Engine builder in SE

Anyone know of a decent TR engine builder in the south east? 

My engine is all new and rebuild but has an imbalance in the bottom end.  I’m told that the crank bearing caps are out of line (no idea why or how as it’s been through so many builds)

As such engine needs to come out, stripped and line bored etc. 

Any thoughts welcomed. 

Edited by lee

Lee,

It "has an Imbalance" and "the crank bearing caps are out of line"?      Which psychic told you this?  Without dismantling the engine and examining it minutely?   It would be more useful to the assembled gurus here for you to describe how this "imbalance" manifests itself.   Perhaps there is another cause for what ever symptoms the engine displays.

An "imbalance" that I have some knowledge of  (See my article in TRaction, March/April 2020, pp41-43, "Crankshaft Torsional Vibration") is unlikely to be noticeable, despite the stress it places on the crankshaft, but how is your crankshaft pulley?   Unfortunately, visual inspection is no judge of function, but if you were to contact me by PM, I would be glad to arrange to test your pulley's ability to damp torsion vibration.

John

Thanks John

the bearings have been inspected (and replaced) and it shows substantial west on minimal mileage. 

Above 2000rpm there’s a resonance travelling through the car. Sounds like a harmonic resonance tbh but it’s not what the evidence shows 

Crank, etc, Inc. flywheel all been balanced, together, I presume?  And this resonance felt when revving in the garage, not only in motion?   Then clutch, or pulley seem a more likely cause than bearing misalignment.   

If the above are OK,  (I repeat mynoffer to test your pulley) and the mains are really out of line (all the caps are numbered in the casting!! Difficult to mix them!) then a line bore of the mains? Which is a machine shop job, rather than just an engine builder.

John

14 hours ago, lee said:

Anyone know of a decent TR engine builder in the south east? 

My engine is all new and rebuild but has an imbalance in the bottom end.  I’m told that the crank bearing caps are out of line (no idea why or how as it’s been through so many builds)

As such engine needs to come out, stripped and line bored etc. 

Any thoughts welcomed. 

Classic and modern engine services in Bracknell are our local one. 

The 2 inner main bearing caps fitted the wrong way round?

The tabs of the shell bearing should be both on the same side, upper and lower.

Lee i now use an engine  builder in Kent on several race and road engines.Very happy with results. You may well have come across him in the past as has been in the Bomley area for ever.Nice old school knowledge.

The line boring / machine work is carried out by Gosnay's .

pm if you require further details

Roy

On 5/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, DRD said:

Classic and modern engine services in Bracknell are our local one. 

These people helped me when I needed some engine work carried out.

1 hour ago, whatmore179 said:

I had my engine rebuilt 12 years ago by https://www.maynardenginesltd.co.uk/. Recommend by some of the race guys.

near Stroud Glos.

sooooooooo pleased with it still.

steve

Glad it’s still going well Steve, hope all good with you mate.