Ladds

This has probably been done to death, Do many of you use super unleaded rather then normal unleaded(bear with me).If you use normal unleaded I take it you use an additive with an octain boost as well as lead replacement. and with the super do you just use the lead replacement additive.

Don't know if you are aware but with the bio-fuels now being released with all oil companies the normal ul95 will have 5% bio-ethanol in it. but super unleaded will not have the ethanol in.

back to the additives is the castrol one a good bet :huh:

Not all super unleaded is created equal. Best, V-Power (99). After that for me BP Ultimate.

I never use 95.

95 is no good for a UK injection car.

Castrol Valvemaster additive.

Was using without boost, more recently with.

Has your engine got unleaded seats? Mine not.

Didn't know that Super is not going to be adulterated with bio-****. That's good news.

Ivor

BP Ultimate unleaded is my choice. I don't use an additive now. I used VSP for a while and convinced myself that it made the exhaust fumes give me a headache. I stopped using the additive and the problem went away. Probably just me being a bit weird though...

Edited by HPA 510K
Ladds

This has probably been done to death, Do many of you use super unleaded rather then normal unleaded(bear with me).If you use normal unleaded I take it you use an additive with an octain boost as well as lead replacement. and with the super do you just use the lead replacement additive.

Don't know if you are aware but with the bio-fuels now being released with all oil companies the normal ul95 will have 5% bio-ethanol in it. but super unleaded will not have the ethanol in.

In France it is now 10% :(

I used to use our local Sainsburys Super unleaded up until June this year. I took advice from the Forum - never use supermarket fuel in the TR6.

I now use Shell V-Power Super Unleaded. No additive. My car runs great and I even got 29+ mpg for my run down to Malvern this year.

My car has an unleaded head.

Roger

Ladds

The Yellow Peril loves a tank of Shell V Power and a bottle of Millers VSP. Not the cheapest option, but the car runs much better on this combination.

Have tried other high octane fuels, and the car does not feel or sound so happy :rolleyes: . Could be my imagination, but i am happy and so is the car.

Cheers.

Nick.

Not all super unleaded is created equal. Best, V-Power (99). After that for me BP Ultimate.

I never use 95.

95 is no good for a UK injection car.

Castrol Valvemaster additive.

Was using without boost, more recently with.

Has your engine got unleaded seats? Mine not.

Didn't know that Super is not going to be adulterated with bio-****. That's good news.

Ivor

Hi Ivor

Thankfully the through put of super unleaded is a lot lot less than regular 95, the companies reach there government limits by what they sell on 95 and diesel so they do not need to mess with the super <_<

I used to use our local Sainsburys Super unleaded up until June this year. I took advice from the Forum - never use supermarket fuel in the TR6.

I now use Shell V-Power Super Unleaded. No additive. My car runs great and I even got 29+ mpg for my run down to Malvern this year.

My car has an unleaded head.

Roger

No Unleaded head for me i'm affraid :blink:

No Unleaded head for me i'm afraid :blink:

That's OK. Unleaded seats can fall out. So that's six less things to worry about. :lol:

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

Hi Martin,

BP Ultimate or Shell V Power for me also. I do not have an unleaded head but I no longer use an additive. I did try Castrol Valvemaster Plus for a while but I found that the Bosch pre filter kept clogging every few hundred miles with a very, very fine sand coloured dust. The problem has gone away since I stoppped using an additive. After discussion with Malcolm of Prestige who fitted my pump he advised that with my type of motoring (lowish annual mileage and no motorway use) I would probably not need to use an additive. I check for valve seat recession but there has been absolutely none so far.

Regards

Les

Hi Lee,

the Triumph PI engine was designed to run on 100-101 octane/5 star petrol.

It wasn't and isn't ever going to be happy on 95 octane/3 star.

98-99 octane/4 star is as low as it goes, and even that will probably need some attention to Triumph's original timing recommendations.

Hence many owners, especially if their engines are at all tuned, prefer to use V-Max or similar plus octane enhancer - bringing the effective octane rating up to 100-102. Talking RON measurement of course.

Cheers,

Alec

Mine only gets Shell V-max (or whatever it is called this week) and a dash of VSP if I'm doing a long fast run. I've not been happy with the BP super unleaded, or Esso. Mine particularly does not like the Esso mix, but the Tesco super unleaded seems fine. The best ever was in Greece where Shell sell genuine 100 Octane fuel.

I'm sure we've discussed this before and someone suggested that theres no difference between brands. I have to admit that living not too far from a large refinery( Fawley) and oil terminal (Hamble), we see lots of tankers in what you might think to be the wrong livery heading away from both. So maybe it is all in the imagination?

Kevin

I used to use unleaded with Castrol valvemaster plus (bought a few bottles cheap at tatton show in 2005). I was persuaded to try a fill up with Shell V+ or optimax. No contest and it saves paying through the nose at halfrauds for the additive which is now a ridiculous price.

I seem to remember a Fifth gear test of unleaded, BP ultima and Shell v max and when used in higher performance engines the V max gave the best results.

Ladds

My engine, a 125 with a 150 cam and SU's, definitely likes Shell V-Power the best. I use Castrol Valvemaster Plus as the head has not had uthe valve seats changed. A change to anything else, including BP Ultimate, results in running-on and a noticeable loss in the sharpness of response. I first discovered V-Power in Germany and Austria 5 years ago, where it is the full 100 octane. The difference compared with what I had been using was a revelation.

Jim

I have used Tetraboost for a number of years on Jauars ,Corvettes, Austin Healys and Triumphs.

Its not a substitute it is lead and you can also control your octane, up to 106 octane can be made if required.

Why bother with phosphorous, maganese,sodium and potassium when you can have lead that woked well for 70 odd years.

Derek

A lot of cars pink, not because of the fuel but because their dizzy springs are sloppy - the loop at the end that goes over the post tends to go slack allowing more timing scatter - thus making it harder to set the timing.

I remain to be convinced that regular unleaded is the equivalent of old three star fuel & suspect that the 95 octane rating is essentially a minimum that most comfortably exceed.

I have it on good authority that at one time all BP unleaded was over 98 octane & the return of Super Unleaded was a marketing ploy to avoid loosing out to Shell (who make a big noise about their super fuels). It could well be the same is being done by many fuel companies - if the cost of making 98 octane is barely different to making 95 octane then there is little commercial argument to blending & distributing 2 fuels - simply brand the same fuel twice and sell it at a higher profit margin for the super brand.

I have used Tetraboost for a number of years on Jauars ,Corvettes, Austin Healys and Triumphs.

Its not a substitute it is lead and you can also control your octane, up to 106 octane can be made if required.

Why bother with phosphorous, maganese,sodium and potassium when you can have lead that woked well for 70 odd years.

Is this the same as Tetralead?

It seems jolly pricey. Although presumably it avoids any need for unleaded seats, because it maintains the lead memory?

Ivor