John I have heard good reports of this stuff

https://www.renovointernational.com/help/convertible-top-mould-can-i-use-clean/

my dad used to use a solution of white vinegar- he was a pre war baby thus home remedies usually tried first with him. I wouldn’t know the concentration - and as they say - test a discrete area first. It’s supposed to kill the mould spores and not just clean away the surface gunge

Roger/John

The Renovo products are good, used them on a modern MX5 hood that sat outside all year round. Assuming your modern hood is fabric/mohair it's worthwhile considering reproofing it and possibly recolouring it at the same time, again there are  Renovo products to do this. 

Dave 

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Quick one folks, 

anyone have any thought son how to remove mould

from a modern convertable top, that has to live outside all year round?

John.

Hi John, on my Z4 I use 2 tablets of Milton sterilisation tablets in half a bucket of cold water - left them to dissolve for 15 minutes then gave it a good stir.  Use a nail/dish brush to go over the whole area and a tooth brush to concentrate on the spots.

IMG_5427.jpeg

Err … doesn’t the Milton leave a white residue if used on a material ? I’d have thought it would get into the fabric weave. 

Mick Richards

58 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Err … doesn’t the Milton leave a white residue if used on a material ? I’d have thought it would get into the fabric weave. 

Mick Richards

Not on the Z4 as there is a rubber under layer which then drains out the car. A good car wash  afterwards and everything is good. I’ve been doing it for years with no residue. 

7 hours ago, Hamish said:

I can vouch for the Renovo products. I used them on my BMW Z3 mohair  roof, which lives outdoors all year round, earlier this year. 
I approached it sceptically, thinking it might not work, but was delighted with the results. Had to give a few local stubborn areas a 2nd clean. I was very surprised at how much muck came off. 
Let it dry on a warm day then applied the reviver which really freshened it up. When I next washed it beads of water sat on top of the treated roof, demonstrating its water tightness. 
Very pleased and will definitely use it again. The containers had enough for two treatments. 
Dave McD

Just now, Dave McDonald said:

I can vouch for the Renovo products. I used them on my BMW Z3 mohair  roof, which lives outdoors all year round, earlier this year. 
I approached it sceptically, thinking it might not work, but was delighted with the results. Had to give a few local stubborn areas a 2nd clean. I was very surprised at how much muck came off. 
Let it dry on a warm day then applied the reviver which really freshened it up. When I next washed it beads of water sat on top of the treated roof, demonstrating its water tightness. 
Very pleased and will definitely use it again. The containers had enough for two treatments. 
Dave McD

Forgot to say, having treated the roof it now has a small cockpit area car cover over it when parked up to protect the finish. 
Dave McD