Electric Cable Winch from LIDL

Tomorrow (24th November) LIDL will be offering an electric cable winch for £49.99.

Maximum load 125kg on its steel cable, but doubled to 250kg when hook with integrated pulley (supplied) is used.

500W motor, hand control and 3-year guarantee.

Also will have ratchet or luggage strap set at £7.99, car boot organiser for £4.99, car half body cover at £5.99 (3 sizes from small to estate), snow chain set at £19.99 (I don't believe we are forecast a particularly hard winter this time), and LED warning lamp at £6.99 (magnetic base for clamping to bodywork - but you need steel bodywork, of course!).

Ian Cornish

A friend has the £50 hoist but if you use it to lift an engine you need to take the bonnet off plus you need a heavy structure to hang it from.

My first thoughts is that a £150 engine crane is a better idea as it can be used in most places with the bonnet still on, I assume.

On the other hand if you have say some scaffold handy then maybe it would suit your needs.

Edited by Eddie Cairns

Anything you need an engine crane for will require the bonnet removing . . . . .

The electric hoist will need something considerably heftier than a scaffold pole to span the car width . . . .

but it's jolly useful if you have an RSJ across the garage, for example, and the LIDL version will make short work of hauling a car onto a trailer.

Cheers

Alec

If only it was 12V,trailer use

Roy

At 500W, you could use a 12/230V inverter but that would probably cost more than the hoist. ;)

Cheers

Graeme

As long as the horizontal loading doesn't exceed 250kg and the winch can be secured somewhere and it can receive a 240v feed ( or inverter feed as Graeme pointed out). It pulled my builders dropside trailer with about 200kg up a slight incline.

Mick Richards

These hoists are amazing, I have drilled the garage floor, and fitted a small roller that the cable from the crane/hoist fits around, and I can then pull almost anything around the front and sides of the house, without

removing the hoist from its ceiling position in the garage, even on a single fall of cable, mine has a pulley for going to 2 falls if necessary, but I haven't needed to.

Anything you need an engine crane for will require the bonnet removing . . . . .

The electric hoist will need something considerably heftier than a scaffold pole to span the car width . . . .

but it's jolly useful if you have an RSJ across the garage, for example, and the LIDL version will make short work of hauling a car onto a trailer.

Cheers

Alec

Alec

Shows you the last time that I lifted an engine out and it was with a block and tackle on a scaffold but using two tubes to tie the block and tackle too, not a modern engine crane!

Just worked it out, 1971 was the date. Austim Maxi engine and gearbox.

Ok, a few years ago.

Edited by Eddie Cairns

Hi Eddie,

that would be the old E-series 1500 engine with the 5-speed in the sump ? A fair bit lighter than any TR engine and 'box then ! :)

Two scaffold tubes for cope with the Maxi assembly probably means 3 or 4 for a TR ?

Hi Neil,

don't forget that trailer winches are usually rated for pulling a rolling wheeled vehicle onto a trailer, which is hugely different from heaving a vertical dead weight. An average chap shouldn't have a problem pushing a ton of TR to sufficient speed to start the blighter, but he's going to struggle lifting a 100kg steel block four or five feet into the air . . . . ;)

Cheers

Alec

Also remember if you're lifting 250kg ... "equal and reactive force" which means another 250kg of force being applied the other side of your winch fitting which combined means a solid mounting capable of 500kg imposed load is necessary for safety unless you want to look at it ruefully on the ground !

Mick Richards

A little tip - be very careful when unloading something down a slope.

The other week I had to get a TR4A off my ramps.

The car was on the level and attached to the winch. (The ramps sit level until a certain tipping point is reached).

The winch needed some slack , apprx an 1" ata a time, to allow the car to be pushed backwards to the tipping point.

When the car reached the tipping point it decided to tobogan down the slope ; the 1" of slack became about 12" as the coil had slackened off on the winch spool.

No damage done ( the under pants were old anyway) but quite a shock.

Had the cable snapped or the winch come off the ramp structure the car would have been across the road (the M25 is quite wide) in no time.

So make sure when winching you are in total control of ALL the slack.

Roger

Went to Lidl's today still being unsure if I could justify buying one (as I have a perfectly good 1½ ton engine crane)

Lucky for me they had all gone so decision made for me!

Bob.