TR3A - Reversing Light

Did the factory offer an optional reversing light for the side-screen cars? I have not found anything in my collection of books and magazine articles. What about other (English) cars of that era. Was it common practice for cars to have factory fitted reversing lights.

Has anyone added a reversing light to his TR?

Thanks

My Spare Parts Catalogue shows a "Reversing Light (c/w Wwitch and Cable)"; part number 502251. The same "kit"(?) is listed in my Standard Pennant Spare Parts Catalogue. My guess is that this "kit" is a lamp such as the Lucas L494 and a dash-mounted on-off switch, but I don't know for sure.

In the Parts Book 501653, covering TR2/3/3A (called the 1958 Model), there is

Reversing Light (c/w Switch & Cable) Part 502251.

In Bill Piggott's book "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A", this is confirmed as the Part Number, and he states: "Fitted to rear over-rider bracket. The full kit is said to have comprised two lamps, one fitted to the side of each over-rider". I have seen a reversing lamp, with chrome case fitted above one over-rider (looked very neat), but cannot recollect ever seeing a pair.

I imagine that original lamps would be as rare as rocking horse droppings.

Whether Moss (or others) offer a repro version, I know not.

You could e-mail Mike Ellis, TR2/3/3A Registrar (see address in TRAction).

Ian Cornish

Thank you for the replies.

So this optional light was simply operated from a dash mounted on/off switch and not from any mechanical contrivance, e.g. gear box, etc. Correct?

I think what you are looking for is the Lucas 494. These were fitted as a kit complete with an illuminated dashboard switch, no gearbox switch at the time. There are two types, one that has the cable exit through the attachment bolt and the other through a grommet in the back of the light which is I think the later one.

As far as I know the kit was two lights mounted on their side through the top side of the overrider, at least mine were.

They do look good but virually impossible to get originals and if you do please let me know as they were prone to the mazak worm.

Rgds

Rod

I rallied my 1958 TR3A extensively from 1959 to 1965 and mounted a bracket extending upwards behind the rear bumperette on the driver's side about 5" up above the top of the bumperette and secured a Lucas 5" spot light facing backwards. It was essential if I had to turn around or back up even if I only slid past a hidden junction about 10 feet. Many regional rallies back then were run in darkness on rural roads with no streetlights. Night rallies were popular because fewer other cars would be out there during the night-time. You can see what happened in 1963 to the front during the Rallye de l'Echo on the gravel road next to the raging Riviere Rouge about 3 AM.

BTW, if a car following me during regular night-time touring came up behind me with his high-beams blazing, I would flick the switch on the dashboard to illuminate this rear mounted spot light. He quickly got the message. I had the switch mounted more towards the center - on the panel that also supported my Halda Speedpilot and my Trip-Masters.

How this brings back memories.

BTW if you look closely, you can see the rearside of the chromed body of the reversing lamp on the rear of my TR.

Edited by Don Elliott
  • 1 year later...
In Bill Piggott's book "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A", this is confirmed as the Part Number, and he states: "Fitted to rear over-rider bracket. The full kit is said to have comprised two lamps, one fitted to the side of each over-rider". I have seen a reversing lamp, with chrome case fitted above one over-rider (looked very neat), but cannot recollect ever seeing a pair.

On the European mainland, 2 reversing lights were only allowed for a short period of time (until the early 70s). It was said that 2 buring reversing lamps could confuse other motorists. That's the moment (again, on the mainland) that most motorists switched to one fog light and one reversing light.

I clearly remember my father's late 60s Austin 1800 (called 'Balanza' overhere). Around 1970 he mounted a a fog and a reversing light under the car's rear bumper. The fog light switch and the facet shaped warning light (red) are in my TR now, acting as the fan override switch and warning light!

You can see them clearly now on the pic below, the top switch and warning light next to the rev. counter.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

I agree with Rod that Lucas 494 was commonly used in period on sidescreen cars as well as rear mounted lucas 576 spots( poss a bit later ) check outthe period photos in bill piggott's book

494 s. Can be found on eBay

Anyone know where repro Lucas rally roof spot/search lights can be sourced? rms 576

Also looking for a small 5" rear mounted Marchal lamp , would swap for rear mounted 576 I have

Bill G

Hi Frank,

I fitted two front sidelight lamps to the rear spare wheel compartment door of my TR3A and these are operated from the reverse gear isolation switch which I fitted to the remote gearchange assembly. (There is a blank plug above the reverse gear selector). If you want a photo. of the rear end of my car please send me your email address on my PM. I am not keen on reversing lamps mounted on the rear over riders.

Cheers ~

Tom.

I bought a pair of L494s about 3 years ago. NIB.

Occasionally available on eBay, but they were hard to find, even 3 years ago.

As it happens, I didn't (and won't) use them. Available for sale, but in a box

in the UK and not accessible until next August!

AlanR

I have an incomplete copy of the factory 'kit' book that lists all the components in kits and their sources. Next time I am digging I will look up the kit contents and post the findings, if any.

Triumph originally gave all 'kits' a 5 as a starting part number viz 502251 for the lamp kit, 501217 for the Lucas starter drive, 502127 for a crown wheel and pinion, etc.

Kits were not drawn but listed as individual component part numbers. These may have been items bought in (Lucas lamps) that Triumph never drew or standard hardware that underwent a different final process,like chrome finish nuts, bolts, screws.

Crown wheel and pinions, were made in house, and are a kit comprised of two items. The drawing of a crown wheel and pinion is in fact a list of sub component part numbers - crown wheel or pinion. To remanufacture, you would need to get the sub component drawings to find out their specifications.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Guy, et al

Thanks for resurrecting this old query. I was not aware of the Stanpart accessories booklet. Boy, I'd love to have one of those!

From memory it cost all of £2 from a local second hand bookshop. I saw one on ebay last year at a ridiculous price, and it sold!