Jaguar E Type Series 3

I currently have a TR6 fuel injection from aroun 1972.  Thinking about trading it in for a working Jag E Type.  I am OK on the TR6 re gearbox/clutch changes and servicing etc.  Anyone ever owned an E Type?  Just wondered how much harder it is?  Assume quite a lot more expensive to run?

Thanks!  Matt

2 hours ago, Matt1969 said:

I currently have a TR6 fuel injection from aroun 1972.  Thinking about trading it in for a working Jag E Type.  I am OK on the TR6 re gearbox/clutch changes and servicing etc.  Anyone ever owned an E Type?  Just wondered how much harder it is?  Assume quite a lot more expensive to run?

Thanks!  Matt

Never owned one but worked on quite a few, Engine accessibility is fun. They can be a money pit if your in at the bottom end of the market, a V12 is fun but expect single figure MPG if you so much as breathe on the loud pedal. Do try a long drive before you commit as they are very different to a TR. Yes a lot more expensive to run for sure.I always preferred the 3.8  FHC version myself.

Stuart.

a series 2 E type will give the same fun and be easier on the pocket and also easier for home DIY servicing and maintenance.

I would love a V12 but whole lot of money and grief waiting with the engine

kc

9 minutes ago, kcsun said:

a series 2 E type will give the same fun and be easier on the pocket and also easier for home DIY servicing and maintenance.

I would love a V12 but whole lot of money and grief waiting with the engine

kc

The V12 is a fabulous engine and only problematical if servicing isnt applied.Got to watch all those vacuum pipes though and they drink the fuel on four Strombergs.

Stuart

13 hours ago, Matt1969 said:

Not sure I can fit in a S2, as I'm 6'2“!

Once they fitted the footwell drop at the end of flat floor production I could drive them OK and Im 6` 4"

Stuart.

Hi Matt,

I have owned a S2 E-Type for gusting 25-years now and was the realisation of a schoolboy ambition. If you can drive a TR6 it is pretty much the same to drive an E-Type once you get used to the subtle differences. The E-Type will outstrip a TR6 in all departments, faster, better roadholding and more comfortable, running costs are higher, but not prohibitively so. Routine servicing is no harder than on a TR6, except for the rear brakes which are a complete pain. Major work, such as a clutch replacement requires the engine out which is a major task and an even bigger pain. Your height may be a slight issue, have you tried sitting in an E to see how it feels. The thing is to buy a decent car to start with, top end cars and basket cases are the ones that people want, good driving cars for regular use sit in the middle ground are not quite so sought after.

Hope this helps.

Cliff

P1010501.JPG

Hi Matt,
My friend had an XJ series 2 V12, it was magic to drive but very (very) thirsty: 1 litre to 5 km or so; easily double the consumption compared to a tr6. 

But if common sense ruled, we would not be driving a TR, wouldn’t we?

Waldi

On 2/3/2024 at 5:42 PM, Waldi said:

Hi Matt,
My friend had an XJ series 2 V12, it was magic to drive but very (very) thirsty: 1 litre to 5 km or so; easily double the consumption compared to a tr6. 

But if common sense ruled, we would not be driving a TR, wouldn’t we?

Waldi

Years ago I used to look after an XJ series 2 V12 and I always used to tell him to fill it right up before it came in for service, you could actually see the fuel gauge going down on high speed runs!

Stuart.

I moved from a TR6 to a Series 3 E Type. Always regretted it. At 6ft plus the windscreen header rail is in your eye line. It goes terribly light at around 80mph. Power steering is way too light.  TR6 quicker point to point and much more rewarding. However I did keep the E Type 30 plus years. Back to driving my sones TR6 now