Radiator ducting for a 3A

Hi Tom

yes they are very loud and as you say very expensive if you need a pair! Must admit the photo was "scabbed" off ebay as mine are sitting on the shelf awaiting refitting.

Iain

Hi

I have a brand new unused Moss ducting Part No 803440/8 you can have for half the list price + postage if you are interested. Please PM me for your email address if you are interested.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, but at circa £12 Mike will probably get one from Moss / Rimmers / TR shop.

Thanks anyway.

Bob.

Hi Mac.

I used two lengths of swimming pool hose for about €1.50 each ( one for each carb) and they are far more versatile.

Dave

Dave,

Hark you with your 'swimming pool' hose - over here we call it flood pump hose !!!

Good idea though as a little more versatile - assuming you can get enough air though the narrower pipe at typical UK road speeds.

The wife is planning to accelerate our retirement to Frigiliana, so need efficient cooling in place

- - although thinking about the way she phrased it, might have been 'her' retirement ! Otherwise I still have 14 years to wait. :(

Austin

I live in Spain where it is considerably hotter than U.K. I was just telling Tom (Fireman 49) that I had to deflect the air off of the inner wheel arch, as direct they gave too much air, reflected in the whiter plugs. I changed the mixture slightly as well, and of course the engine now runs at it´s optimum temperature even on days over 40ºC and most of the time the Kenlowe is not even working, only when I over-ride it in Traffic.

Dave

Hi

I have a brand new unused Moss ducting Part No 803440/8 you can have for half the list price + postage if you are interested. Please PM me for your email address if you are interested.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon.

PM sent regarding the above.

Bob.

Here's a photo. of the all important upper section. This MUST be fitted for perfect cooling.

Take a look at the air intake of a TR2/3 before they removed the upper section.

Tom. ;)

IMG_1127.jpg

I have the standard cardboard setup with a tropical fan, no overheating problems this summer with the outside tempratures hitting close to 40°C and a couple of traffic jams to deal with

cheers

Alan

I have the standard cardboard setup with a tropical fan, no overheating problems this summer with the outside tempratures hitting close to 40°C and a couple of traffic jams to deal with

cheers

Alan

I have the same setup and the same results this year, Alan. My car's temperature does increase but it hasn't puked or gotten so hot I've worried about it.

Are you running an overflow bottle, too?

Useful calculator here:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/chem/substance/boiling

Example calculation showing bellows type thermostat action at 4 PSI against 13 PSI

I'm guessing Tom is using a waxstat.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

I use the Moss remake card board item and hack holes in it for air duct and oil cooler hoses. In 10 years the card has gone a bit mishapen as I did nothing but assemble and fit - no varnish or paint to protect it.

The air hose goes thus, with a trumpet at each end. 9 quid off the bay and is colour coordinated (sort of) Scares the opposition in the paddock too.

post-7247-0-33227900-1447589964_thumb.jpg

PS Simple to remove when doing tappets - just undo one big jubbly clip, and move the tube out the way.

Cheers

Peter W

PPS Does it do anything beneficial though??????

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Interesting throttle conversion - I kept the rod / bell crank system on mine (& Mikes) HS's just had to shorten the horizontal rod, & re-locate the bell crank.

Bob.

I have the same setup and the same results this year, Alan. My car's temperature does increase but it hasn't puked or gotten so hot I've worried about it.

Are you running an overflow bottle, too?

Hi Don

When I first filled up after the engine rebuild I lost a bit of water on heat up, but after referring to this forum I found out that once the radiator has emptied out till there is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of air below the filler cap in the radiator extension I have not lost any more water or had overheating problems. Like Tom I fitted a restricter in the bypass hose but with a bigger hole in the bypass itself than in Toms example about 7-8mm if memory serves me correctly

cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay but here is my best effort.... I am no good with Drawing software much to my annoyance! :huh:

IMG_1414_zpsg37dyzdt.jpg

I think this diagram with the photos I posted previously will clarify whats what , but if not just ask. You can click on the photo to go to the source and enlarge it for easier reference.

The additional hole seen on the photos nearer the rad is for the repositioned horns so can be ignored.

For the other hand just reverse the template.

Happy fabricating :D

Iain

Edited by iain