Roy thats correct, if you want the followers out head has to come off I believe.

With head off two methods, viz

1/ stick finger down follower,crook, pull & twist until it comes out. If you ever have, think finger jam as in rock climbing.

2) a Rawlbolt from your local DiY. Insert and expand, then as before. Easier on the knuckles!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

With head off two methods, viz

1/ stick finger down follower,crook, pull & twist until it comes out. If you ever have, think finger jam as in rock climbing.

2) a Rawlbolt from your local DiY. Insert and expand, then as before. Easier on the knuckles!

John

...or a broom handle whittled to be a push fit is my favourite - it don't arf annoy Sue

Roger

Edited by RogerH

...or a broom handle whittled to be a push fit is my favourite - it don't arf annoy Sue

Roger

He's joshing, I have nothing whatsoever to do with brooms, unless they are named Dyson........!!!! Edited by SuzanneH

He's joshing, I have nothing whatsoever to do with brooms, unless they are named Dyson........!!!!

G tech is far better SuzanneH ask me how I know :lol::lol:

Cheers

Mike B)

G tech is far better SuzanneH ask me how I know :lol::lol:

Cheers

Mike B)

I haven't read about that one in Harry Potter yet either. Perhaps it will be in a future edition..

Can sometimes be tricky to get out because there may be a ring of "gum" around the top of the travel of the cam follower in the block and or the bottom of the follower has mushroomed slightly if it is knacked.

Has to come out upwards with the head off. You are unlikely to be able to get the cam out to drift it from below with a wooden dowel.

It dose seem to be catching on the bottom as it gets to within 2mm of the top then stops. Have tried a follower from next cyl and it goes in the top ok. Everything is working fine just checking whilst the head is off. Is mushrooming likely ?

Roy

Roger annoying Sue sounds like a not good idea :blink:

If cam is worn it might affect the bottom of the lifter.

Carefully look and try before you spoil the block

when forcing the lifter out to the top.

If cam is okay its more likely that there is some

mud at the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

AN update

the engine has ended up being removed and the cam taken out. No 1 follower which was the sticking one has flared at the bottom and also concaved. As it was no 1 i managed to extract it from the front of the block by pushing it down.All other followers are fine and high motorsport spec so concerned as to why 1 failed.

concaved and flared at the bottom almost serrated bur if you get what i mean. need to now check spec of first cam lobe .

strange that it still ran ok and was revving up to 7000

Roy

Having dismantled quite a few of these engines over the years (and also the small 4 pots) I've found that the front and rear follower/cam lobes are almost always the worst worn/damaged. My hypothesis is that they get less well lubricated than the others though I have no hard evidence for this and it's not really clear why this should be.

How many miles had the engine done? Worth checking the valve spring(s) that relates to it in case it's stiffer (excessive pressures) or softer (valve bounce) than the rest.

As it was still running well you might find that the cam lobe is still largely intact, though it must have suffered to some extent.

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones