Dark blue for sidescreen car

Hi Dave

Last year while at TR Bitz I saw a car for sale with such a colour and tan upholstery which I thought was very striking. I asked Craig there what colour it was and was told TR6 blue.

If I ever repaint, that's the colour combination for me.

Dave

One of the nicest sidescreen cars that I have seen in dark blue is the TR3A that Darryl built from a new shell back in the '70s. Can't remember the number, but I'm sure it was M-reg so 1973. Probably have some pictures of it on slides in the loft.

[i wonder where it is now?]

In 1996, I saw a dark blue TR3A at the Kennet Valley Group meeting. It was a former US car and still had left hand drive. There's a chap near Toronto who has one as well. It's the one in the middle. My black TR3a is the far one. In nice sunshine. the blue sky reflects as blue off my black TR3A.

Edited by Don Elliott

As a new member / user I hope I have attached a photo of my TR3A shown on the left (on its way to the Le Mans Classic in 2008). I do not have the skills to post a larger version I am afraid. You may be able to open it in a larger scale in a new window.

This was rebuilt about 12 years ago (not by me) and at the time was painted I believe in Triumph Royal Blue, Paint Code 56 (which is available from Moss Europe). I think the dark blue is striking particularly with black and chrome / aluminium. I have seen one which looks just as good with silver painted wire wheels. The interior and dash are grey with dark blue piping. Looks fine. Not my choice and I think there are better interior colours than grey to go with the dark blue such as the red in Don's photo or a different shade of dark blue with contrasting piping.

Miles

post-10391-0-44715800-1320882292_thumb.jpg

post-10391-0-44715800-1320882292_thumb.jpg

Edited by MilesA

Niles, welcome and what a nice car.

Re. posting pics:

1. Open a Photobucket (or other free photo storage) account

2. Upload the pics on your computer to the new account

3. Select the pic you want from your account

4. Open the 'reply to this topic' window. (Or 'new topic' window)

5. Select the small picture icon you see above

6. Paste the selected pic url

7. You're in business!

Menno

Many thanks to all for taking the effort to search for and post photos; it has been very useful. I have also been searching past posts with the effect that I am now aware of more shades of blue out there in TR land than I new existed, and also less sure which I prefer. I still think Royal blue is top of the list (your car looks smashing Miles) but I also like the car off e-bay (Stuart thought it might be Mallard blue) and Winchester blue is a contender and is also an original colour.

Choices, choices....

Miles, If I PM you my e-mail address, could you send me a photo of your cars interior as well please?

Thanks once again

Dave

I think that dark blue really suits a TR! Since it's a small open top car, I think that the interior colour is as important as the body colour. Sand, beige, saddle (the colour of a well used base ball glove) with contrasting piping will complement the body colour really nice. A colour like claret red is equally good looking. And don't forget the colour of the hood and sidescreens!

Just my 2p.

Menno

This is a Winchester Blue TR3 with bicuit upholstery that I rebuilt about 4 years ago

Hi Jamie

Very nice car enhanced by the local Cape scenery, mine is a white TR3A here in Spain with wine coloured upholstery hood, side screens and tonneau cover.

We have more in common as I too love full size steam railway and 4mm scale which I do of 1933 GWR plus a bit of licence in my garage.

I lived for 30 years in S. Africa in Benoni and Durban, were we had 15F's shunting in Benoni and NG garretts on the south coast, one now of which is in Wales.

Dave

Many thanks to all for taking the effort to search for and post photos; it has been very useful. I have also been searching past posts with the effect that I am now aware of more shades of blue out there in TR land than I new existed, and also less sure which I prefer. I still think Royal blue is top of the list (your car looks smashing Miles) but I also like the car off e-bay (Stuart thought it might be Mallard blue) and Winchester blue is a contender and is also an original colour.

Choices, choices....

Miles, If I PM you my e-mail address, could you send me a photo of your cars interior as well please?

Thanks once again

Dave

Dave please PM your email address and I will dig out some photos of the interior.

Miles

Many thnaks for all your responses. I have gone for Royal Blue, although the paint that we have just bought looks quite a bit darker than Miles' car. Looking back through an old TR Action (December last year) there is an article by Ian Brown about his preparation for the RBRR. I remember seeing Ians car at the Triumph Spares Day once and remember thinking that was the colour I wanted. Does anyone perhaps have a contact for Ian?

Dave

Well all this talk of blue is timely ... mine is just back from paint. Cotswold blue (looks pretty close to Malcolm's Winchester blue).

BodyBackTogether.jpg

More pics of ongoing restoration here: http://www.triumphow...406&bodytype=18

Cheers, Mike

As a Cotswold resident, I approve, that's a lovely colour.

Here's mine in it's original colour. I love the car and am really enjoying it, but if I'd realised how much prettier they are I'd have gone for a TR3

6291665929_5b1ccfeb30_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...