Bumpers - so they're not just for show then!

Oh dear...so I now know what those shiney things at each end of the car are! Some delightful person managed to not see the TR at the traffic lights - maybe bright Yellow is just too subtle?

It's alright though - they offered to pull over to the side, as the road was blocked - but they then drove off, so they don't have to worry about their insurance or anything :angry:

Anyway, the good news is there is no visible damage other than the bumper. I am going to get the suspension and diff mounts checked out for any cracks but on the face of it everything else works okay and the panels are straight. However, I am slightly shocked at the price of new bumpers!

I wasn't driving the car - it was my brother in law (named driver on the insurance). He's broke and I don't really want to pay the excess out of the kindness of my heart, so he will hopefully pay for a secondhand bumper and help me fit it.

Oh and no, he did not get the driver of the other cars reg! If anyone sees a blue '52 plate Passat with a dented front bumper in High Wycombe - let me know!

If I can source a second hand bumper - how much do we think is reasonable to pay? (Bearing in mind this is a daily driver with 'signs of wear and tear' - so not going to be winning any concours anytime soon!)

Regards,

Michael.

P.S. Maybe brighter brake lights would help!

This was on or around the Cressex roundabout (M40 junction for High Wycombe). I agree, there might be some traffic CCTV cameras around there - it's just whether for the effort involved it is going to be worthwhile! I suspect the car that did a runner will either have a fake reg. or no insurance. I had a similar incident a few years ago in my company car and in that case the other driver eventually got prosecuted - but it still came off my insurance!

Michael.

Hi Michael,

sadly, even reporting the incident to your insurers is likely to affect your rating, so if it really is only the bumper then treating it as a diy job would be my approach.

A half decent s/h bumper centre ought to be somewhere between £50 and £100.

I'd check the underside and boot interior very carefully for any collateral damage, but having been rear ended in almost the same way many years ago, it's surprising just how hard a belt the TR6 bumper will absorb without damaging anything else. Without the bumper it would have been a very different story . . . . .

I still don't understand why some folks remove the bumpers, but each to his own - it must significantly affect the insurance rating, surely ? Or maybe the owners don't declare bumper removal ?

Cheers,

Alec

That would drive me mad if that had happened to me :angry:

I'd suggest that you contact TR Bitz, TRGB, TR Trader and TR Shop as they regularly seem to have s/h parts. Stating the obvious, but Ebay too.

I suppose that if you can't locate a replacement bumper quickly, you can still use the car without a bumper for a while although that might be tempting another nudge.

Regards

Peter

Edited by dykins

Thanks for the sympathetic words all.

Ebay is empty at the moment (well maybe just empty of second hand bumpers)! However, I have started to ask around the traders as suggested - thanks for the guide price Alec.

With a 12 week old daughter and 2.5 year old son taking up 110% of my time, I have learned to aquire the patience of a Buddhist monk to survive, so I won't let an idiot in a Passat ruin my year just yet!

Regards,

Michael.

With a 12 week old daughter and 2.5 year old son taking up 110% of my time, I have learned to aquire the patience of a Buddhist monk to survive, so I won't let an idiot in a Passat ruin my year just yet!

Regards,

Michael.

Good man, you've got a TR6 and he's got a Passat, you win every time! (and he's a d1ck) :)

Simon

that's a fair dent there Michael so obviously the Passat guy wasn't paying attention - probably on the phone or texting as usuaul - as you say - difficult not see a bright yellow (Mimosa) motor,now, is it?

Hope you get it sorted and there's no other collateral damage.

Cheers

Rob

Michael,

It looks like it's just the centre section that you need. I think I have that section buried somewhere in my shed which you're welcome to have for a nominal sum. PM me if you're interested.

52'reg Passat. That's what - nearly 10years old. With any luck the damage to his car which must be considerable means it''s probably a write-off in parts costs alone.

No consolation to you though - commiserations.

Mike

my thoughts as well Neil, that bumper has buckled like a piece of foil . Having been

in a shunt many years ago, in a 6, it was the rear valance that was severly buckled , at the point

of impact i was stationary and offending car was travelling at 10 mph,oddly, the bumper

was hardly damaged.

Most importantly your brother-in-law is ok,

cheers,

Laurence

Hi Michael,

I have a TR6 (early type) centre bumper section, it has two holes where a tow bar has been fitted - however it is very servicable i.e. only very slight surface rust - you may have it FOC.................obviously postage maybe a bit - or collect from sunny Shropshire?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Shezbo, that's a really kind offer - I have already asked peejay to see if he can dig his centre section out of the shed - but if he cannot find it and you are still feeling generous - can I come back to you?

Cheers

Michael (feeling quite touched by the TR community suddenly)!

Hi Michael

Bad luck. Last year I was very nearly in the same trouble when I braked at a zebra crossing and the next thing I knew was a screech of tyres followed by an Aidi A8 parked on the pavement alongside me ------- a very lucky escape. However it did prompt me to fit LED bulbs to my stop lights, whether it makes any difference or not I am not quite sure.

John

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Shezbo, that's a really kind offer - I have already asked peejay to see if he can dig his centre section out of the shed - but if he cannot find it and you are still feeling generous - can I come back to you?

Cheers

Michael (feeling quite touched by the TR community suddenly)!

No worries, contact me when you want it, send me a PM and we can sort.

Regards Shezbo

Theres a late one popped up on ebay,you maybe able to do a deal if you PM them!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb9bc5095

Thanks Pilkie - nicely spotted! I shall keep a close eye on it. Thanks to the others generosity here I do now have a couple of bumpers to try - but if the price is right it won't hurt to add to the collection....!

Cheers,

Michael.

I've always felt very vulnerable to this sort of prang especially on motorways where the results could be catastrophic. In the process of rebuilding the US six that I have I've incorporated in the new loom wiring for a high level brake light. My intention is to fit a brake light (removable of course) just in front of the back deck, possibly fitted so that it looks over the hood bag. Has anybody else done this as I'm struggling to find a suitable light. I find myself wandering around car parks looking at the back of every euro box to find something that will suit the back of a TR6.

Any ideas anybody.

Dave B

Guy (Jersey Royal) has a slim one fitted under his roll bar so that it still shines out through the rear window with the hood up.

Car builder solutions do some good ones.

Stuart.