Surrey Top

About 10 years ago I bought a surrey top, which included a metal hard top and a canvas rag top. Now, I have to admit, I'm thinking of selling the whole thing and moving back to the original convertible my car originally was. I miss the full "top down" feeling. I had everything on the surrey nicely restored at Enginuity, but I never use the hard top, and although I find the surrey nice, it is nothing like having the top completely down. Before I go ahead with this, I have a few questions. I have the original stick frame with my old rag top on it -- can the frame be repainted, or a new one purchased? Also, who makes the best rag tops? I've seen some attractive canvas ones, but do they fold down well enough, and small enough, to allow a cover on top? Has any member gone from rag, to surrey, and back again?

Lastly, is the best place to sell the surrey kit eBay?

Thoughts welcome!

Ive just got my hood frame back from TR Trader, having been refurbished and powder coated, and very nice it looks too.

Obviously you will need to strip all fittings first, but the outcome is a frame that looks like new.

Highly reccomended.

Just one more tip. If you go online to a parcel firm called Hermes you can print off a bar coded address label and

arrange to have the parcel collected from your home on a day to suit you. All for the cost of £8-53. Can't be bad.

John

Ive just got my hood frame back from TR Trader, having been refurbished and powder coated, and very nice it looks too.

Obviously you will need to strip all fittings first, but the outcome is a frame that looks like new.

Highly reccomended.

Just one more tip. If you go online to a parcel firm called Hermes you can print off a bar coded address label and

arrange to have the parcel collected from your home on a day to suit you. All for the cost of £8-53. Can't be bad.

John

Good suggestion..thanks for that!

Ron

A complete backlight, hard top and surrey top assembley in good condition and ready to fit is worth a lot of money. TR Bitz sold a red one on ebay a year or so ago for well over £2000 so if the right buyer is out there you should get a good price on ebay, certainly enough to buy a hood and frame plus all the fittings to go back to wind in the hair mode.

Regards

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Well Saggy, in fairness even if you had bought the very best fibreglass reproduction one, trimmed it and painted it etc. etc. with all the bits you'd have spent £2,500 plus vat so you probably got a good deal there. And moreover, its the real thing and a good one.

Scruffy hardtops take a huge amount of sorting, so very much like overdrive gearboxes for the TR series cars it pays in the end to start with the right thing, otherwise you just go on spending money trying to make something wrong into something right and even after youve done it, its still wrong ! and there are plenty out there who will tell you so.

Regards

Tony

Well Saggy, in fairness even if you had bought the very best fibreglass reproduction one, trimmed it and painted it etc. etc. with all the bits you'd have spent £2,500 plus vat so you probably got a good deal there. And moreover, its the real thing and a good one.

Scruffy hardtops take a huge amount of sorting, so very much like overdrive gearboxes for the TR series cars it pays in the end to start with the right thing, otherwise you just go on spending money trying to make something wrong into something right and even after youve done it, its still wrong ! and there are plenty out there who will tell you so.

Regards

Tony

Totally agree with you Tony. Unfortunately its a fact of life these days unless you can do it yourself paintwork and trimming is expensive and those roofs nearly always need repairs which is never easy with the way they were constructed.

Stuart.

About 10 years ago I bought a surrey top, which included a metal hard top and a canvas rag top. Now, I have to admit, I'm thinking of selling the whole thing and moving back to the original convertible my car originally was. I miss the full "top down" feeling. I had everything on the surrey nicely restored at Enginuity, but I never use the hard top, and although I find the surrey nice, it is nothing like having the top completely down. Before I go ahead with this, I have a few questions. I have the original stick frame with my old rag top on it -- can the frame be repainted, or a new one purchased? Also, who makes the best rag tops? I've seen some attractive canvas ones, but do they fold down well enough, and small enough, to allow a cover on top? Has any member gone from rag, to surrey, and back again?

Lastly, is the best place to sell the surrey kit eBay?

Thoughts welcome!

Hi ron88

I am thinking along the same lines as you,

I have a surrey fitted and a hard top that I never use and I am seriously thinking

about reverting back to a normal soft top,

As I am having some work done on my car next year that would be the time to change

back all I need is a good hood frame and rear fixing rail.

So iff anybody has one for a 5 I could be interested.

Cheers

Dave.

Hi ron88

I have a surrey fitted and a hard top that I never use and I am seriously thinking

As I am having some work done on my car next year that would be the time to change

Cheers

Dave.

Hmm that will be me acquiring a surrey then. ;):):lol::lol:

Stuart.

Hi ron88

Cheers

Dave.

Best of both worlds buy a 3 :lol:;) as well

Hi ron88

Cheers

Dave.

Have a blast in one at 80 mph without a Surrey top before you throw it over <_< Just sayin' :mellow:

Edited by Tom Fremont

I have a surrey top on my 250, mohair and sticks too If anyone will give me £2250 its theirs, the worlds gone nuts , no I want £3250 now, I have not read so much bloody **** about tops for ages, make it £4250 and I will polish it too.

come on boys get back to reality.

I have a soft top frame for sale, too! Gordon Bennet, lets all talk up how much the well heeled are prepared to pay, no wonder the likes of me have a hard time getting reasonable prices.

At this rate TR man could become MG man................................................................!

Happy new year to all for next week.

Edited by pfenlon

I have a surrey top on my 250, mohair and sticks too If anyone will give me £2250 its theirs, the worlds gone nuts , no I want £3250 now, I have not read so much bloody **** about tops for ages, make it £4250 and I will polish it too.

I have a soft top frame for sale, too! Gordon Bennet, lets all talk up how much the well heeled are prepared to pay, no wonder the likes of me have a hard time getting reasonable prices.

At this rate TR man could become MG man................................................................!

With an attitude like that you will prevent people even bringing there cars to any event :( Den said go and buy an MG

Edited by ntc

Peter its a case of supply and demand old chap ;) International at Shepton in 96 One trader couldnt get £350 for an alloy surrey set nor £250 for a steel set and took them home with him :o . In those days they were almost looked down on as being a waste on a proper convertible B) . Mind you its surprising the number of people I know who have gone back to soft tops. :) Personally Im not keen as I bang me head on the bloody things being so tall. I did have one but never got round to fitting it and sold it to one of the "Yoof" boys cheap.

Stuart

Supply and demand it may be, but it's still bonkers money, especially in comparison to repro equivalents. One reason my spare surrey parts also went to the Yoof for a relatively modest sum - we need to encourage younger owners/drivers, it's a more important aspect of preserving the marque than gilding lilies.

Anyway, why would you want a surrey in preference to a proper soft top, unless as some sort of perceived security for a daily driver in the urban jungle ? As if any tea leaf couldn't get into any TR in 5 seconds flat ?

TRs were and are cheap'n'cheerful dogs for nailing, not precious investments for mollycoddling. Why try and pretend otherwise ? Talking up the prices only leads to disaster in the longer run, we've seen that before, not a lot of benefit to anyone unless burnt fingers turn you on.

As for Pete's grumping putting people off going to meetings . . . give over ! The other leg has got bells on. How many ordinary folks with ordinary cars are put off by too many gleaming masterworks putting their humble chariots to shame ? More than a few from this neck of the woods, that's for sure, and more than few elsewhere I could name.

The TR world has always been a broad church, good to see a few pristine examples looking like they've just left the showroom floor for sure, but the bottom line is they're sports cars. Big boys toys for playing with, not models for collecting and displaying in glass cabinets. Not works of art. Not investments. Money pits.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

........ In those days they were almost looked down on as being a waste on a proper convertible B) ..........

Stuart

My thoughts exactly....... :P Might as well buy a GT6 if you want a hardtop.....(lot cheaper).....can't beat the draught of open top thrashing ....just like a motorbike without a helmet....... :rolleyes:

john