How do I tighten this bolt?

Stuart is probably the best person to answer this, but I'm open to any ideas.  

I've decided to sell my TR so of course (as you do) I'm sorting out a number of little issues before I put it on the market.  One of these is an annoying rattle and squeak from behind the dash on the driver's side. Both appear to be coming from the bolt that secures the base of the dash frame to the door frame front pillar. In one of the photos you can sort of see that the head of the bolt is not clamped tightly to the washer.

I've done my darnedest to get the bolt to move but it simply bends the metal panel and the mount behind it.  I've tried getting a ring spanner in behind onto the nut but without luck - I suspect it's tack welded in place. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Gavin

17097107256741.jpg

17097107253530.jpg

Gavin - it could be cross threaded in it's captive nut, so rather than try and force it in further, I would take it out and you will be able to see if it's cross threaded - rather than put a new bolt in and risk the same problem, I would cut say an 1/8" off the bolt and put it back in as it will have cut it's own thread, and hopefully it will tighten up to the washer - but don't overtighten it.

Cheers Rich

Its as stated above quite likely cross threaded, if you can get it out then try a tap in through. As to it causing the squeak have you tried tightening all the rest of the bolts that hold that bracket in place.

Stuart.

14 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

IF  your only issue is an irritating noise put some silicone or mastic over it 

John

Tried that with the wife!!! didn't work.:(

Apologies to all, I omitted to make it clear that I'm unable to remove the bolt.  I assume, as Stuart and others have said, that it's badly cross threaded and when I try to loosen it the panel steel merely deforms with no movement of the bolt.  If I manage to remove it I'll run a tap through it as Stuart suggests.

Tomorrow I'll try clamping the two sections of sheet metal with vice grips in the hope that the two panels together may be enough to allow me to get more leverage on the bolt head.

I would try penetrating oil and try to turn it one way then the other a few times. Then more oil, leave it a few hours and repeat the process. Once you get it to turn a bit continue with the oil and turn backwards and forwards, gradually easing it out. Then retap the hole as others have said. It should move unless the other end has been damaged.

Good luck

Keith

Oooooooohhhhhh no you don’t. Not after 10 posts with 7 different posters trying to help. What exactly succeeded in fixing the problem ?

Mick Richards

Snotted a blob of mig on it?

That’ll stop the rattle and hold it all in place….forever.

I think I shot of PU sealant over it would be similarly effective.  

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
12 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Oooooooohhhhhh no you don’t. Not after 10 posts with 7 different posters trying to help. What exactly succeeded in fixing the problem ?

Mick Richards

I pulled the two panels tight together with long-nosed vice grips as I'd said I planned to do, then sprayed some penetrating oil and left it for a few hours.  With the vice-grips in place the gap between the head and the tab was more like 2mm so it was no surprise that the thing had been squeaking.  Clamping the two panels was the key and  the bolt backed out quite readily without buckling as it had been.  I'm sure the penetrating oil also helped a lot.  I then ran a tap through the hole and a die nut over the bolt.  It all went together nicely after that and pulled up good and tight.  I also checked the other bolts as Stuart had recommended and found several  of them loose plus nuts missing from most of the lower facia pad retaining bolts. 

I should mention that I had previously removed the air vent assembly to make up a mount for my planned cup holder installation (now flagged), so visibility and access was abnormally good.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.