Hi everybody,

This TR2 has been auctioned twice, and has not been sold.

Surprising because it seemed to be a quite interesting car, properly restored with attention to authenticity...

May be the lack of O/D & W/W is a start of an explanation?

Does someone know this car, and is able to confirm that it was cared after ? Owners were Tr Register members?

Many thks therefore.

Edited by Francois HENOTTR3B

Very poor panel fit and no real attention to correct early car detail (Despite claims in the catalogue) is why it didnt sell I would imagine plus probably too high a reserve.

Stuart.

4 minutes ago, Francois HENOTTR3B said:

Thks Stuart! I had noticed the poor panel fit on the rear (spare wheel cover)..

Doors and bootlid as well. But interior and underbonnet details also wrong.

Stuart.

Where shall we start on the lack of authenticity?   
Me first.   Repro front apron badge.   Temperature sender capillary coiled like a drunken snake and clipped to the bulkhead.  What’s going on with the boot seal and its channel?  Looks a bit post 60 k to me with a piece of TR6 boot seal added.   Are there any boot channel corner drains? 

The chassis number is TS 3456 which may be correct but I have never seen sequential numbers before. They may exist ??? Do we know the reserve yet ?

Peter, Your checking is very accurate. Is it correct to have the fuel pipe over the  rear SU when connecting the front carb to the rear one

Well done to all watchers

Richard & B 

Interior, tonneau studs on the capping not further forward by the screen, door pulls wrong and wrong forward location, grab handle chrome should be black. Rear tank board completely wrong should be plain vinyl with no visible fixings. Later dash capping with hole for vent pull just covered over by vinyl, post 60K back end by the looks of it with as noted by Peter the later type boot rubber position, Chrome rocker cover not black, re-stamped chassis plate only fixed by three rivets and incorrectly placed, Body plates riveted on not screwed, incorrect hood and obviously large tenax used instead of miniature. The catalogue listing clearly states the restorer was trying to restore to as original spec as possible.

Stuart.

52 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

The chassis number is TS 3456 which may be correct but I have never seen sequential numbers before. They may exist ??? Do we know the reserve yet ?

Peter, Your checking is very accurate. Is it correct to have the fuel pipe over the  rear SU when connecting the front carb to the rear one

Well done to all watchers

Richard & B 

Yes this is correct for this car.   TR2 with H4 the rigid pipe goes over the top between the carbs and the banjo fittings that attach the pipe to the carb are on the engine side of the carbs.  On H6 the pipe goes down and the banjo fixings are on the air cleaner side of the carbs.  Change in float lids effects this.

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What’s going on with the boot seal and its channel?  Looks a bit post 60 k to me with a piece of TR6 boot seal added.   Are there any boot channel corner drains? 

There is a visible hole in the left side corner. Hinges are not raised, so probably not a post 60000 rear end.

Just now, Lebro said:

There is a visible hole in the left side corner. Hinges are not raised, so probably not a post 60000 rear end.

The channel and gutter arrangement is.

The boot channel and gutter are the same as, or at least similar to, mine. I know it isn't correct but it's how the restorer recreated the rear end with repro panels for me - I suspect the early double channel arrangement would need to be fabricated by hand. It's not an issue for me - but I'm not claiming absolute originality.

5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Clean and tidy car otherwise for £10-15k

I suspect the reserve is a lot more than that hence the no sale.

Stuart.

On 11/7/2023 at 3:36 AM, stuart said:

Interior, tonneau studs on the capping not further forward by the screen, door pulls wrong and wrong forward location, grab handle chrome should be black. Rear tank board completely wrong should be plain vinyl with no visible fixings. Later dash capping with hole for vent pull just covered over by vinyl, post 60K back end by the looks of it with as noted by Peter the later type boot rubber position, Chrome rocker cover not black, re-stamped chassis plate only fixed by three rivets and incorrectly placed, Body plates riveted on not screwed, incorrect hood and obviously large tenax used instead of miniature. The catalogue listing clearly states the restorer was trying to restore to as original spec as possible.

Stuart.

I largely agree but this is a later long door TR2 and some of the features you refer to only apply to the earlier cars.

Large tenax were used from Commission number TS3514 but I believe the tonneau studs had moved back to the capping quite early in the TR2 build. I received a long tonneau from John Skinner for my long door car (TS3732O) which has the studs on the capping not under the windscreen. This car is a genuine 3 owner car, I'm the 3rd owner, and the 2nd owner knew the car when the 1st owner owned it.

John believed the studs moved to the capping at about TS5200. My other TR2 (TS5038O), also original, has the studs on the capping. This was confirmed by the original owner who I met last year.

I researched the matter and sent John numerous photos of TR2s post about TS1250 with the studs on the capping. He sent me material for a new tonneau as it was too difficult to return the wrong one from Australia.

The subject car is clearly a cut and shut of two cars. The rear is a late 3A, it has poor panel alignment, and the front apron has a protruding jaw indicating it has been repaired incorrectly. The car has had a major crash.

Many of the other details are easily fixed, these ones aren't.

Edited by John McCormack
On 11/10/2023 at 8:54 AM, John McCormack said:

I largely agree but this is a later long door TR2 and some of the features you refer to only apply to the earlier cars.

Large tenax were used from Commission number TS3514 but I believe the tonneau studs had moved back to the capping quite early in the TR2 build. I received a long tonneau from John Skinner for my long door car (TS3732O) which has the studs on the capping not under the windscreen. This car is a genuine 3 owner car, I'm the 3rd owner, and the 2nd owner knew the car when the 1st owner owned it.

John believed the studs moved to the capping at about TS5200. My other TR2 (TS5038O), also original, has the studs on the capping. This was confirmed by the original owner who I met last year.

I researched the matter and sent John numerous photos of TR2s post about TS1250 with the studs on the capping. He sent me material for a new tonneau as it was too difficult to return the wrong one from Australia.

The subject car is clearly a cut and shut of two cars. The rear is a late 3A, it has poor panel alignment, and the front apron has a protruding jaw indicating it has been repaired incorrectly. The car has had a major crash.

Many of the other details are easily fixed, these ones aren't.

Thks a lot John for this comprehensive topic !

Edited by Francois HENOTTR3B