Windscreen capping. What to do?

Hi All.  Is there any way to rescue this, or should I buy new?  Are the new ones ok?

Mine as it is will let my build down and spoil the car.

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

IMG_3212.jpeg

Hi Steven, 

the end is a bit tired, though it won't take long for  anew one to look like yours does around the 

location holes.

If I were you I'd buy a new one, my experience is that good used are all somewhat marked.

John

Do be aware that the new ones arent always a particularly good fit when it comes to the rivet holes lining up, the new Surrey ones also are somewhat lacking on the ends where the stud goes too.

Also like John says they do all end up like that eventually as its in the nature of the beast.

Stuart.

Note that there are two different cappings. The narrower one is for the drop head top only. For the Surrey and hard top the capping is wider so that the front of the Surrey can tuck underneath. You may well have to ease up the front lip of a new capping so that the front of the Surrey soft top can tuck underneath fully. The wider capping can also be used for the drop head top. They do get marked and scratched over time but yours does look a bit 'tired' at the ends.

Keith

Hi Steve,

the new cappings look very good. That was the good news.

The bad news - they take a fair bit of effort to fit properly.

They sit too low, so you need to put pads under it to give a reasonable gap. This may not be straight forward.

The front edge needs to be raised slightly and the back needs to sit on the rear edge of the screen frame.

The outer ends just about work but as Stuart mentions they are a little on the short side

This would be an ideal part to have made from Stainless steel.

Roger.

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

They sit too low, so you need to put pads under it to give a reasonable gap. This may not be straight forward.

The front edge needs to be raised slightly and the back needs to sit on the rear edge of the screen frame.

The outer ends just about work but as Stuart mentions they are a little on the short side

Roger.

The gap referred to at the front is only for Surrey equipped cars, I think the OP is referring to a convertible capping.

Stuart.

21 minutes ago, stuart said:

The gap referred to at the front is only for Surrey equipped cars, I think the OP is referring to a convertible capping.

Stuart.

Nice and easy then.

Roger

I bought a decent original 2nd hand one from California for my 6.

Whilst it cost a small fortune to ship and needed a bit of fettling in order to make it look good, it fitted well and was easy to install 

I bought a decent 2nd hand part over a new pattern part, following advice from forumites here

I even remembered to seal underneath it, something a PO had forgotten to do when the one I replaced, was fitted.

Thus I had a happy wife who in turn was happy with not getting a wet left knee every time it rained

Mine looked similar but it was greatly improved with the use of polish and buffing wheel attached to my bench grinder. Now has just a few deeper marks but better than trying to fit a repro.

Andy

Only problem with polishing is you go through the anodising so to maintain the look you do need to keep polishing though a thin coat of a good all weather lacquer might work.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, PodOne said:

Mine looked similar but it was greatly improved with the use of polish and buffing wheel attached to my bench grinder. Now has just a few deeper marks but better than trying to fit a repro.

Andy

To maintain a good finish has anyone  thought about powder coating the capping in a colour like anodised aluminium, or even body colour (Matt black on a modern)

I'll get my anorak.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

To maintain a good finish has anyone  thought about powder coating the capping in a colour like anodised aluminium?

I'll get my anorak.

Tried it and its close but no cigar Im afraid Richard Crewe Read had a grille done and other parts and it looked OK but obviously not the same shine.

Stuart.

Thanks for all your comments and advice folks.  This is a tricky one..  I’d prefer to use the original one if possible so might have a go polishing it and see how it comes out.  Guessing trying to add metal is out of the question, as in welding?  I had thought  about powder coating as an option but it won’t look original for sure.  And yes it’s a drop head so needs to be right.

Need to do some thinking..

On 3/28/2024 at 3:19 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

Roger.

Thanks Roger.  If you can make me a stainless one I’ll be the Guinea pig ha ha.  Would be much better than anodised ally for sure.  Cheers,

On 3/28/2024 at 3:24 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Correct Stuart.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Thanks for all your comments and advice folks.  This is a tricky one..  I’d prefer to use the original one if possible so might have a go polishing it and see how it comes out.  Guessing trying to add metal is out of the question, as in welding?  I had thought  about powder coating as an option but it won’t look original for sure.  And yes it’s a drop head so needs to be right.

Need to do some thinking..

You could talk to all the usual suspects (TR Shop/TR Bitz/TR trader/Revingtons/TR Enterprises) to see if they have a good original one, maybe as expensive as a new one but if thats what you want then probably the best solution.

Stuart.

Hi Steve,

easy enough to remove the old Anodising and then polishing.  I spoke to a local Anodising company here in Hayes asking if they could be re-Anodised.

If the base metal was in good condition it probably would be possible but any corrosion would just dis-integrate.

Welding could well be possible but very delicate and you would still need to remake the corroded shape - not that easy.

The new ones can look OK but not quite perfect.

As for Stainless   !!!!!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 10:41 PM, Jase said:

I've covered mine in PPF, seems to work.

Hi.  What is PPF?  I'm still pondering, but need to make my mind up soon!