Hi. A persistent problem for the past decade or so which has prevented me using my Dove much…

The car starts well and ticks over nicely up to temperature at a standstill. It’s out on the road, and after a few minutes stress-free motoring that the problem starts.

When pulling away slowly from junctions or other hazards, the revs drop-off completely and the car starts spluttering but not loudly misfiring. Dumping the clutch and whacking the revs up alleviates the issue temporarily, kicking the engine back in again only for it to happen again when I next need to accelerate away from a hazard.

Has anybody else experienced a similar issue? Any advice would be extremely welcome. Many thanks.

Edited by JohnGTR4

Does it only happen under acceleration - i.e. does the car run OK at a steady speed ? What bits have you replaced to try to overcome it?

My money's on ignition as light acceleration doesn't correlate with a fuel delivery problem.

Unless it's got an electronic ignition system, besides condenser and coil are rotor, plug wires, cap and low tension wire/connection. I don't think it will be plugs but it's all in play until solved. If it's electronic, try the vintage setup and see if it goes away ^_^.

Which carbs?

Have the carb piston dampers got oil in them?

If Stromberg check the dash pot piston dampers are not perished,cracked or leaking.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Spelling

I tend to the opposite opinion Tom - I can't think of anything in the ignition system that can only fail on acceleration, and which allows the engine to be revved to overcome it. 

Thank you for the replies! 

Here’s what’s been done so far….

Changed battery, fitted alternator, wired out the regulator, changed to electronic points, balanced carbs, set mixtures, changed fuel pump. Haven't changed coil yet.

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Does it only happen under acceleration - i.e. does the car run OK at a steady speed ? What bits have you replaced to try to overcome it?

Seems to run OK at steady speed.

Carbs set too weak or ignition timing wrong.

Ralph

1) Bad Condensor - test by substituting a known good one
2) weak mixture - test by pulling choke out an inch or so & see if problem goes away

3) Tight valve clearances giving poor compression when hot

Had a similar problem years ago with a TR4 a bit of crud floating round in the fuel tank which would block the fuel exit, easily spotted with a torch in the filler cap a right pitas to remove.

Another issue I had with my 3A was with some spark plugs that I bought on a well known auction website that ended up being fake and gave all sorts of problems. After changing everything else I came back to the new spark plugs out of desperation  and swapped them for a more expensive set purchased from the local motor factors which solved the problem

cheers

Alan

Have you removed your plugs yet. I have a similar problem,

Spoke to Burlen services they are really helpful guys. Removed the plugs they were straw coloured running to lean or weak. Checked various things on the carbs butterfly spindles loose, pistons in the pot were dropping in 2 secs not 5/7 !! Other tests persuaded me to have the carbs rebuilt. However when I was removing the carbs  complete with inlet manifold I noticed one of the bottom lugs which hold the inlet and outlet manifold in position although tight had moved and was only holding the outlet manifold to the head. A good way to pull air into the inlet if not secured to the head and therefore weaken the mixture. Might just be worth checking.

Phil.

manifold lugs.JPEG

Some really helpful replies here. We’ll be working through all of the suggestions over the next few days. Thanks again. Looking forward to some more replies!