Its complete but obviously a bit weatherworn - but not damaged as such.

Been outside for quite a while, is it of any value ?

Yes, quite a bit. A very unusual item.

Are you sure it's from a Dove?

AlanR

100% its from a Dove, still has the 'TR4A IRS' badges on it. Owner had it fitted to a white 1965 car but it was split up years ago.

The owner is not in the best of circumstances so I would like to help him with it - but thats why I wanted an idea of value before we get too far - could someone advise a guide price for it please?

Many Thanks

Pilkie, perhaps I should have said some other figure over 100% that its a Dove Hardtop?

Or is it because its a rare item it is being queried?

The owner ran the car for 13 years before splitting it up so I guess he knows a bit about it.

Its a Dove Hardtop - I have seen it.

So, would any of the TR4 or Dove guys like to suggest some rough guide values please?

Sincerely,Bob

TR register member 4743

Bob.

Sorry to hyjack the thread, but...

Out of pure curiousity

As a TR6 person I have seen TR4 Doves but thought that they were a total fixed head conversion and that the top was not detachable. Am I wrong in this or did Dove do both the full fixed head conversion and a detachable hardtop?

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

the Dove was indeed a fhc, but the construction is such that it's not that difficult to revert a Dove to back to normal TR configuration, or vice versa. Major work, but not a drama.

Hi Dave,

I think we can take it as read that Bob knows what he's talking about, he's been around TRs longer than most folks on the Forum . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Sorry to question you,but as you are a newish member to the forum,and having to ask if its of value,questions will be asked to confirm if it is genuine or not!

Its all well and good saying its 100%+++ a dove top,but does it look like whats on the car in the pic???

A pic posted of it would be good!

I know somewone else who thought a basic hardtop made for the TR range in the 60/70's was something special,it wasnt!

We are a sceptical bunch on the whole,and normally like proof of what an item is! ;)

Alec,

You obviously know who this person is more than most on the forum would.

For us who dont!Seeing a new member joining in feb 10 and with limited postings!

We havent a clue if he knows what he is talking about or not!!

Edited by PILKIE

OK Pilkie, if proof is needed:

please tell me I haven't made a mistake - god I do hope its not yet another variant ??????

Love the picture Bob, reminds of the management wisdom of David Brent...."accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." :lol::lol:

Anyone going to have a shot at what the original question was, i.e. what is it worth?

Accepting that it is quenuine, and steel, and usable, and the thought of converting a 4 or 4A, its a 64,000 dollar question, but I would hazard a guess at £400.00/£500.00 or so.

Any Thoughts?

John.

OK Pilkie, if proof is needed:

please tell me I haven't made a mistake - god I do hope its not yet another variant ??????

haha! :)

nice pic! shame it doesnt prove what top it is!! ;)

If somewone were interested and took your word for it,and travelled to find that it wasnt right,then would'nt they feel like they've been shat on!

Apparently you know your stuff,and I bow to your expertise!!

As you are a new forum user/poster,most of us dont know who you are or what you know???

As for what its worth,whatever you can get for it!!

start high and come down,better than underselling

Edited by PILKIE

Anyone going to have a shot at what the original question was, i.e. what is it worth?

Accepting that it is quenuine, and steel, and usable, and the thought of converting a 4 or 4A, its a 64,000 dollar question, but I would hazard a guess at £400.00/£500.00 or so.

Any Thoughts?

John.

pretty sure you will find that the roofs are fibreglass..............

if it comes with the tailgate with glass and the trims i would put a value of £1000 if in decent nick!

It's a Dove for sure, not a pigeon.

In a state that it can be renovated and reutilised, even as a bare shell, it has to be worth a monkey.

How much more it might be worth depends on whether or not the glass and ancillary bits are present, and in what condition, and just how many owners are looking for Dove spares or a Dove conversion kit. Anything up to a brace or a trio of monkeys . . . ?

Cheers,

Alec

ok - I've taken a photo since its still needed, all I really needed was a rough price guide, thanks to those that have taken a stab at this.

BTW, both side glasses are in, rear glass, catches etc are all available, the trim has suffered outdoors but is present. Some filler around the lower rear panel but strength / rigidity not compromised

Does anyone seriously want it?

Interesting to see that it was from a 4a as very few of them were converted. I would say that if that turned up at Malvern the European boys would be falling over themselves to buy it.I would put it in the £750/£1000 mark as its pretty complete. I wonder if he still has the special rear seat/fuel tank/boot board that went with it.

Stuart.

Stuart has just beaten me to it.

This will sell well into Europe either via ebay, or at malvern.

However, I wouldn't hang around too long as it will be likely to get more expensive (and therefore possibly slightly less appealing) in € terms as the € weakens against other currencies, including Sterling.

David

It's a Dove for sure, not a pigeon.

In a state that it can be renovated and reutilised, even as a bare shell, it has to be worth a monkey.

How much more it might be worth depends on whether or not the glass and ancillary bits are present, and in what condition, and just how many owners are looking for Dove spares or a Dove conversion kit. Anything up to a brace or a trio of monkeys . . . ?

Cheers,

Alec

there you go pilk a monkey

and we all no you love a bit of monkey on the side :P

lets hope Mr Bob doesn't hit it with a hammer like some we no :D

regards pink

• 1 month later...

Did the Dove roof sell ? I'm after parts i.e windows catches and gutters for my Dove , I'm re building , If its not sold please contact me and I can at least take a look and make an offer before you place on e-bay Regards Derek

Its complete but obviously a bit weatherworn - but not damaged as such. Been outside for quite a while, is it of any value ?

Hi Bob,

I would be interested in roof, and I'm only down the road, if not sold please contact me regards Derek.

ok - I've taken a photo since its still needed, all I really needed was a rough price guide, thanks to those that have taken a stab at this.

BTW, both side glasses are in, rear glass, catches etc are all available, the trim has suffered outdoors but is present. Some filler around the lower rear panel but strength / rigidity not compromised

Does anyone seriously want it?