Scum bags tried breaking into boot - now won’t open

Hi

some scum bags tried breaking into my boot.  They have done some damage where I can see they tried a screw driver to lever open the boot and also they have damaged the lock barrel quite a lot so I now cannot get into the boot.

before I go drilling any lock barrels I am unsure if this even works so open to advice on opening it.

thanks

Richard  

In the old days we used to use a slide hammer, screw it right into the key hole and a few good sharp pulls on the slide would take the barrel right out.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, stuart said:

In the old days we used to use a slide hammer, screw it right into the key hole and a few good sharp pulls on the slide would take the barrel right out.

Stuart.

Thanks - do all slide hammers come with a screwing mechanism ?

Just now, AarhusTr6 said:

Thanks - do all slide hammers come with a screwing mechanism ?

They often come with a selection of adaptors, we used to weld a large self tapper into the end of one of the adaptors.

Like this Slide hammer

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Cheers Stuart 

Slow down

Does your key go in and does it turn the lock barrel.   If yes but pressing the knob does not release the boot you need to approach the task at the finger which is pressed into the lock assembly.   I think you can insert an hacksaw blade through the gap between boot lid and rear panel and slowly saw through the finger.   You may damage some paint and the seal but that might be cheaper than a damaged boot and rear panel.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1993.png

30 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Slow down

Does your key go in and does it turn the lock barrel.   If yes but pressing the knob does not release the boot you need to approach the task at the finger which is pressed into the lock assembly.   I think you can insert an hacksaw blade through the gap between boot lid and rear panel and slowly saw through the finger.   You may damage some paint and the seal but that might be cheaper than a damaged boot and rear panel.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1993.png

Im not sure that that would work as the lip that the boot rubber sits on would be in the way also dont forget the rear of the boot lid sits over and down behind the rubber. Slide hammer will take the barrel out with less damage.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
3 minutes ago, stuart said:

Im not sure that that would work as the lip that the boot rubber sits on would be in the way also dont forget the rear of the boot lid sits over and down behind the rubber. Slide hammer will take the barrel out with less damage.

Stuart.

Agreed the lock removal is needed if the barrel will not turn.  It is just getting the latch to release after that which will be the slow process.   The lip of the boot may well cause an obstruction.  On MGF we would smash into the boot through the rear lamp and fiddle through.  On the TR that is probably not going to help as spares will determine what you are willing to destroy on the journey to get the boot open.

1 minute ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Agreed the lock removal is needed if the barrel will not turn.  It is just getting the latch to release after that which will be the slow process.   The lip of the boot may well cause an obstruction.  On MGF we would smash into the boot through the rear lamp and fiddle through.  On the TR that is probably not going to help as spares will determine what you are willing to destroy on the journey to get the boot open.

If you can get the barrel out in theory if they havent completely twisted the boot lid then a screwdriver pushed straight through should spring the latch.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 546.jpg

Tonys TR6 547.jpg

Typically it’s safe here lRoger but we have ghetto areas near me in Aarhus and these people just take from others when they want something rather than work for it,

Edited by AarhusTr6

Silly question but all avenues worth exploring - have you tried pushing down on the boot lid and then turning the key ? Works with me when the button won’t go in.

As for the scumbags - crucifiction’s too good for them (Life of Brian)

13 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Silly question but all avenues worth exploring - have you tried pushing down on the boot lid and then turning the key ? Works with me when the button won’t go in.

As for the scumbags - crucifiction’s too good for them (Life of Brian)

I go banned from hacebook for 30 days for suggesting similar should happen to the guys who chopped down rhe tree at hadrians wall. It appears the suggestion is not "friendly"

=

3 hours ago, Phil Read said:

I go banned from hacebook for 30 days for suggesting similar should happen to the guys who chopped down rhe tree at hadrians wall. It appears the suggestion is not "friendly"

=

Wouldn’t even know where to start with a reply…

Hello Richard

Presumably you can't remove rear panel behind back seat and get access to the boot area and undo the boot hinges each side of the fuel tank? I once had a problem with a jammed lock on a 3 series BMW. I managed to access the boot through the radio speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf and then with a socket on an extension bar managed to undo the bolts holding the lock in place. Keyhole surgery!

Keith

Got it open using a slide hammer !  Not sure what to do next - assume I may need to clean up all the lock mechanism now and figure out how I fit a new lock barrel 

IMG_2121.jpeg

Edited by AarhusTr6
3 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Got it open using a slide hammer !  Not sure what to do next - assume I may need to clean up all the lock mechanism now and figure out how I fit a new lock barrel 

IMG_2121.jpeg

Well done, I knew that would be the easiest way. I dont have a mechanism here but theyre  usually held in with a small pin. Unscrew the whole mechanism from the car undo the screws that hold the barrel section from the front and then you can see where it fits through the side. Hopefully they havent damaged the rest of the mechanism.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
On 10/28/2023 at 5:29 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Stuart - thanks for slide hammer tip - without that tip I would have likely gone at it like a mad dog with  a drill with poor results !

1 minute ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Stuart - thanks for slide hammer tip - without that tip I would have likely gone at it like a mad dog with  a drill with poor results !

Glad it worked OK, many years ago back in my mis-spent youth I was taught that trick by professionals ;):ph34r:

Stuart.

Challenge now is obtaining a replacement lock barrel.    Part number 518102.   The pin to hold it is 518101.
James Paddock list the key barrel.   https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/barrel-and-key-boot-lock-nos-oe-tr6-2

I have looked at Weton Body Hardware, the most recent makers and they are part of a corporation now.    

https://www.westonbodyhardware.com/products/locks/