£30k for a TR6 !?!

Crazy, isn't it?

Sill making a huge loss, even if someone was to buy it at that price.

You know, I cannot claim mine has the SPL treatment, but looking at a lot of classics recently, I have come to the conclusion that what I have is actually 95% of what is described in that link.

I'm a cup half empty person, and everyone that has seen my car and been it it has remarked that it is like a new one.

Hmm... this has gotten me thinking ;)

Hi all,

Is it my eyes, or is the petrol vinyl trim panel a different shade of Shadow Blue. Not that you would see much of it with the top down.

Just an observation.

Dave

Hi all,

Is it my eyes, or is the petrol vinyl trim panel a different shade of Shadow Blue. Not that you would see much of it with the top down.

Just an observation.

Dave

It seems to match the doors, but the wheel arch covers certainly are a different shade.

That is Nuts :blink: - big deal, it is restored to as new or better. But when they were new they were not the greatest!

All standard off the shelf components to rebuild all the various bits - so what - those bits are cheap.

I could ask for 35k for mine but it would not be worth it - and it has a 12-15k engine! Daft.

Fine for cruising - but you could fine a "great" one for 20k with lots of the right performance mods. ;)

Remember though...somethings only worth whats someones willing to pay for it.

I think we have this same problem here in Australia, just because someone has sunk $10K into an engine doesnt make the car worth $10K+.

Given the time of year (Summer time over there) I guess its a good time to sell, but with the aftermath of the GFC (and still ongoing if the Spanish economy is anything to go by) Im not so sure it will go for that price and wouldnt be at all surprised if its still for sale in 6 months time..especially if there are other good/V good examples around for $10K less!

Yes some people are asking for a lot of money for TRs; I was only talking to towergate and suggested their scale for valuation should be adjusted as cars seem to be of a higher value than they were a few years ago

Just on the values of cars I was looking in this months {Octane magazine} and there is a TR 8 worksupported rally car in there for £54,995, and a TR 4 with works rally spec for £39,995 so if you have got a few bob to spare you can splash out and buy yourself a nice run about with or without road tax

Remember though...somethings only worth whats someones willing to pay for it.

I think we have this same problem here in Australia, just because someone has sunk $10K into an engine doesnt make the car worth $10K+.

Given the time of year (Summer time over there) I guess its a good time to sell, but with the aftermath of the GFC (and still ongoing if the Spanish economy is anything to go by) Im not so sure it will go for that price and wouldnt be at all surprised if its still for sale in 6 months time..especially if there are other good/V good examples around for $10K less!

Andrew is bang on there. I have spent in excess of $40,000.00 on mine (not complaining), but I don't expect to get it back, that wasn't the point of the exercise for me...I just wanted to rebuild a car preferably a TR6. Some may say I spent too much on it and they're probably right...IF, I intended to sell it (which I don't). The only way it would win out is in a sale where it was being compared to another similar year and priced vehicle, the buyer would be silly not to buy mine. I do think however, that the price of our cars will appreciate, it's only natural as they get more and more rare. The price of a vehicle should never be set based on a country's economy, people only sell them if they need money...not buy them.

The question is, would I have bought the vehicle we are talking about...definitely not, mainly for the reason I mentioned previously but I still think it's too expensive compared to what is available at the moment. The average person doesn't buy a TR6 to do up and make a profit.

As I said in a post some time back, we don't really own these cars, we are just it's keeper for a time and it's our job to spend a bit of money on them and eventually someone else takes on that role.... ;) ...but we rarely recoup the money we spent do we?..... :o:D

Cheers

Tony (Temporary TR6 keeper)

Even immaculate as new or better if it is built with the same spec bits (the bits you can't see) it will handle and go like a **** early 70's car.

Fine for the Touring and the Pub meets but not a great car unless alot spent on it, and yes - most of that is never going to be gotten back unless sold split up.

They can be great cars but over 20k for a stunning condition car based on standard replacement bits forget it. Same car with steel engine all the trick bits would be worth maybe 30 or even 35. Murder E-types when like this. But stand one will get mugged by any Mondeo.

:P

Even immaculate as new or better if it is built with the same spec bits (the bits you can't see) it will handle and go like a **** early 70's car.

Fine for the Touring and the Pub meets but not a great car unless alot spent on it, and yes - most of that is never going to be gotten back unless sold split up.

They can be great cars but over 20k for a stunning condition car based on standard replacement bits forget it. Same car with steel engine all the trick bits would be worth maybe 30 or even 35. Murder E-types when like this. But stand one will get mugged by any Mondeo.

You sure you are not after buying it yourself? :lol:

Edited by trfella

If we're considering top notch TRs, it beats me how anyone can make an informed valuation based on an advert and a handful of snapshots.

The devil is in the detail, if a potential buyer asked me to take a look at a really well restored TR I wouldn't find it easy to determine if it's worth £20K, £25K or £30K without a thorough visual inspection, proper road test, and a wade through the paper history and rebuild specification. Probably a couple of hours work. It's a damn sight harder to judge an apparently excellent car than an average TR or a basket case, these more mundane offerings can usually be assessed in half an hour at most.

Or am I missing something here ?

Cheers,

Alec

Cosmetic, i.e. non-mechanical work can easily surpass the £30K mark, and photos will never do justice to the end result. I think I could evaluate that part easily enough ( in the flesh ) and hang the rest - but whether the market will bear the price for the model in question is T.B.D. ( and in this case, affirmative! ).

Relying on others as most must to undertake portions of the work, I am appreciating just how elusive a sublime result can be - a trend toward the worse I'm afraid, as expectations are met less and less with the passage of time. This is as true for mechanical work, if not more so :( .

Edited by Tom Fremont

WHAT!!! for a car with horrid chrome wheels, RED brake drums, and oh no look where they fitted the front number plate! HAHAHAHA! AWFUL! Actually I'm just jealous of the engine compartment!

Beauty is in the beholder, some folk have more money than sense!

My 6 is totally unrestored, cost me £1,175.00 when I bought it in 1972, and I made them put new tyres on it! I have no idea what it's worth, and don't want to either!

Guys

I do not have my 40th Aniversarry TR Action with me but can I refer you to Graham Robson's piece at the very end (i think) of Bill P's wonderful tome.

This thread and Graham's piece seem to resonate with each other methinks.

Regards

Tim

In one of 5 Leicestershire Group TR's staying in a small Chateau south of Bordeaux.

Someone has probably done just as you have described Alec; well either that, or jellison bought it ;)

:lol:

I have the Best TR6 in the country anyway - why would I want to dog slow, awful handling immaculate stanrd thing ;)

My 4 ain't bad either.