Would a oil catcher benefit the engine.

Hi Paul

The 4a standard set up works perfectly well I’d recommend leaving as is, it’s easy to maintain and doesn’t give to much trouble if you have to fit a catch tank there’s plenty of tips here in the forums just do a search 

Chris

Thank you. I felt the engine would be OK but a friend of mine who has had TR's much longer than me keeps trying to sell me the benefits of an oil catcher that he fitted to his TR4. Obviously the 4 did not have the breather. He is also building the engine in his TR4a that does not have a breather either.

I'll leave mine as it is

14 hours ago, Paul Garvey said:

Thank you. I felt the engine would be OK but a friend of mine who has had TR's much longer than me keeps trying to sell me the benefits of an oil catcher that he fitted to his TR4. Obviously the 4 did not have the breather. He is also building the engine in his TR4a that does not have a breather either.

I'll leave mine as it is

TR4 should have a block breather pipe anyway, it was deleted on the 4a to meet emissions at the time and replaced with a PRV .

Stuart.

18 hours ago, Paul Garvey said:

I'll leave mine as it is

The valve where cleaned, new bronze valve guide fitted... The inlet valves are carbon caked ( see pic ). ( outlet valve don't suck oil of the valve stem but due to vacuum inlet valve well ).

There are normally no valve stem seal in our TR motor, witch part is due from oil coming from the valve stem and the other from the PCV valve injecting oil vapor in the inlet manifold I have no idea...  "theoretically" a catch tank would be better ( all the makers of catch tank say so  :-) )  Modern motors mostly have the same problem...

I have no opinion I use a PCV valve...

But here 2 videos against a catch can... 

20231018_090154.jpg

On 11/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, stuart said:

TR4 should have a block breather pipe anyway, it was deleted on the 4a to meet emissions at the time and replaced with a PRV .

Stuart.

After plonking newly-built engine in my 4, realised we have a blank plug where the block breather goes. Now contemplating the faff of removing plug with engine in situ to refit the 'snorkel' pipe. Doh.

BUT... just to educate me... how does the PRV on the 4A work, to overcome a deleted block breather? In very simple language please! (I have a breather pipe on rocker cover but on TR4 inlet manifold/SUs with no pipework).

Thanks, Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple
11 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

After plonking newly-built engine in my 4, realised we have a blank plug where the block breather goes. Now contemplating the faff of removing plug with engine in situ to refit the 'snorkel' pipe. Doh.

BUT... just to educate me... how does the PRV on the 4A work, to overcome a deleted block breather? In very simple language please! (I have a breather pipe on rocker cover but on TR4 inlet manifold/SUs with no pipework).

Thanks, Nigel

I explained here at the forum a several times how the PCV valve works.

Sadly most TR4A owners do not understand the benefit of the PCV valve.

Please browse the forum

Edited by Z320

Many thanks Marco. I now understand the general principle of the PCV. Since my post last night I've also been reading through a selection of the many posts on here and BCF etc about other aspects of crankcase breathing.

It appears that although getting the breather blank plug out of the block with the engine in place would be do-able, a simpler solution is to make use of the blanked off petrol pump hole (I have an electric pump). Although concerns have been raised baout sucking too much oil out by that hole which is obviously adjacent to the camshaft gallery, some good authorities appear to have done that successfully. Mick Richards suggested incorporating some kind of baffle to reduce the oil splash exiting via the new pipe.

As always, voluminous and excellent content on the forum - if you think to look in the right places!

Cheers all

Nigel

My Racetorations catch tank kit/system appears to have worked well since fitment some years ago on my 4A. Certainly oil/muck in the tank.

4 hours ago, monty said:

My Racetorations catch tank kit/system appears to have worked well since fitment some years ago on my 4A. Certainly oil/muck in the tank.

I'd seen that online but £190 for a small plastic tank plus some hose and fittings seemed a bit cheeky given that you can buy an ally catch tank for about 50 quid. But then again it always seems to end up being What TR Wants, TR Gets. :D

Nigel

2 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

I'd seen that online but £190 for a small plastic tank plus some hose and fittings seemed a bit cheeky given that you can buy an ally catch tank for about 50 quid. But then again it always seems to end up being What TR Wants, TR Gets. :D

Nigel

I bought mine many years ago when they were on offer and even then it was a bit expensive but It just does it and does it well and fits just right in the space so Im happy with it.

Stuart.

IMG_5089.thumb.jpeg.cb4ac3869dcd9a003062fd5e5792353b.jpeg

2 hours ago, stuart said:

I bought mine many years ago when they were on offer and even then it was a bit expensive but It just does it and does it well and fits just right in the space so Im happy with it.

Stuart.

IMG_5089.thumb.jpeg.cb4ac3869dcd9a003062fd5e5792353b.jpeg

Exactly same as me Stuart.

Nigel,

You could see your local stanless steel fabricator and get him to make something similar to the photo, this came with the engine which went into my TR6 this summer. It fits neatly between the bulkhead and the rear fo the inner wing and combines the oil catch tank, radiator header tank and windscreen washer fluid tank and has the unforeseen benefit of giving your windscreen a  hot wash!!

Dave

20230622_125102.jpg

19 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

Many thanks Marco. I now understand the general principle of the PCV. Since my post last night I've also been reading through a selection of the many posts on here and BCF etc about other aspects of crankcase breathing.

It appears that although getting the breather blank plug out of the block with the engine in place would be do-able, a simpler solution is to make use of the blanked off petrol pump hole (I have an electric pump). Although concerns have been raised baout sucking too much oil out by that hole which is obviously adjacent to the camshaft gallery, some good authorities appear to have done that successfully. Mick Richards suggested incorporating some kind of baffle to reduce the oil splash exiting via the new pipe.

As always, voluminous and excellent content on the forum - if you think to look in the right places!

Cheers all

Nigel

You are welcome,

don‘t worry, I‘m well used to the issue people don’t do what I recommend