 frame to my driver but its sunvisor and rearview mirror mountings are quite different, and not interchangeable :huh: .

Did the 'Surrey Top' inspire Porsche's 911 'Targa' Top?

Anyone know the date Triumph introduced it?

So far so good, Tony. I went back to a stock configuration..excepting the flywheel and fan that is. Thanks and thanks for asking.

Edited by poolboy

This is the conventional wisdom; yes. 1962 model year TR4, so 1961 actual debut.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Porsche to confirm this!

It's interesting to me that the last year the Surrey was available saw the Porsche 911 and the TR250 ( TR5 more fairly, as it had the Lucas P.I. ) competing toe-to-toe in SCCA racing here in the 'States. Their fortunes diverged from that point on, eh :D ?

...but who introduced it originally?

A 'Surrey' carriage was horse drawn, usually with a folding pram like top. Remember the song " the surrey with the fringe on the top" Triumph were surely carrying this over weren't they?

In another thread I saw a scan of the original Triumph literature for the 'Surrey' and this seemed to be their name for just the folding centre section. The rear window and hard top were not listed in the literature I saw as being the Surrey. Anyone else seen this literature - or have a copy ?

( BTW: The Mokes of the mid sixties also had Surrey tops - as seen in 'The Prisoner' ).

cheers, bob

Looks good!

Makes you wonder why BL never had the gumption to use the design for the TR7.

I think the car had to pass being dropped upside down 4 feet and not distort more than4" - to keep USA drivers happy.

Hence FHC.

Yes, but people like Porsche, and many others, had the very good sense to do a targa top with an integral roll over bar in the fixed section.

I've seen aTR 4 with a very neat roll over bar fitted insid the back Surrey, looked very neat and surely could not have npbeen beyond the abilities of even BL's less than finest to come up with something similar.

I think the car had to pass being dropped upside down 4 feet and not distort more than4" - to keep USA drivers happy.

Hence FHC.

Yes, but people like Porsche, and many others, had the very good sense to do a targa top with an integral roll over bar in the fixed section.

I've seen aTR 4 with a very neat roll over bar fitted insid the back Surrey, looked very neat and surely could not have npbeen beyond the abilities of even BL's less than finest to come up with something similar.

ETA: seems Michelotti 'got it', really good looking car.

sportstriumph_01.jpg

Edited by Andy Brady

They did on the Stag!

For what it's worth the surrey doesn't look quite right on the squarer lines of the 6 but fits without difficulty. If I had a 4 or a 5 I'd not have any qualms about fitting one.

You do need to change the fixings on the front screen top to the TR4 type (or modify the surrey frame to use the TR6 hood attachments)

The new generation of wind deflectors are much more effective than the surrey at reducing the wind from behind but don't create the storage space that the surrey gives if you need to take a lot on a long trip.

ETA: seems Michelotti 'got it', really good looking car.

http://www.aronline....ojects-triumph/

Ah! But does the Porsche Windcreen Frame act like a Roll Over bar like it does on TR's ? :rolleyes:

Ah! But does the Porsche Windcreen Frame act like a Roll Over bar like it does on TR's ? :rolleyes:

I would imagine so, its a proper T bar top it would seem.

sportstriumph_02.jpg

Edited by Andy Brady

Having done this and assuming that the OP is referring to the backlight rather than the ' surrey' roof bit, I can state that whilst it is not a difficult job, the backlight does not fit 'straight out of the box'.

At the rear of the cockpit, the original hood retaining plate bolt holes must have the captive nuts removed (or as I did, drilled to remove the thread. The aluminium B post caps must be removed and studs of a critical length installed in the exposed holes and finally, there are two studs on the backlight for which there are no corresponding holes on the cockpit edge. On my backlight, these studs had been removed already but I assume that they could be retained and holes drilled in the body to line up.

Having done all these modifications...........................then it fits straight out of the box :lol:

The two studs you had to remove probably means that yours was originally fitted to a TR4 as they had the wider tonneau extensions.

Stuart.

FWIW, I went back to the folding hood because the time it takes to get the surrey soft top on was a deterrent to going out if there was any chance of rain. Got caught in a heavy shower once and by the the top was on, all I had to was open the doors to let the water out!

I now know lots more about surrey tops on TR6s, thanks !

Strange (or possibly not seeing thier other marketing decisions) that BL deleted them for the TR6 just when targa tops were coming into fashion. I owned an X1/9 for 8 years and the shell of that car was incredibly stiff with the targa roll over section. No scuttle shake !

In retrospect it seems strange the TR7 was not a Targa ....

The two studs you had to remove probably means that yours was originally fitted to a TR4 as they had the wider tonneau extensions.

Stuart.

That is interesting Stuart, I didn't realise there were different versions of the backlight. Were the two studs deleted on the 4A and 5 versions?

The studs on mine were already gone as the chap I bought it from had it on a 5.

Edited by Ragtag