What recommended spare parts for the journey??

Hi, I can't find any previous string on this - so can anyone please recommend a basic list of parts that should form an emergency repairs kit whilst on a longish journey? Many thanks, Nick

Hi Nick,

this did come up about a month or so ago.

The basic set consisted of -

Mobile phone - working with full battery.

Recovery - UK and European.

Spares that fit your skills and can be done within the hour.

Rotor, C/B, Coil, HT leads, Dizzy cap, Plugs.

Float chamber valves.

Wire and connectors

Bulbs various.

Tools to accomplish fitment of the above spares

Rainex

Fan belt

If you are going for longer trips and further afield then perhaps more adventurous spares -

Front Wheel bearings

Brake pads

Rear hub !! I know it sounds silly, but!.

Top end gasket set.

Jointing compound.

Tyre inflator aerosol.

UJ's

I'm sure it will be added to

Roger

Edited by RogerH

It's best to do all possible preventive maintenance beforehand; i.e. hoses, fan belt, fuel filter, oil/ filter, hydraulic seals ( clutch and ideally brake ), coolant flush, wiper blades and complete ignition service. I went beyond that and relubricated the wiper motor / rack <_<

After those ops on our 4000 miler we didn't need any spares I brought which included:

Alternator

Water pump / gasket

Fuel pump repair kit

Heater valve

U-joints

Plugs, points, condenser, rotor cap, dist cap

Thermostat / gasket

Taillight bulbs

Fan belt

disposable rubber gloves!

All this plus (3) quarts of my favourite motor oil went under the boot board with the spare tyre.

A carb repair kit or (2) for Strombergs or SUs is a good idea as well ( I've got Webers so nothing to wear out :D ).

It doesnt matter what you take it will always be the part you have not got that you need, so get a good breakdown cover and take a mobile phone and charger and you are set ;)

Alan

the belt and braces package from Towergate is the

most important accessory,IMHO, of course,

cheers,

Laurence

Thanks Laurence - I do have Towergate get you home insurance, so that is definitely packed!

Hi Nick,

this did come up about a month or so ago.

The basic set consisted of -

Mobile phone - working with full battery.

Recovery - UK and European.

Spares that fit your skills and can be done within the hour.

Rotor, C/B, Coil, HT leads, Dizzy cap, Plugs.

Float chamber valves.

Wire and connectors

Bulbs various.

Tools to accomplish fitment of the above spares

Rainex

If you are going for longer trips and further afield then perhaps more adventurous spares -

Front Wheel bearings

Brake pads

Rear hub !! I know it sounds silly, but!.

Top end gasket set.

Jointing compound.

Tyre inflator aerosol.

I'm sure it will be added to

Roger

Thanks Roger, some good tips there, I think the rear hub is an item too far for my capabilities, but the rest make good sense - I got stranded once in a big Healey I once had when the float chambers sank! I think a fan belt might get added too...........

It's best to do all possible preventive maintenance beforehand; i.e. hoses, fan belt, fuel filter, oil/ filter, hydraulic seals ( clutch and ideally brake ), coolant flush, wiper blades and complete ignition service. I went beyond that and relubricated the wiper motor / rack <_<

After those ops on our 4000 miler we didn't need any spares I brought which included:

Alternator

Water pump / gasket

Fuel pump repair kit

Heater valve

U-joints

Plugs, points, condenser, rotor cap, dist cap

Thermostat / gasket

Taillight bulbs

Fan belt

disposable rubber gloves!

All this plus (3) quarts of my favourite motor oil went under the boot board with the spare tyre.

A carb repair kit or (2) for Strombergs or SUs is a good idea as well ( I've got Webers so nothing to wear out :D ).

Thanks Tom - more good suggestions - alternator? Blimey. Maybe I should get a tow bar fitted so I can tow an Ifor Williams jobby to put all this lot in :-(

Hi Nick,

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=28851&st=0&p=211179&hl="touring%20kit"&fromsearch=1entry211179

search using speech marks for likely terms . . . . "touring kit" "touring spares" "emergency spares" that sort of thing !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi ALec - good tip, I downloaded the PDF and it is very useful. If I add everything on all the lists kindly provided by everyone I have almost a complete car minus the body and chassis ;-) Very useful stuff as it is my first weekend away with a bunch of other classic car owners (mine is the only TR) so I am keen that I don't have to use Towergate. Cheers Nick

You don't say where you are going, Nick.

Club Triumph is the club that organises long distance events, esp. the 10 Countries Run, around Europe.

See their 'Handy Hints' page: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/comps/mxcontent.cgi?pid=47

They used to have, but I can't find now, pages of a useful pocket translator, giving the names of many car parts in other European languages, so at least you could enquire if there was a fanbelt (say - you will have one, won't you?) in stock. Compile one for any non-English speaking contry you will visit - I mean, would you know off-hand the German for Brake Fluid? (Bremsflüssigkeit - I looked it up)

Google Translate may be your friend: http://translate.google.co.uk/#

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Nick

Next trip I'd pack a multimeter. Just got back from a long trip to Spa with the voltmeter off the scale for the last 300 miles or so. Fearing the worse I was expecting the battery to boil dry or ignition module to go pop at any moment. Turned out to be a faulty gauge, but would have been relieved to discover that at the roadside.

Hi Nick

Next trip I'd pack a multimeter. Just got back from a long trip to Spa with the voltmeter off the scale for the last 300 miles or so. Fearing the worse I was expecting the battery to boil dry or ignition module to go pop at any moment. Turned out to be a faulty gauge, but would have been relieved to discover that at the roadside.

A sidelight bulb and two bits of wire would have given you a good idea. REALLY bright to blown to bits would definitely be an over charge ;)

Stuart.

A sidelight bulb and two bits of wire would have given you a good idea. REALLY bright to blown to bits would definitely be an over charge ;)

Stuart.

Stuart

Fair point, but it's reassuring the see the alternator pumping out a constant 13.9v irrespective of rpm and a multimeter doesn't take up much space.

Hi Nick

Thanks Bill - good idea, I've always wanted one of those, but I'll have to enroll on a "how the hell do you use a multimeter" course first - next year.........8-))

You don't say where you are going, Nick.

Club Triumph is the club that organises long distance events, esp. the 10 Countries Run, around Europe.

See their 'Handy Hints' page: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/comps/mxcontent.cgi?pid=47

They used to have, but I can't find now, pages of a useful pocket translator, giving the names of many car parts in other European languages, so at least you could enquire if there was a fanbelt (say - you will have one, won't you?) in stock. Compile one for any non-English speaking contry you will visit - I mean, would you know off-hand the German for Brake Fluid? (Bremsflüssigkeit - I looked it up)

Google Translate may be your friend: http://translate.google.co.uk/#

John

John, thanks for the input - actually all I am doing is going to the Brecons!! But if we get stranded I will never get the (already highly reluctant) mem sahib in the car again, so I am doing a belt and braces job. The link you gave is useful for travelling abroad which I plan to do in France next year. Regarding language difficulties, I will just shout Brains Bitter slowly and I am sure everything will be fine!

John, thanks for the input - actually all I am doing is going to the Brecons!! But if we get stranded I will never get the (already highly reluctant) mem sahib in the car again, so I am doing a belt and braces job. The link you gave is useful for travelling abroad which I plan to do in France next year. Regarding language difficulties, I will just shout Brains Bitter slowly and I am sure everything will be fine!

WEll if you are going to poke round under the bonnet I suggest adding some wet wipes, and/or an old towel and WD40 to clean up your hands before driving off!

Mike

Hi, I can't find any previous string on this - so can anyone please recommend a basic list of parts that should form an emergency repairs kit whilst on a longish journey? Many thanks, Nick

Hi Nick

Most, if not all, has been said already, but this is what your club says.............Download section, TRR Homepage

http://www.tr-regist...ner_carb_09.pdf

I did a list for the Classic LeMans members CD, summary below

Spares carried in 93LNK

You might want/ need a variation, but this list will get you out of 99% of stuff that you'll have to deal with and stand a chance of fixing by the road side !

What goes wrong

What can YOU fix (Build your spares list around these fault areas)

Ignition (Dizzy/ leads/plugs/ Rota arm/ Coil)

Electrical other (cable/connectors/ jump leads/ 'Fan'belt)

Overheating (Fuses/fan/ Bars leaks/ Hoses)

Fuel (Pump/ fuel line/clips/ filters/ Tank seal/ T.Cable)

Punctures (Spare/ Tyre weld/ Jack/ Pump)

Exhaust (Wrap/ Gun Gumpaste/ U bolts/ mounts)

My touring parts list is

• Fuel pump ( in tank cavity)
  • 2nd coil in engine bay
  • Brake fluid 0.5Ltr
  • Bars Leak 0.5Ltr
  • Rain X (failed wipers, get you home)
  • Pack of bits: Containing…………

• Hose repair kit
  • Spare bulbs, singles
  • Double sided tape for rally plates/ number pates etc
  • Tank tape (fix leaks, body work, hoods, Surrey etc)
  • Fuses (3/8/25/35), Electric connectors/ cable
  • Bag of nuts and bolts

· WarningTriangle,

· Bonnetrelease wire,

· Black bags,doubles as water proof covers, lay mats, rubbish

· Coil ofrepair wire

· ThrottleCable

· Plastic hose(fuel line/ Overflow/ expansion bottle)

· Touring bulbkit

· Distributorinners, cap, leads, ROTOR arm, 4xPlugs,

· Emery Cloth

· Fan Belt

· Leak fix,Araldite, Instant Gasket

· Exhaustcotton reels

· Sparekeys

· Tow rope

· Jump leads

· Tyre weld (2nd puncture)

· Large cableties

· Reflectivejackets x2

· 20-50 Oil x2Ltr/ WD40 oil

· PoweredMagnetic Hazard lamp

· Torch, sparebatteries

· Hammer,

· Wide mouthpipe grip pliers,

· Tower, papertowel

· Fast Glass

· Touring ToolKit to remove/ fit the above

Hope this helps

However, everybody on this posting agrees, the VERY best kit is a mobile phone and Towergate recoverylaugh.gif

Enjoy your trip

Preventive maintenance prior to a trip is very important, but don't do it the day prior to departure! Get some miles on the car between the fettling and the departure date in order to make sure everything is in place and working properly.

If travelling abroad in Europe, buy a copy of the Register's own European Breakdown Directory, which gives lots of useful contact information for both Groups and garages - just add to that a copy of the "Overseas Groups" page of the latest TR Action, as some addresses may have changed.

Ian Cornish

Agree with getting miles out of the way but you could argue if you were a glass half empty person that this brings you closer to your next item failure!, did over a thousand before Le Mans this weekend and a thousand during the trip, this was my tenth visit, took many spares as usual but first time ever, having had a new fan belt fitted over the winter, forgot to take one.

You can gues the rest, fan belt failed in france on friday but fortunately got sorted by local french garage, cars definately know what spares you have on board!!!!!

Robert

Checking the lists I realise that I should have taken the, spare keys with me this trip, as we somehow managed to lock the boot key inside the cubby box, and had to resort to driving a small screwdriver through the lock with the wheel hammer.....in the middle of town...no one came to check what we were up to though....new lock on the Malvern shopping list now

john

...we somehow managed to lock the boot key inside the cubby box, and had to resort to driving a small screwdriver through the lock with the wheel hammer.....in the middle of town...no one came to check what we were up to though....new lock on the Malvern shopping list now

I can't remember if the TR4-5 hinges are the same, but on the sidescreen cars you can knock the hinge-pins out to get into the boot. Much cheaper than TRashing the lock and you can re-insert the pins and continue to lock and unlock the boot.

Two additons to these useful threads (and perhaps they've been mentioned before - must have missed it in that case): carrying a reflective vest in the car (and to be used when the car is on the hard shoulder of the road) is mandatory in many European countries. In Germany, a First Aid box, including rubber gloves is mandatory too.

Second: if you're near a yacht parts and repair shop, it's a good idea to pay them a visit and have a look at the spares they're selling. Without road side recovery on the middle of the ocean (...) boat owners tend to look for great quality spare parts and handy solutions for minor problems. A lot of these products are lifesavers for our cars too.

Mennno

I can't remember if the TR4-5 hinges are the same, but on the sidescreen cars you can knock the hinge-pins out to get into the boot. Much cheaper than TRashing the lock and you can re-insert the pins and continue to lock and unlock the boot.

Thanks Brian, but it was only the cubby box lock I trashed to get the keys out

john