Help with gearbox mounting measurement please.

I am currently fitting a 2500 overdrive gearbox to my TR4A.

Having to fabricate a new gearbox mount.

Require a measurement....see pics.

Either the centre of the gearbox output flange above a line drawn across the top of the chassis rails [ 75-85mm perhaps], or if someone has fitted an O/D box, the top of the gearbox mount bracket in relation to the solenoid [centre of solenoid perhaps].

post-12801-0-40123600-1411875603_thumb.jpg

post-12801-0-24778300-1411875634_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, should have said that I am using the factory 2500 gearbox mount.

Just need the measurement to determine the height of the output shaft so that I can make brackets to bolt onto the 2500 mount.

Beware the exhaust pipe - if you are staying with the standard arrangement.

Did this on a TR2 using a modified Dolomite Sprint assy and to get the flange as orig the exhaust clouted the o/d and the solenoid rubbed the chassis rail. Went back to 'A' type overdrive in the end.

Cheers

Peter W

Even a measuremet from under the car would suffice.

I have enough space for the exhaust .... have to make a new exhaust system anyway, which will be modified for any clearance issues...... and as noted above by Peter, I will ensure clearance for the solenoid by trimming the original gearbox bracket that is attached to the chassis.

Beware the exhaust pipe - if you are staying with the standard arrangement.

Did this on a TR2 using a modified Dolomite Sprint assy and to get the flange as orig the exhaust clouted the o/d and the solenoid rubbed the chassis rail. Went back to 'A' type overdrive in the end.

Cheers

Peter W

Pete

I also made up my own bracket on a 3a and had a hell of a job getting the standard exhaust past, gave up and bought one of CTM's adaptor brackets from Colin for around £100. Excelent fit very well made and no more exhaust problems. TR3A with Dolly sprint J type box and overdrive

cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

I have it noted as 70mm from chassis to centre line of the shaft. I have fitted a 2.5 saloon J type g/box in my TR4A.

P1000396_zps5a239d82.jpg

Cut out required for clearance of solenoid.

TR6-002_zpsb34e45ca.jpg

Bracket made up for exhaust.

TR6-001_zpsbaaa79f5.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme, what material did you use for the bracket?

I believe this will fracture.

Alan,

The material is 16g mild steel, why do you think it might fracture?

Graeme

Alan,

The material is 16g mild steel, why do you think it might fracture?

Graeme

Agreed - the angled part will fracture (one day) because of the vibes of the shaft and the swaying exhaust line. Best is to weld a triangular strengthening plate on the left side of the bracket or a design approaching that curve of the original bracket

post-11469-0-42021300-1412446702_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geko

The bend at the top will have micro-cracks unless you selected a grade of material to stand a bend like this, or maybe bent it hot.

You probably banged it over in a vise and the inner corner is even sharper?

A welded re-inforcement that stops bending at this point will probably solve it.

It won't break right away. It might take years. It might go quite quickly. There are a lot of variables.

Thanks for the measurement Graeme.

Was it still 70mm after the restoration using new parts.

What gearbox mount did you use....my 2500 mount is different to what you have used ?

Edited by Malcolm Linda Baker