Rally of the Tests 2010

Hi all

Next Sunday we are off to play again, starting in Dublin on the 10th anniversary Rally of the Tests .... see the link here. http://www.classicrally.org.uk/rott2010/index.html

Here is the intro from the CRA website.

To celebrate the 10th Anniversary running of the event, this year’s Rally of the Tests will be a bit longer than normal and will feature a start and a few days of competition on the Emerald Isle...

From a mid morning start close to Dublin on Monday 15th November, crews will spend the next three days exploring classic rallying terrain in Counties Wicklow, Kilkenny, Carlow and Kildare. With the help of their many Irish motorsport friends and associates, Fred Bent and Anthony Preston have been busy putting together a route that includes the best that the Emerald Isle has to offer.

RouteMap490.gif Crews will return to the UK by ferry on Thursday morning for a lunchtime restart from Anglesey Race Circuit. This will also see the start of the UK-only “home run” event for crews who don’t have the time to complete the full event.

Leaving Anglesey, the event heads south into the Cambrian Mountains to trace a new route through Mid Wales en-route to an overnight halt in the Potteries area. The next day’s route takes in traditional sections in the Derbyshire Dales before crews head north and east into Yorkshire to sample some new tests and enjoy some old favourites.

After a night’s rest in the popular Rally of the Tests watering hole of Scarborough, a final day’s coast to coast run through classic rallying territory in the Yorkshire Dales and the Lancashire Fells will bring this Anniversary event to Blackpool - from where it all started 10 years ago - for the final tests and the prizegiving gala dinner.

http://www.classicrally.org.uk/rott2010/entry.html

With only 60 entries being accepted for the Irish section of the event, there is likely to be a large demand for entries so prospective competitors are encouraged to contact the Rally Office as soon as possible to secure their place on this special event.

<br class="clearfloat"> © Copyright 2010 - The Classic Rally Association

Entries are full again; so for the TR's in Class 5 we have a 5 cars running, plus a bi and rapid XK150 and an Auatin Squealey which i dare say will also be quick as its from across the water;

Class 5 Sports over 1650cc

7Charles Graves(GB) / Ron Palmer(GB)1958 - Jaguar XK150 FHC3781 9Tom Callanan(IRL) / Chris Towers(GB)1962 - Triumph TR42138 12Bernard Bradley(IRL) / Vincent Fagan(IRL)1965 - Austin Healey 30002912 16Jonathan Hancox(GB) / Richard Lambley(GB)1962 - Triumph TR42138 20Michael Harrison(GB) / Lorna Harrison(GB)1959 - Triumph TR3A1998 24Tony Sheach(GB) / Rob Kiff(GB)1964 - Triumph TR42138 40Sue Shoosmith(GB) / Trina Harley(GB)1958 - Triumph TR3A2138

There are a host of belting cars and very good crews in this year, so its bound to be very competative.

Hope to see you out there somewhere.

Regards

Tony

Good luck Tony and all the TR crews. This sounds like an even better event that the usual Rally of the Tests - I'm very envious!!!

If you can organise any kind of updates/blogs at the end of each day to let us know how you're doing, that would be fun. I am assuming that the raly website runs daily results...?

Cheers!

Hi all - met up with TRNIALL and a few more of Irish TR members at Dun Laoighre port to welcome those travelling on the Stena HSS only to find it was cancelled, meanwhile TR4TONY had arrived on the Irish Ferries 'slowboat' into Dublin Port - no matter we travelled to CityWest hotel where we met up with him there. The weather was perfect for top down driving and I only hope the guys get a few days of decent weather while here in Ireland.

Regards

Had a great day Today following the Stages/tests.

My last job this evening was to drive back from Wexford to locate a MK3 Spitfire overdrive G/Box to put into a Standard 10 :o so they could continue on on the Rally,looks like its going to be a long night :huh: The joy of Motoring :P

The sad news on Saturday was that Frank Fennell had been taken into hospital and would therefore not be joining us for at least the Irish section of the event. Frank has been trying to persuade us to bring the event to his homeland for many years and it was felt that this, the 10th Anniversary was an ideal time to run an extended event. (Frank is reported as doing fine and threataning to join us later in the week.)

Edited by stiggy

The sad news on Saturday was that Frank Fennell had been taken into hospital and would therefore not be joining us for at least the Irish section of the event. Frank has been trying to persuade us to bring the event to his homeland for many years and it was felt that this, the 10th Anniversary was an ideal time to run an extended event. (Frank is reported as doing fine and threataning to join us later in the week.)

Excellent. Give Frank my regards If you see him.

Stuart.

I see that TR4Tony is sneaking up the field.... Up to 6th o/a after today's (Wednesday's) leg.

Others:

Jonathon Hancox/Richard Lambley (presumably in 7VC): 9th

The Harrisons (TR3A): 14th

Sue Shoosmith/Trina Harley (TR3A): 15th

Tom Callanan/Chris Towers (TR4): 16th

These teams also occupy places 1-5 in their class keeping the big Healey and Chrysler at bay...

Nice work!

Had a great day Today following the Stages/tests.

My last job this evening was to drive back from Wexford to locate a MK3 Spitfire overdrive G/Box to put into a Standard 10 :o so they could continue on on the Rally,looks like its going to be a long night :huh: The joy of Motoring :P

Hey Niall

Looks like your efforts paid off the Standard 10 came in 12th - so does Luke get his gearbox back and will it improve his Spitfire??

Hey Niall

Looks like your efforts paid off the Standard 10 came in 12th - so does Luke get his gearbox back and will it improve his Spitfire??

Standard 10 finished 12th and first in class :D Happy Days.

Congratulations to all other Triumph entrants a clean sweep in Class 5 :P .

Congratulations also to Tr4Tony/Rob Kiff navigator, our very own Forum member who finished 6th overall and First in Class.

Congratulations must also go to Dermot Carneige/Iain Tullie who won the Event overall in there Alfa Romeo Sprint :P .We aint much use at Football :( but when it comes to Historic Rallying Paddy aint bad :lol: .

I saw the cars at Market Drayton on Thursday night. I was rather surprised to see one of these beauties taking part..

HPIM1416.jpg

Other unusual entrants included a pre-war Chrysler, a beautiful Alfa coupe (not a Guilietta - it looked early 60s) - and a Scimitar :o

Regards

Peter

Edited by dykins

I saw the cars at Market Drayton on Thursday night. I was rather surprised to see one of these beauties taking part..

HPIM1416.jpg

Other unusual entrants included a pre-war Chrysler, a beautiful Alfa coupe (not a Guilietta - it looked early 60s) - and a Scimitar :o

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Did you spot the forum member "Wee Willy" AKA Bill Piggot out as a marshal, observing any misdermeanours at cone "A"?

Kind regards

Andrew

Andrew

Yes, I saw an official looking chap with his flat cap and clipboard who I assume from what you say was BP.

I also noticed that he took photos of mainly - but not exclusively - the TRs.

Regards

Peter

Hi all

Thanks to the many who we saw en route and at controls and tests, including Bill. I tried my best to slither round in one piece and we had a good event. Only some brake wear and a duff fuel pump got in the way, so 6th overall and 1st in class for Beastie, Rob and I, followed by Jonno and Richard in 7VC and Tom and Chris in the blue TR4.

Particular thanks to our many Irish friends .... Its greatto rally across the water.

Next out on LEJOG on the 3rd December with Richard in the hot seat, so a big service to do !! ... see you in the snow.

Regards

Tony