TOK 20H

Here is the link http://www.rawlesmotorsport.com/sales/Car_Sales_New/TOK_20H/TOK_20H.html

I assume you've read the "Buyer Beware" from the Register home page? http://www.tr-register.co.uk/downloads/buyer_guides/TR6_Buyer_Beware.pdf

Don't let your heart rule your head (or wallet), but from the advert it looks very nice.

Good luck.

Regards

Peter

Check history very carefully - it has a late model air intake - ie post 1972 - may be completely innocent - needs explaining

It looks pimento red and has late model wheels - is it a later model re invented as a 1970 - CP car?

Check engine number is CP and not restamped either.

Call me paranoid but its not that cheap if it has a questionable heritage

Edited by Mk1PI

Also it has the no plate lights in the back panel. Check up under the dash to see if the lever for the air flap is still there as the CR dash steel backing panel has this completely deleted, also have a very careful look at the toeboard and bulkhead for any evidence of a left to right swap.

Stuart.

Is it normal practice to run the rocker cover breather pipe to the idle air bleed when using individual K&N filters? I didn't when I had a brief flirtation with them.

No. Stupid idea. Means that at idle all the air the engine is breathing is coming from inside the engine....... Won't work properly and a basic error like that isn't encouraging.

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones

It looks tidy enough at first glance, but not exactly restored with originality in mind . . . .

Invoices for paint and no mention of any metalwork sets the alarm bells ringing, especially when the car evidently required a wadge of replacement door fittings, lighting and chromework . . . . more bells from the lack of photos of the underside, not to mention my impression that it doesn't sit 'right' on the road.

One way and another it looks awfully like several 'dealer' TR6s in the £13-15K bracket that I've inspected for would-be buyers in recent years. The car photographs well enough, but it takes me 3 minutes to decide to walk away. Different matter if it had been a £10K private sale.

Cheers,

Alec

Andrew is going to have a look for me next week, he says he has a few questions and wants to see more photos, the dealer says he has 2 photo albums to look at. so ill wait and see,i do thank everyone for there input i just want to find the right car ,regards Mark.

You do not need photo's . Stuart's reply rings bell's on the spot. However somebody may have replaced the the rear panal but why the wrong one?? take a jack lift one wheel of the floor at a time and open the doors,that will tell you a lot

The front spoiler wouldn't be fitted to this car originally and the vent flap is missing, ignition key would be part of the steering lock for an H reg, CR car with an earlier plate?

Edited by PJM

The front spoiler wouldn't be fitted to this car originally and the vent flap is missing, ignition key would be part of the steering lock for an H reg, CR car with an earlier plate?

Nope 1970 the key is right

The ignition key didn't change until CP52786 for the UK market and this TR6 is earlier than that, the short depression drivers side wheelarch also shows that it is an early bodyshell and probably original. This TR6 has appeared in the TR Register a number of times over the years and appears to have had a pretty comprehensive body rebuild in the 1980's, which is maybe when the later rear panel was fitted.

Derek

Couldn't agree more Andrew, often enough a selection of photos will suffice to identify faults which put a car firmly into the category of chaff as opposed to wheat. That can save a lot of wasted time and mileage.

What photos won't of course do is offer sufficient evidence to determine whether it's a really good 'un or not, and that is perhaps more what Neil was getting at ? No substitute for the Mk 1 eyeball and a hands-on approach, applied with the benefit of experience.

Cheers,

Alec

As a lad, I often remember the phrase being swiftly aimed at those who were perhaps not quite grasping the point quickly enough, myself included many times, as dim as a Toc-H Lamp. TOK 20H could well prove to be carrying its own warning.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Ashworth