Replacing the diffential

Jack with either a diff carrier bracket on it or a sandbag. either way its a bit of a balancing act.

Stuart.

I made up a simple wooden saddle for the diff, and used cable ties to hold it onto a jack. I put the front rubber washers onto the support rods and taped them in place before lifting the diff. I recall I had to raise the front of diff a little and then move the trolley jack forward a little to get clear access to support rods at the back end. It was tricky and I had a few goes at it before success. Took a few tea breaks as well along the way! Good luck.

Hi Casa66

my last diff refit involved  using some long 8mm studding.  (2  may work but 4 is better.)  3/8UNF to M8 adaptors and some large washers.

It is then a matter or engaging the diff onto thew studding and then screwing it up.  Very tedious but does work.

You can use the crocodile jack toi raise as high as possible to remove some of the tediousness.

Roger

39 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

Lie on your back drag Diff up onto your chest lift up into position and hold in place with you knees until you manage to get fixings on,it’s doable believe me I’ve done it.

Hi Niall,

when I need mine doing I'll give you a call. As much tea and biscuits you can handle.:)

Roger

3 hours ago, Martin50 said:

I made up a simple wooden saddle for the diff, and used cable ties to hold it onto a jack. I put the front rubber washers onto the support rods and taped them in place before lifting the diff. I recall I had to raise the front of diff a little and then move the trolley jack forward a little to get clear access to support rods at the back end. It was tricky and I had a few goes at it before success. Took a few tea breaks as well along the way! Good luck.

I ended up doing something similar. The wooden saddle was the solution

3 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

Lie on your back drag Diff up onto your chest lift up into position and hold in place with you knees until you manage to get fixings on,it’s doable believe me I’ve done it.

+1, I've done it that way but it was nearly 50 years ago!!, at the time I thought"F*%@K me" if this comes down before the first nut goes on I'm dead!!         Would I do it that way now? .....  NO absolutely not!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Cheers Rob

On 12/29/2023 at 5:26 PM, TR NIALL said:

Done this also but not for the feint hearted. Now have a hydraulic motorcycle stand that I have welded casters to. Best tool for gearbox and diff installs.. (I know the tr gearbox goes in from above, but my stag goes in from below. )

Tim