I have a wild bird feeding tray in the garden. There are fat balls hanging and some different small local wild birds will all eat  at the same time.  Once the big black birds arrive the small ones hide in the garden trees. The blackbirds do not stay long and if I open the back door they fly away. I enjoy watching them from inside the house which is warmer than the garden.

But there is one who feeds occasionally. I have a small book with pictures of many small birds and I can not find a correct picture. The nearest match with the correct colours on the head and back is the Willow Tit. BUT  the picture does not show the bright red feathers on the back end under the tail.

Is there anyone on the TR forum who can help me identify my visitor who is very welcome ?

Thanks Richard & B

Hi Richard,# not a good description.

The woodpeckers have the red rump feathers but are much bigger than any tit.

There are many birds with red on the breast going down to the rump.

Can you get a photo.

Roger

42 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

I have a wild bird feeding tray in the garden. There are fat balls hanging and some different small local wild birds will all eat  at the same time.  Once the big black birds arrive the small ones hide in the garden trees. The blackbirds do not stay long and if I open the back door they fly away. I enjoy watching them from inside the house which is warmer than the garden.

But there is one who feeds occasionally. I have a small book with pictures of many small birds and I can not find a correct picture. The nearest match with the correct colours on the head and back is the Willow Tit. BUT  the picture does not show the bright red feathers on the back end under the tail.

Is there anyone on the TR forum who can help me identify my visitor who is very welcome ?

Thanks Richard & B

43 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Thanks Richard & B

Based on your size description….

Not  a red rump but a pinkish hue, communal feeders, often in family groups are Long tailed tits?

image.png.f2bc727dc444e76053073e35ec00005d.png

Hi All,

Thank you for the fast replies. The weather is not so cold today so things are busy on the feeder tray. 

Thanks to Iain and Rod and it looks as if they have taken these pictures at home.   Peter VW Your picture of a woodpecker is just right. My book of song birds has over 50 different wild birds and no woodpeckers. Your picture shows the correct black/white head, the back feathers and the red feathers under the tail. 

I have just now put out the fat balls and there are a group varied small birds but no signs of the Woodpecker yet 

Where do they sleep ??

Richard & B

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,# not a good description.

The woodpeckers have the red rump feathers but are much bigger than any tit.

There are many birds with red on the breast going down to the rump.

Can you get a photo.

Roger

Hi Richard,

a Woodpecker is the size of an Albatross not a Willow Tit.

Roger

Richard - my pic was lifted from t'internet - I've seen Nuthatches locally but rarely in the garden. If you think it's a Greater Spotted woodpecker then it would be almost as big as a Blackbird as a guide.

The description of the size of the beast is a little confusing. There is a world of difference between a Willow Tit and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, which is part of the crow family. They often come to birdtables - and frighten everybody else off.

How about a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, size of a sparrow, fairly common but I have never seen one at a feeder or bird table.

image.jpeg.11ffe5e2f7aa7bc7411a90971d606400.jpeg

james

I initially wondered about a Lesser Spotted too James - but they are quite rare, although I've seen one at the Pulborough RSPB reserve, plus they don't have the red feathers under the tail which was part of Richard's description

2 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

I initially wondered about a Lesser Spotted too James - but they are quite rare, although I've seen one at the Pulborough RSPB reserve, plus they don't have the red feathers under the tail which was part of Richard's description

+1

Richard,

May I recommend as a useful guide "The Birds of Britain and Europe"?  EG:  https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/r-s-r-fitter/birds-of-britain-and-europe/9780002120340?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=18059580451&cq_con=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe51RowpuH_SBNNpr1erNzMQtQMNPRmO8ZkHhbhUHaN4wf_nufhWf0HkaAolvEALw_wcB#GOR003877078  Mine is getting very worn - I might buy this copy!

Each page of description has one of pictures opposite, and it lists 'distinguishing features' for each group like the Spotted Woodpeckers where they are similar.  Those say, "Red under tail: Greater Spotted"    In East Sussex you might have seen a Middle Spotted migrant from Europe, but that is the same size at the Greater, nine inches.     Other species similarly marked, the White-backed and Syrian, live too far away.

PeterVW showed a Greater Spotted - this is a Middle spotted (Not my pic!)  If that is what you saw, it would be worth contacting your local birder club, as this would be a great "twitch"!

John

image.thumb.png.6b53b96c6e4f77fcad61299b090100ea.png

Thanks for the pictures. Peter VW sent me a good picture with the same colours as my visitor and I have a similar dispenser which helps to judge  the size of my local bird. Is this a special woodpecker ? Mine has the same markings on his head and if he allows me out in the garden I will take a picture next time he arrives.

Since I posted here he has not come back for any food. The small garden birds are all gathering for the fat balls and they empty the seed dispenser in about  three hours.

The sky is clouding over and it looks like some bad weather is coming soon.

Thanks Richard & B

Hi Richard,

not a rare woodpecker. 

Though woodpeckers are not two a penny.  Yours is the Greater Spotted Woody and is the most common

They tend to go to many feeding areas so you may not see him again this year.

Roger

Strong wind last night and I was worried that trees could blow over during the emergency. But this morning it is quiet and normal but no Woodpeckers. I am keeping a close watch.

Thanks Richard & B

How about a redwing?   About the size of the blackbird.   Usually strips all the berries off the bushes this time of year.

IMG_2284.jpeg

• 2 months later...

A pair of these has been feeding on the bird table all winter. Son in law and grandson are both 'ringers' so we know we have a pair. Mealworms odered. Its a red list species.image.png.da3362e76e629c7fc80fd88beb63000d.png

27 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Willow Tit or Marsh Tit I think, both red listed

They are Willow Tits. It was only when they were in the hand ( for ringing) that id was definite. They are thought not to compete with other tits for food but the ringing session caught ca 100 all using the same table. Maybe they dont like hanging bird feeders.

Peter