MIG welder Oddity

Hi Folks,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Clarke 100E mIG welder.

It does the normal tatty welds that I'm nearly happy with but just recently it is starting to, for want of a better word, spray the weld surface.

The sound of frying bacon is replaced with a smooth hissing sound

It is as if the crackly sparks are replaced with a plasma glow.

The weld surface has a strange clean appearance and there is a blob of weld on the welding wire in the gun.

I'm using Argon gas on Mild steel.

What have I invented !!

Roger

Contamination inside the welding nozzle, strip the nozzle down and clean the surface ( I wipe with thinners soaked rag) and also the jet push a bit of welding wire dipped in thinner through the jet Leave to dry off, and try again.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

When was the last time you replaced the liner? They get contaminated with the coating on the wire which also slows down the wire speed. One other thing is clean the roller at the feed end thats driven to feed the wire, run the roller with no wire and with a spirit wipe rag clean off the groove in the roller, this helps to feed the wire better.

Stuart.

Many thanks. Some interesting answers

The wire liner was replaced in the Summer after a fatal bung up. 

The rollers were cleaned.

I thiknk the wire speed is not too far off as plenty of metal is placed on the weld nugget usuyally.

I shall try Micks suggestion as it is easy and quick.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Roger

Hi Roger,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I was told some time ago that Argon/Co2 mix was a better weld shield for mild steel (5% CO2 for thin steel sheet), Argon is best for Stainless.                                             Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

The Argon does work on MS but at a cost. I couldn't be bothered to swap the bottles over.  

The welds did look clean for those that worked.   Where the gun was plasmering (new verb)  things were clean but no metal put down.

I've finished the welding now but for the next job I will swap the bottles.

Roger

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Roger - but looks like you are sorted.

can you ? Is it worth it ?

doing away with gas ( I’ve run out) in favour of flux cored wire 

I very rarely weld so it would always be ready to go

its an ancient Clarke welder.

I’ve seen some do this and change the polarity 

discuss

Hi Roger,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Just for interest try welding an off-cut of stainless under the same conditions and see if your new plasmering effect is still present, maybe the next step is a small Black Hole.    I'm sure I have a Hadron Collider somewhere in the garage.                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers Rob 

You older lads had all the fun!

I feel I have missed out. No speed limits on the M1 its no faster now than driving in Wales :wacko:

29 minutes ago, PodOne said:

You older lads had all the fun!

I feel I have missed out. No speed limits on the M1 its no faster now than driving in Wales :wacko:

Well its absolutely the case that our generation have it the best.

Things we used to do in cars 50 years ago- WOW and the only cameras were box Brownies 

John

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rob,

The Argon does work on MS but at a cost. I couldn't be bothered to swap the bottles over.  

The welds did look clean for those that worked.   Where the gun was plasmering (new verb)  things were clean but no metal put down.

I've finished the welding now but for the next job I will swap the bottles.

Roger

TBH I prefer argon as Ive found the argoshield light isnt as good as they seem to have upped the level of CO2 now compared to how it was in the past.

Stuart.