Good God Stan I didn't realise you were related to Arab Royalty :D

Last time I stayed in the West End (and it wasn't during the Blitz) a double room was about £100!

For the sort of money you paid Marko would have restored your car and put you up at the local pub for a couple of nights :D

Why yes, my cousin is Mustafa Bhadsumpgasket. He's in oil.

Stan

Well,

Spent the evening putting rebuild kits in both the clutch master and slave cylinders along with a change to silicon brake fluid.

Simon

I think by saying rebuild kits used he has fitted new seals!!!

You never did say what business you are in, DR., Lawyer, Government? Marks garage will work for 35 pounds per hr.? Well, that is 203 pounds, 5.8 X 35, right? There is now way that anyone is going to put a clutch in a TR6, for 203 pounds labor. I don't believe it. That is about $300 USD, you would get laughted out of any garage over here if you ask them would they put a clutch in anything for $300 dollars, much less a TR6. I suspect you have already called Mark, and he is not going to put a clutch in for 203 pounds. I see that people wanting something for nothing is a worldwide problem, not just in the USA.

Not all companies are out to make as much as poss!!

It wouldnt surprise me if mark does a bit better deal!

Fortunately he is one of the TR people not into ripping owners off!!

Its totally up to mark what he charges,if he is happy,and making a decent living,I am sure his customers certainly will be!!

Edited by PILKIE

If you look at the garage picture, we do not have the massive overheads of a "Main Dealer" type facility, therefore we do not need to "load" the bill to cover massive overheads, this is reflected in our reasonable hourly rate (for TR Register members) - We are also located in "sunny" Norfolk not the centre of London so that helps on costs!

Our garage, surrounding land and all the cars are ours, bought and paid for! :P We don't owe anyone any money!

We are primarily in business because we "love" TR's and they are our passion and anyone that has visited us will realise that, obviously we need to run a business and our finances are in a very healthy state, growing year on year as the business increases and diversifies.

I don't need business lessons from "TR6POO" thank you - we are doing fine as we are! ;)

If you look at the garage picture, we do not have the massive overheads of a "Main Dealer" type facility, therefore we do not need to "load" the bill to cover massive overheads, this is reflected in our reasonable hourly rate (for TR Register members) - We are also located in "sunny" Norfolk not the centre of London so that helps on costs!

Our garage, surrounding land and all the cars are ours, bought and paid for! :P We don't owe anyone any money!

We are primarily in business because we "love" TR's and they are our passion and anyone that has visited us will realise that, obviously we need to run a business and our finances are in a very healthy state, growing year on year as the business increases and diversifies.

I don't need business lessons from "TR6POO" thank you - we are doing fine as we are! ;)

If I decide Not to do the gearbox out jobbie myself, Mark will be the person who gets the business!

Simon

Morning all

I was at marko,s on Thursday having a chat about my car and possible work that i may have done during winter, the discussion was open and good advise given and the cost was not talked about. I did not know what labor rates marko had until reading this tread.

Marko will get my work when i require it, because they will give you the time and in my opinion honesty in the few times i have visited the garage.We have a chippy in skegness and could serve cheap fish and **** tates and have a brill season then next year because no one would come back business go bust then blame every body else for your inability.All marko is doing is offering a product where he will get repeat business year on year, just as we do and not going for one big hit.

Some TR owners do have deep pockets and are taken in by traders because of there enthusiasm for the marque and can become easy pickings others peoples pockets arnt so deep and now people are beginning to ask questions due to economic conditions. It will be interesting to see what other traders do in the future as there workshops lay dormant and the spanner men are painting the floors.

Heres an idea the spanners could go to work for marko cos hes going to need them with all the extra work thats coming in OR the other traders could rethink there prising policy ?

Regards Alan

I dont know how Mark can pay his folks and expenses and make a living at gbp 35 an hour. The last time I was in London that would have bought me seven cups of tea..

Mark can make a living at £35 an hour because he is in an area of the country not plagued by an astromonically high cost of living.

Hourly rates in Norfolk / Suffolk are less than half what they would be nearer London.

And I can recommend his gearbox man.

He has done a couple of mine.

Cheers

Colin

Well Marko, will you put a clutch in a TR6 for 203 pounds labor? You did not answer the question now did you? Of course the customer will furnish the parts, so you won't be able to make it up there now will you? You gave a "bottomfeeder" labor rate and still didn't get any work now did you? You know you will not do the job for 203 pounds. If you will, just say so. I am not telling you how to run your business, run it anyway you want. However, you and I both know the deal. I have done research on what trades pay in the UK versus the US. Skilled labors make about one-third more than in the US. So, I think I can make reasonable statements as to what is for real and what isn't. I stand by my statements. Oh, and Simon, are you embarrassed by what you do for a living? If not, why don't you answer?

I stand by my statements. Oh, and Simon, are you embarrassed by what you do for a living? If not, why don't you answer?

Well Glen if I was Simon I would tell you to mind your own business

N

You may wish to check other threads on the dangers of

changing to silicon fluid without at least removing and washing

all the seals to remove ALL traces of the old fluid and, preferably,

replacing ALL the seals.

I took Simon to mean that he's put sbf just in the clutch :unsure:

If he's done the brakes as well it will be an interesting test-bed for the feasibility of changing with the same components in-situ. I'll watch from a safe distance. :P

Ivor

Something of a culture clash here, I fear. This is the TR fraternity, not The Golf Club.

Things may be different across the pond, but here in the UK it's generally regarded as rather bad form to enquire as to how a chap earns his daily crust. Fine if he volunteers the information, but why should one need to enquire ? All that matters is a common interest in old cars, TRs in particular.

Heavens above, there are guys I've been chatting to at car meetings for 20 or 30 years, I haven't a clue what they do for a living - or for that matter whether they're well-heeled or running their TRs on a shoestring. What does it matter ? TRs are the common denominator.

As for the rude comments to and about Mark . . . . the 'book times' have already been detailed, so have his labour rates. Mark's blokes are experienced people. He has earned a decent reputation. Probabbly sufficient for most of us.

Excuse me TR6 Poor, but who the heck do you think you are to start casting aspersions about the business dealings of others who reside thousands of miles away ? As our Dutch friends so politely put it, if you don't like the company you can always have sex and travel . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Errrr,

Getting back to business and this topic which has already gone of on a tangent to silicon brake fluid, if one were changing to silicon, and had replaced all cylinder seals, is it recommended that disc caliper seals and rear wheel cylinders are replaced also, or will a good thorough flush through suffice?

Richard.

Dear TR6 POO ( :lol: ) - We could easily change a clutch in 5.8 hours - it takes us about 1.5 hours to remove the box maximum - you do the maths!

(no I will then) That leaves 4.3 hours to fit a clutch - no problem - I could do that single handed, but I have greasy people for those tasks

I'm not sure what your agenda is but you are starting to annoy people....

I think the original quote for 5.8 hours is reasonable - it was the labour rate that was in question, not the time to do the job - I merely stated what labour rate we charge for TR Register Members....

It sounds to me like you "Milk" people for money - I don't

So I wish you luck and go forth and multiply (I would suggest that he probably won't get this part of the joke!)

:P

I feel I have to add my opinion here as well now it's hotting up.

Some things you have to pay for. If you want **** then pay ****. Personally I would rather have a proper job, done properly, by people who care, for a price that's fair.

I don't know Marko and I've never met him however, he contributes here an awful lot and appears to be passionate about TR's on the whole. If you don't like Marko's prices - simple; go elsewhere! (see note above)!

Personally, you would have to pay me more than £203 to fit a clutch. I've done my own and I wouldn't want to do anyone else's, ball-aching job!

Simon; what you do for a living is your business and nobody elses. I don't know you either, I have no idea what you do, and am not particularly bothered.

Do we have a common interest in TR's? and do we wish to stop the ranting about each other for what you may or may not want?

Please. We don't need this here!

Regards

Rob.

p.s. Can't get the 6 off the driveway 'cos the builders have blocked the exit with a ton of sand, a ton of gravel and 3 pallets of bricks. The sun is shining and I'm pissed off!

Mark, just answer me this and be done with it. Will you install a clutch in a TR6 for $203 pounds if the customer furnishes the parts. Yes or no, forget the book hrs. just put it in writing in here, $203 pounds, customer supplies the parts, yes or no? I am not questioning the quality of your work, just the end price. I don't believe anyone will put a clutch in for that if the customer supplies the parts. $203 + VAT, Yes or no.

You obviously cant do the math!!

5hrs is plenty of time for marko's guys!

ie

1.5h box out,,

1.5h fitting clutch components and a cuppa and sarnie,.

1.5h box in.

.5h cleaning up,and another cuppa!! :P

= 5hr @£35ph =£175+ vat 15% = £201.25P INC VAT!!!!! ;)

If your rates over there are so bad why not ship your car over to marko for a better rate!!,and probably a better job as well :lol::lol:

I have done this job twice on my car,and the times are about spot on!!

Getting a **** job doesnt mean paying a cheap price!!!

Ask members on here!!

I know there would be quite a few stories of extortionate pricing and a **** job,and also very fair pricing and an excellent job!

Oh by the way! ;)

I drive a truck for a living wage.

I also work on quite a few various classics for people I know for £10ph "its called mates rates" or I price to do a job,as many cant afford even marko's excellent rates!

It gets me a few quid for running my 2 cars and a bit of holiday money!!

If I were to do a bad job or rip them off,they wouldnt come back!!

I dont do either,and I get more work via word of mouth because of it!!

I think he has been having diplomacy lessons from you know who!!! :lol::P;)

Edited by PILKIE

Question - just answer me this and be done with it. Will you install a clutch in a TR6 for £203 pounds if the customer furnishes the parts.

Yes :P

Yes or no, forget the book hrs. just put it in writing in here, $203 pounds, customer supplies the parts, yes or no? I am not questioning the quality of your work, just the end price.

I don't believe anyone will put a clutch in for that if the customer supplies the parts. $203 + VAT, Yes or no.

Why don't you believe this - if it takes 5.8 hrs @ £35 per hour that's £203 + Vat - Easy :P

If you need any more counselling or help - please drop me a note - it's £35 per hour plus VAT, but I estimate the bill to run into many thousands of pounds............ :lol: (English Humour ;) )

Question - just answer me this and be done with it. Will you install a clutch in a TR6 for £203 pounds if the customer furnishes the parts.

Yes or no, forget the book hrs. just put it in writing in here, $203 pounds, customer supplies the parts, yes or no? I am not questioning the quality of your work, just the end price.

I don't believe anyone will put a clutch in for that if the customer supplies the parts. $203 + VAT, Yes or no.

Why don't you believe this - if it takes 5.8 hrs @ £35 per hour that's £203 + Vat - Easy :P

If you need any more counselling or help - please drop me a note - it's £35 per hour plus VAT, but I estimate the bill to run into many thousands of pounds............ :lol: (English Humour ;) )

Good man Marko[English Humour] im breaking my shite laughing :lol: at this topic,must be the English blood in me ;) .If Norfolk was not so far away from me :( you could do my clutch also. ;);)

Getting back to business and this topic which has already gone of on a tangent to silicon brake fluid, if one were changing to silicon, and had replaced all cylinder seals, is it recommended that disc caliper seals and rear wheel cylinders are replaced also, or will a good thorough flush through suffice?

As you say we're getting sidetracked from this entertaining argument, but no, you would need to replace all the seals and the flexible hoses and give the system a jolly good wash out but I can't recall with what.

If you search the main forum for silicone brake fluid you will find lots of threads and varied opinions.

Ivor

Talk about entertainment... :lol:

Marko, if my TR4 ever needs a new clutch I will be booking our summer holidays in Norfolk, and if you let me watch the proceedings I will even make the tea.

Just promise me you won't tempt me with one of those nice TR5's whilst Im there... ;)

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi Ivor,

yes I'd agree that if replacing glycol-based hydraulic fluid with SBF, then it is necessary (or at least desirable!) to replace all seals and flexible lines throughout the system.

I've found that meths (methylated spirits) is as good a flushing agent as any. However, manufacturers of SBF do seem to have reservations about the possibility of meths residue causing a problem, and it has been suggested that following meths flushing one should first flush with SBF and then refill with SBF. By which time, it seems to me, you might as well just replace the whole damn braking system from end to end and be done with it.

Mind you, having done that, you are still faced with the possible difficulty that not all hydraulic seals appear to be compatible with SBF, and you may yet have to replace seals with product from another supplier/manufacturer. OK, I know that sounds defeatist, but our cars were designed for glycol-based hydraulic fluids - not SBF.

And, for the umpteenth time, can I reiterate that I do not have a problem with SBF as such, only with the apparent practicalities of actually using the stuff.

Cheers,

Alec

TR6 Poor,

"Mark, just answer me this and be done with it"

What the heck is this ? The Spanish Inquisition ? Guantanamo ? Or expiating the guilt of dodging the draft ? Or what ?

This is the TR Forum, it's about TR enthusiasts helping each other . . . . no more, no less.

Get a life, man.

Cheers,

Alec