Waterless engine Coolant

Keep dogs, cats away from glycol, its sweet tasting and can be fatal if ingested.

IIRC it was used to make vinegary wines more palatable, way back.

Peter

2 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Yes, that was the scandal that hit Austrian wines years ago.

It all got confiscated and they used it to de-ice the runway at Zurich airport :lol:

Stuart.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:13 PM, cp25616 said:

Definitely not for me. I use Toyota red and Forlife before thatwith no worries at all. Dr. Michael Bingley used to use Forlife without water in his TR6 and swore by it. When it was available I used Forlife too and it was great. 

Alan G

I did/may still have 2 or 3 5 litre containers of unused Forlife in my workshop.

If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

David

On 4/11/2024 at 9:13 PM, cp25616 said:

Definitely not for me. I use Toyota red and Forlife before thatwith no worries at all. Dr. Michael Bingley used to use Forlife without water in his TR6 and swore by it. When it was available I used Forlife too and it was great. 

Alan G

Forlife still appears to be  available though not direct from the Forlife website - which features a TR6 on its home page - Is it different to the Evan’s waterless though ? - as it claims it “Provides exceptionally high heat transfer from engine to coolant and lower engine running temperature.” - it does look to have some additional additives to it and already looks to be mixed with water as it’s an “aqueous solution” - 1/3 the cost of Evan’s & with a 10 year life therefore looks cost effective. Worth putting in to avoid changing every few years?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-216909-4-life-forlife-advanced-engine-antifreeze-coolant-for-classic-performance-cars.aspx?variantid=348333&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYOxBhC5ARIsAIvdH51a0pOVlhQ7qLmpiIVDVwIiZXbyzwHKfcVgmbgTTrXjrgG_-i7lX6AaArHYEALw_wcB

Yes "Forlife" is just a ready-mixed water/antifreeze solution, not the waterless stuff being discussed.

Interestingly, there is a warning on the instruction sheet:

"Not suitable for non-pressurised cooing systems and vehicles fitted with grease packed water pumps."  

Not a problem for TRs but  I guess that must be something to do with the corrosion inhibitor used. They also warn against mixing it with anything else, maybe for the same reason. 

Probably the reason for the caveat with Forlife was the corrosion inhibitors used.

It is recognised that mixing some blue non-OAT inhibitors with some red OAT antifreeze can cause problems including gelling if the cooling system isn’t flushed properly.

The OAT ones currently used in modern cars have considerably longer working life durations than your standard blue antifreeze which required replacement after 2-3 years as the inhibitors become less effective/used up.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:16 AM, Cambsguy said:

Is it worth draining/flushing the engine of water coolant and replacing it with waterless coolant, any tips etc? 

If you use it in one of Peter Burgess's engines you loose the warranty. He hates it and he is a top engine builder???

Bruce

On 4/18/2024 at 10:47 AM, RobH said:

"Not suitable for non-pressurised cooing systems and vehicles fitted with grease packed water pumps."  

Not a problem for TRs but  I guess that must be something to do with the corrosion inhibitor used. They also warn against mixing it with anything else, maybe for the same reason. 

Every lequid boils,

depending to the temperature and pressure in the system.

A non-pressurized system is under atmospheric pressure, at the Swiss alps it is only 0.8 bar on top of The Gotthard Pass.

This is why water will boil there at already 80 deg. Celsius.

And this is why it is always the best to have a pressurized cooling system, even it is only 1 bar (atmospheric pressure on sea level).

To avoid any disappointment it is very likely every producer of coolant will recommend not to use it in a not- pressurized system.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
8 hours ago, astontr6 said:

If you use it in one of Peter Burgess's engines you loose the warranty. He hates it and he is a top engine builder???

Bruce

And he does lots of Rolling Road work with his state of the art equipment and he always stated he won't run engines with waterless coolant in it.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

And he does lots of Rolling Road work with his state of the art equipment and he always stated he won't run engines with waterless coolant in it.

Mick Richards

Pure water is by far the best at conducting heat: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-liquids-d_1260.html

Peter

I don't use it in any of my Triumphs as it's qualities and benefits are unknown to me. If the problem is over heating then find out why.

Dave