Heater

Even when I was in my thirties, my TR2's heater, which I flushed prior to each winter, was not very effective - as Revington puts it, "like granny breathing on one's knees"!

Which is why he offers a complete kit incorporating a 3-speed device designed to combat Scandinavian winters!

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

One fine evening when Revlingbottom has had a beer too many, we must enquire just how he came across the concept of "granny breathing on one's knees" - the explanation should be mirth inducing at the very least, and probably sufficient to result in mass hysterics ! :P;)

Cheers,

Alec

No need to pay £400. Buy the heater direct from Clayton. Its easy to make up brackets to fit and buy a switch. I paid 147 pounds two years ago, and thought that was too much for a bit of Polish plastic and some pipes.

David.

Just fitted a "revington" type heater which I picked up on the Club stand at Harrogate last year, at a bargain price. Its rated at 4kw which seems a lot to me.

along with some nice plastic hoover tubes it will surely at least demist the screen! Fan is noisy, but will I ever hear it against the engine noise I wonder. Hope to start the engine in 3 weeks.

I decided to locate the heater in the top of the passenger footwell as access to anything behind the dash is a pain, plus the passenger can get as much heat as they can take....

Us drivers are made of stronger stuff, or just wear a padded boilersuit.

Bill G

Edited by billg

Take the carpets out . . . . . saves weight, avoids having to dry them when it rains, and you'll get enough heat through scuttle and floor.

If still not warm enough, put a V8 in and you soon will be. :D

Prompted by the mention of Hoover tubes - if anyone wants any, I have surplus a few yards of industrial corrugated tubing in the shed, apparently proof against a lot more heat and pressure than the average vacuum cleaner tube. Various diameters from 20mm-60mm approx.

Cheers,

Alec

My 3A gearbox lost a tooth from its Layshaft last year and have just managed to refit the gearbox and give it a run. As per Pete Cox's instructions I didnt fit the tunnel in case the box still had a problem and it had to come out again. A pleasant but rather chilly drive and the propshaft whizzing round just by my left leg was a bit unnerving but when warmed up the heat coming back into the cockpit through the tunnel void was quite impressive. As I dont have a heater I was wondering whether just to fit a hinged vent in the tunnel, a lot easier than installing a Fug stirrer.

I Knocked together a test rig for gearbox/overdrive just to check the OD was operating OK. Using a 1HP motor and a few pulleys it drives the box at 2200 revs so plenty fast enough to see the OD oil pressure rise to 400 lb/sq in. If anyone rebuilding their OD is within striking distance of North Cumbria you are welcome to check your unit before installation.

Neil,

Like you I considered replacing the original heater fitted to my 3A with the Clayton type and like you I baulked at the cost. So I thought I would have nothing to loose by trying to refurbish what I had and I have to say I was not disappointed. What I found with my unit was that about the bottom third of the heater element was clogged with silt. So I spent a couple of evenings cleaning/flushing it out with welding wire and Cillit Bang, as a test of how I was doing I would fill the heater with hot water and check by hand to feel if the lower elements were getting warm. I kept repeating this cleaning/flushing process until I was happy that majority of the tubes were clear.

I must say that my heater was transformed, so despite what has been said it is worth by spending a little time and effort before splashing out on a new heater.

Martin

Neil,

You may find this useful, it was put together by Frank Angelini (where has Frank gone?): http://www.scribd.co...ter-Restoration - you will need to down load it to be able to print it off, I did this a few years ago but the file is not transferable for some reason?

Edit: Here's a more friendly version I just found in my files: http://www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Restoring+Smiths+Heaters

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I knew I had the info. somewhere, here it is. We have got a KL-54 aftermarket heater fitted to the 2 (came in one of the boxes of bits), it actually works in a fashion. Got rid of the demister vents and it at least keeps the passengers knees warm.

Nigel (with TS952)

I have the original Smiths heater in my 3A. It is great. My wife would not have enjoyed as many miles with me otherwise! I flushed it out when I restored the car 5 years ago, and have been enjoying a hot left leg ever since. New hoses, and regular coolant flushes have kept all tip top. It has never really cleared/de-misted the screen, but on my own, on the way back from club meetings/pub.... with toneau fitted, I'm toasty.

But then again, I like to save my pennies and if it was good enough for my Dad in the sixtees.....

James

Same as Nigel, I've got a KL in my TR2. I think it's slightly better than the Smiths in my Landy, but would prefer a really effective one. Don't need to be warm, I can wrap up for that, but misted-up windows are a real pain!

Les

You may find this useful, it was put together by Frank Angelini (where has Frank gone?)

Don't fear, I'm here - still lurking about.

Frank

Edited by angelfj

hi

Us southerners are tough no heaters needed

Aero Screen and goggles

what is up with you northern softies wanting heaters :P:P:P:P

pink

So why are you upgrading a good six one ? :P:lol::lol: and so I can demist the screen if needed and yes it will

Edited by ntc