London - Biggest fire works display in Europe!

But Khan and his half baked Labour cronnies can't house the homeless or get a hold on record knife crime!

Hardly a priority but never mind I'm sure ULEZ fees will pay for an even bigger event next year.

What a waste? 

Andy

I understand your sentiment, however I’m sure there would also be plenty of negative feedback if there was no NYE display either. I can just picture the news reporter discussing the celebrations in Sydney, New York etc. and then saying there was nothing comparable taking place in London.

The fireworks are a fairly recent event in London. 

Everybody was happy to be in TRafalgar  square waiting for the BONG of big Ben getting seriously pissed and ending up in one of the fountains.

Great fun. 

And then it was banned

Roger

When the county has money to spare and the balance of payments are in the black then fair enough time to party until then people have to learn you cut your coat to suit the cloth. Problem is folk seem to think money grows on trees and have forgotten the value of hard work. I don't see as negative press but common sense which they would do well to promote. Getting pissed as Roger says cost nothing really other than a sore head. Besides I bet the fireworks are imported?

Bar Humbug I hear you say! 

Isn't it time we stopped using fireworks anyway. Can't see that launching tons of pollutants into the atmosphere is a great idea. Wouldn't a laser display be just as effective?

Jerry

Just now, jerrytr5 said:

Isn't it time we stopped using fireworks anyway. Can't see that launching tons of pollutants into the atmosphere is a great idea. Wouldn't a laser display be just as effective?

Jerry

Quite right - but then the leader of the GLA  would not be the ly**g hypocritical leader that he is.  

40 dead every year due to pollution - NOT

28 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Jerry

Laser or even better a drone display would be good.

fireworks are sooo last century and surely you can’t charge vehicle pollution then send up tonnes of fireworks ?

missed a trick there I think  ………

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

But Khan and his half baked Labour cronnies can't house the homeless or get a hold on record knife crime!

Hardly a priority but never mind I'm sure ULEZ fees will pay for an even bigger event next year.

What a waste? 

Andy

I am under the impression that you have to pay for your ticket to see the London fireworks, you cannot just turn up to watch you must have a ticket. I could be wrong about having to pay but don’t think so.

IMG_3493.png

Edited by SuzanneH
12 minutes ago, Hamish said:

fireworks are sooo last century

Actually, last millennium - invented around 1000 - 1200AD by the Chinese; who also make the drones. 

The pollution from drone manufacture is less readily visible of course but is still there. 

You will likely find that any pollution from the short-lived firework display is dwarfed to utter insignificance by that emitted by the present eruption in Iceland. 

24 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

I am under the impression that you have to pay for your ticket to see the London fireworks, you cannot just turn up to watch you must have a ticket. I could be wrong about having to pay but don’t think so.

IMG_3493.png

Even if they have to pay Sue what about all the other hidden costs in terms of policing, clean up etc which are passed on no doubt to council tax payers?

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

Even if they have to pay Sue what about all the other hidden costs in terms of policing, clean up etc which are passed on no doubt to council tax payers?

I don’t think it can be added into our Council Tax as it must be included in the Mayors Precept which is mainly for The Met Police and a Park over the other side of London that we have to pay for thanks to Ken Livingstone , those of us on the west of London are hardly ever likely to go there  although I did go there once. Traffic on M25 is prohibitive of getting there or even wanting to get there. 
( I worked in Council Tax, Rates, Community Charge for the last 20 years of my working life)

We went to see the Millenium Fireworks and Concorde Flypast we we’re on Westminster Bridge, we didn’t see a thing because it was sooooo foggy and then we were Kettled by the Police on horses, talk about frightening, never again……………..

Edited by SuzanneH
3 hours ago, RobH said:

Actually, last millennium - invented around 1000 - 1200AD by the Chinese; who also make the drones. 

The pollution from drone manufacture is less readily visible of course but is still there. 

You will likely find that any pollution from the short-lived firework display is dwarfed to utter insignificance by that emitted by the present eruption in Iceland. 

Tooo literal Rob ……

the Iceland eruption is a natural event and not really what I was on about. 
but happy new year to all. 

9 hours ago, Hamish said:

the Iceland eruption is a natural event

Literal maybe but it has to be pointed out Hamish, else the (well meaning) nonsense goes unchallenged.

People get all steamed up about things which are in fact dwarfed by 'natural events', so utterly insignificant in the scheme of things.  Like the UK impoverishing its people and setting society back a century, in pursuit of a totally spurious net-zero policy which will make not one jot of difference, all in the name of virtue signalling.

Sorry for the rant but the continuous and increasing drip-drip-drip of unthinking media-driven propaganda just gets my goat.  

Happy ~New~Year :D

Edited by RobH
28 minutes ago, RobH said:

People get all steamed up about things which are in fact dwarfed by 'natural events', so utterly insignificant in the scheme of things.  Like the UK impoverishing its people and setting society back a century, in pursuit of a totally spurious net-zero policy which will make not one jot of difference, all in the name of virtue signalling.

Sorry for the rant but the continuous and increasing drip-drip-drip of unthinking media-driven propaganda just gets my goat.  

Completely agree!

Just one thing to add its completely the wrong policy the issue as I've said before is the world population crisis. Zero would be a step too far but a staged 50% reduction over the next 100 years would do more for the planet and quality of life if linked to technological advances. That would mean a UK population around that of the 1950's what's not to like.   

Natural events the planet has always managed to survive, albeit with very significant change. What we face now is massively accelerated change as a result of us “clever” humans. To state that one human event is massively outweighed by a natural phenomena is correct, but the totality of our actions is the problem. If  “Everyone” were to make small changes, the impact would be significant and beneficial, our resistance to change is a major human character trait and problem.

Edited by iain
11 minutes ago, iain said:

Natural events the planet has always managed to survive, albeit with very significant change. What we face now is massively accelerated change as a result of us “clever” humans. To state that one human event is massively outweighed by a natural phenomena is correct, but the totality of our actions is the problem. If  “Everyone” were to make small changes, the impact would be significant and beneficial, our resistance to change is a major human character trait and problem.

Any small changes will simply be overwhelmed through the shear numbers of mouths to feed. Nature in the end will fix it through disease and famine with wars over resources doing the rest. All avoidable.

The best small change is to limit birth rates to one/family unit while any foreign aid being directly linked to this.

42 minutes ago, iain said:

What we face now is massively accelerated change as a result of us “clever” humans.

No  - there is actually no hard evidence of anything of the sort;  just hypotheses which real measurements and historical records do not support. The 'crisis' is manufactured on the output of flawed computer models which can't even replicate the past properly and which are being used for prediction, even though they are unsuited for that.

It may surprise you, that in the far distant past CO2 levels were orders of magnitude above anything seen now - and nothing catastrophic occurred to the planet. Why then should it occur with the tiny increase now seen from a low of around 0.0003% to the present 0.0004% ? 

The MET-office claims of " hottest year/day/month evva " are based on fleeting fractions of a degree, measured using instruments which have higher resolution and faster response than the old mercury-in-glass thermometers, and which are sited in places where the surroundings have markedly changed over the decades - like airports.

Edited by RobH

Methane levels in past epochs were even higher which is a more potent greenhouse gas.

I agree Andy, get the homeless off the streets of London,  and other cities, before fffffing  Fireworks. 

Conrad.

At least we seem to have some willing volunteers for the first in line for the population cull which is very selfless and in the spirit of goodwill to all human kind.

happy new year

26 minutes ago, Hamish said:

At least we seem to have some willing volunteers for the first in line for the population cull

I don't think you can describe as "willing volunteers", all the people who will die of hypothermia because they can't afford to heat their homes due to net-zero fuel prices. :unsure::o

Hi Folks,

I do not know who is right or who is wrong regarding any of the world problems.

What I do know is that each country does what it likes and doesn't give a damn about others.

The world has been moaning and groaning about forests around the world being destroyed but they do NOTHING.

Take the Brazilian Amazon - massive areas destroyed so that the peasants have ONE years farming growth  - then it is gone. Replaced by non native trees that are useless.  Logging in whatever country.

Other countries could have bought into these jungle areas00 and then mothballed them to leave as habitat for indigenous animals. But NO.  Too much bother.

The leaders of the world spout great things and do nothing meaningful.

The Jews are murdering babies and young children and the world does nothing

Yemen destroyed and the world does nothing

India sends rockets into the sky and we send them aid

All very topsy turvy

Welcome to 2024 for more of the same.

Roger

Edited by RogerH