BRAKE FLUID

A simple question do I use Silicone brake fluid or not Just finishing full brake rebuild all new components.Would appreciate comments Thanks

No. Standard Dot 4 is the fluid of choice.Additional information on silicon fluid

Stuart.

...if you have just finished rebuilding the brakes with all new components then the standard seal fitment would be for DOT 4.

If you want to use DOT 5 silicone then you should use seals suitable for it although unused standard seals would probably be OK.

Roger

In answer to your question,I renewed the braking system om my 4a early last year and filled it with Silicon fluid (as advised by many other Senior TR owners)then did a tour of France and many weekends away in the UK with no problems whatsoever,driving at high speeds,the car has since passed it's MOT with no problems on the brake testing facility.

regards Lee Dutton

When 4VC was rebuilt in the early '90s, I discussed fluid options with Neil Revington and, as all seals were brand new, opted for silicon brake fluid. I've been driving the car since July 1993 and have had no problems with braking - or with the clutch.

Ian Cornish

Hi

With brand new seals, silicone should be fine.

I had a problem with a sticking servo after swapping fluid.

New servo, new seals and lubed seals with "Molykote" silicone grease has given several thousand miles of trouble-free motoring.

Check previous threads too.

Ade

In 1990, I finished the restoration of my 1958 TR3A which I had bought brand new in May, 1958. I changed all the seals and hoses and used purple coloured silicone fluid since then for the brakes and clutch. I have had only one problem. That was in 2001 when I drove 5250 miles return to VTR in Colorado and spent over a week at altitudes ranging between 10,000 ft and 12,300 ft. Whereas I had no problem at sea level, I can only assume that some air dissolved ? in the silicone fluid came out of suspension (sort of like getting the nitrogen bends). With the help of a friend, we had the brakes bled in less than 30 minutes. All the bubbles spit out and everything was fine after that.

During the interval 1990 to 2010, I have driven with silicone fluid more than 105,000 miles. I store the car for 5 months every winter and the brake pistons in the front calipers and rear 10" diameter drums have never rusted or been an issue of any kind. The slippery nature of silicone fluid keeps things nicely lubricated. I would estimate that I have changed the fluid three times.

I have heard from the guys and gals who race TRs they will not use silicone brake fluid.

Hi Don,

your suggestions re altitude driving are quite correct, the air (and moisture) that has become suspended within SBF drops out to form air and/or water bubbles at the business end of the system, and requires bleeding. It's that normally suspended air which gives rise to the 'sponginess' that can sometimes be experienced in an SBF filled system - air compresses.

Racers don't like SBF for one simple reason, the boiling point is too low for serious race applications - or for serious stage rallying, for that matter. OK for less strenuous disciplines - I use SBF in the TR8 Drag Car, the car is rarely used, stopping from a 1/4 mile run doesn't exceed the boiling point of SBF, and the brake components are not TR but more modern competition items entirely compatible with SBF.

If I was in the position of trelfin4, then I'd cover my back by seeking confirmation from my suppliers of brake system components that their fine products are entirely compatible with SBF. Most current production items ought to be, the potential problems occur primarily with 'new old stock' component.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi all,

I use DOT 5.1. Don't let it fool you: It's a mineral upgrade for DOT 4. Should be called DOT 4.1 in fact but what the heck ... I'm very happy with it.

At least when I have a car to drive....

Badfrog

Hi all,

I use DOT 5.1. Don't let it fool you: It's a mineral upgrade for DOT 4. Should be called DOT 4.1 in fact but what the heck ... I'm very happy with it.

At least when I have a car to drive....

Badfrog

Just remember that has a recommended service interval of 18 months as opposed to 3 years for Dot4. (We do remember to change it every 3 years dont we chaps ;):lol: )

Stuart

Hi Badfrog,

DOT 5.1 is very similar to DOT 4 but is intended for cars with ABS. Dot 4 would be better (honest, really)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Didn't know that. Quite interesting. I will revert to DOT 4 when servicing comes up.

Cheers,

Badfrog