Good Afternoon All

Just to say I am an excited chap, have just purchased a TR3A. :):)

It is to keep the TR6 company!!

No doubt I shall be pestering this forum now along with the 6 forum when I get confused ( which happens often ) :D:D

Cheers for now.

Nick.

First, congrats with the purchase!

Second: set up a Photobucket account and use 'bulk uploader' to put the pics into the account (and yes, the originals stay on your hard disk). After uploading the pics to Photobucket. Every Photobucket pic shows 4 slots on the Ph'bucket page, below the picture. you can copy-paste the pics into your posting here on the forum. Copy-paste the forth: the one starting with

Just try it!

Menno

Its a TR3B, isnt it a post 60K one with those headlamp rims. Definately the dingos donga.

Great complimentary colour combination too.

Well done sir.

I also put feelers out to a bloke localy who has a TR2 or 3 not too sure which its not mot'd with brake problems, ex racing car with tint fuel tank and unused for a couple of years.

I was sure he would sell it so I sent a note etc,etc, but met with silence I'm afraid

Hi Nick,

Very Nice looking motor.

Whos a lucky chap then. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy

I am a lucky chap :D:D

One small issue has just arisen, the wife has just informed me it is our platinum wedding anniversary tmrw !!!!! :(:(:(:(

Totally forgot and after todays antics am going to have to go on a mission first thing in the morning. :huh:

Can not wait to take delivery !

Cheers

Nick.

Hello Nick. I am a newbie, but welcome to the forum. I have a TR3B with TR-6 FSU and brakes. Your cars are beauties, particularly your TR3. I am sure that you have already found out that there is not much documentation on what is on your B. The S-T Spare Parts Catalog will list some new part numbers, but NO REFERENCE TO COMMISSION NUMBER. In some cases, depending on the component, you can "guess" that it is the TR3B.

But then, is it from the TSF series or the TCF series? Hopefully, your car still has its original equipment on it, either new or rebuilt. In my case, my car was rescued as a basket case, so the rebuilder installed things that would either make the car more dependable (electric ignition, alternator) or easier to drive (rack & pinion, 195 tires) and a lot of neato-keeno stuff from Moss (Moto-lita, Monza, fog lights).

Again, good luck with both your TRs. There is a good source of TR3B knowledge on here, but it doesn't come from the Brits! They explained it to me last year: Holland, Italy, Australia, et al received some shipments of Bs from America, but England didn't get any! Or some such.

Welcome!

post-7640-127009083673_thumb.jpg

post-7640-127009083673_thumb.jpg

Hi Nick,

Nice TR3A! Is that the one advertised on ebay? I was eyeing it up and it looked real nice.

Having just finished my GT6 to go with my 4A I am now looking for a 3A for restoration, hopefully a left hand drive to remind me of the car I had when I lived in Montreal way back in 1965. TRs that I have inspected in the UK have not come up to scratch so I have been on the websites suggested by Badfrog (Europe) and Don Elliot (America) - see Is it a TR2 or 3. So far no luck but one that I spotted in the US, and surprisingly not on Don's list, is a Craigslist entry for a TR3B in bits in Central New Jersey. I really fancy that as a challenge but the thought of transportation to the UK fills me with horror. I guess that I must keep looking.

I understand that Don Elliot is a long term resident resident of Montreal. So just maybe he will recognise my old car. It was a 1960/61 in red with white hood and red seats. It carried the attached rather obvious plate which had a high "Spotted you" factor. It was quite a relief when the number changed at the end of the year. Initial habitat was Queen Mary Road NDG and latterly St Joseph's Boulevard, Lachine. Regretably the car was a victim of winter ice on the Pont Mercier. In 1967 it was replaced by the new TR4A that I still own.

Tim

PS I hope attachment works.

Hi Nick,

Nice TR3A! Is that the one advertised on ebay? I was eyeing it up and it looked real nice.

Having just finished my GT6 to go with my 4A I am now looking for a 3A for restoration, hopefully a left hand drive to remind me of the car I had when I lived in Montreal way back in 1965. TRs that I have inspected in the UK have not come up to scratch so I have been on the websites suggested by Badfrog (Europe) and Don Elliot (America) - see Is it a TR2 or 3. So far no luck but one that I spotted in the US, and surprisingly not on Don's list, is a Craigslist entry for a TR3B in bits in Central New Jersey. I really fancy that as a challenge but the thought of transportation to the UK fills me with horror. I guess that I must keep looking.

I understand that Don Elliot is a long term resident resident of Montreal. So just maybe he will recognise my old car. It was a 1960/61 in red with white hood and red seats. It carried the attached rather obvious plate which had a high "Spotted you" factor. It was quite a relief when the number changed at the end of the year. Initial habitat was Queen Mary Road NDG and latterly St Joseph's Boulevard, Lachine. Regretably the car was a victim of winter ice on the Pont Mercier. In 1967 it was replaced by the new TR4A that I still own.

Tim

PS I hope attachment works.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/

Hi Tim

There are some good looking cars on the above site.

I found my new toy on there, not a site a have looked at that often before. It does not pop up on google searches as prominently as some other sites, or perhaps it is just me not sure. :(

Cheers.

Nick.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/

Hi Tim

There are some good looking cars on the above site.

I found my new toy on there, not a site a have looked at that often before. It does not pop up on google searches as prominently as some other sites, or perhaps it is just me not sure. :(

Cheers.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for letting me know where you found your 3A. I have had a look at the link and was surprised to see so many pristine examples available, but then it is Spring and the best time to sell! As for project cars for restoration I guess I will have to wait a bit longer. Never mind half the fun is in waiting.

Will look out for your lovely car at the TR event at Malvern later this year.

All the best,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening All

At last I have picked up my TR3A. :D

And here as predicted is my first request for advice.

When I took the car for a test drive the overdrive worked fine. Guess what on my trip home the overdrive worked not at all. :(

All suggestions as to the obvious things to check would as always be much appreciated.

Apart from this I loved the drive home despite the rather cool evening.

Looking forward to tmrw when I can play some more.

Thanks in anticipation

Nick.

Hi Nick

Love the new addition, I hope your not going to push the 6 to one sidewink.gif, Your are going to have trouble choosing which one to use.

She looks like a real beauty. Who's a luck boy thentongue.gif.

Hi Martin

No the 6 is staying love it. it was our first TR and has been so good ( a real nice first TR from Marko ). What a different drive the 3A is, mind you it is 15 years senior to the 6 and I can well imagine in 1960 it was cutting edge.

Expecting as there always is with new toys a few issues to resolve, but that is all part of the " joy " of classic cars as I am sure you know !! ;)

Cheers.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Shame you had overdrive troubles when collecting the new acquisition, as early problems can take the gloss off.

Lovely colour the dark BRG.

First check the electrical circuit from the O/D toggle switch, which can suddenly collapse internally; the relay behind the battery box; the lock-out switches on top of the gearbox, down to the solenoid. Wiring connections in the O/D loom can pull apart or fail to pass current. Solenoids can fail suddenly without warning.

If the electrics check out OK, then it could be an internal problem with the O/D oil pump, and probably needs checking by an expert.

Regards,

Viv.

I just noticed the photo of the black TR3A for the first time. Folks, is THAT car supposed to be the TR3B he is talking about? RIGHT HAND DRIVE? All the Bs were made for the USA, and I am sure that none of them was RHD. I would have noticed this before, but this is the first time I have seen this photo, as I responded earlier to welcome him on board.

Please straighten me out here! I must have misunderstood something between the English-to-American translation.

Hello George

The car is not supposed to be a TR3B !

The car is British Racing Green.

The British Motor Industry Heritage Certificate shows the car was built in March 1960 and shipped to Los Angeles on 24 March 1960.

Around 10 years ago the car came back from L.A. at which time it had a ground up restoration and was converted to RHD.

Cheers.

Nick.

31-03-2010165151.jpg

Not sure if this has worked :(

Nick

Oh appears to have worked

Hi Nick

lovely looking car mate! and a good registration too. HSL in the RAF stood for High Speed Launch and had 3 Napier Lions to propel it. It was used to pick up down pilots in the Channel during the war. Maybe you can do some Low Level Flying in it when "The Old Bill" ain't looking!

Let us know your commission number.

Enjoy it

Dave

31-03-2010165151.jpg

Not sure if this has worked :(

Nick

Oh appears to have worked

Hi Nick

lovely looking car mate! and a good registration too. HSL in the RAF stood for High Speed Launch and had 3 Napier Lions to propel it. It was used to pick up down pilots in the Channel during the war. Maybe you can do some Low Level Flying in it when "The Old Bill" ain't looking!

Let us know your commission number.

Enjoy it

Dave

Nick - With that Comm. No., the "L" stands for LHD as you wrote that it went to Los Angeles originally.

Don

Thanks for that, that is two things I have learnt today.!! :)

Been out for a great run this afternoon, done 200 miles in less than a week really enjoying the 3A, even getting used to the steering :D

Cheers.

Nick.