Hi. I have just bought my first TR6. It is also my first vintage car so I was wondering, how do you guys wash your cars? Here in Germany it isn't allowed to wash them in your drive with soap etc. so I would have to go to a car wash center but they don't allow customers to take their own buckets and they all only have the high pressure hose things which I don' really fancy using on my TR6.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Shaun70 said:

Hi. I have just bought my first TR6. It is also my first vintage car so I was wondering, how do you guys wash your cars? Here in Germany it isn't allowed to wash them in your drive with soap etc. so I would have to go to a car wash center but they don't allow customers to take their own buckets and they all only have the high pressure hose things which I don' really fancy using on my TR6.

Cheers

It depends what sort of paint it is.  If it's two pack, it will be OK with the high pressure hose.  In any event you just have to step back a bit to reduce the pressure at the vehicle.

Rgds Ian

On 10/23/2023 at 12:33 PM, Ian Vincent said:

It depends what sort of paint it is.  If it's two pack, it will be OK with the high pressure hose.  In any event you just have to step back a bit to reduce the pressure at the vehicle.

Rgds Ian

Hi. Thanks.

I don't know if it is two pack. It has been resprayed a few years ago so I know it isn't the original paint.

So what's the issue with using a bucket on your own drive? Is it illegal to do so? Surely that's too draconian even for Germany where they do like a rule for most things. Maybe that's why my neighbours thought it odd when I washed my cycle outside my flat when I lived in Munich.

I wouldn't use a pressure washer except in very specific areas - that's going to do more harm than good. Perhaps some of our continental forum members will have some tips for you.

Jerry

21 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

So what's the issue with using a bucket on your own drive? Is it illegal to do so? Surely that's too draconian even for Germany where they do like a rule for most things. Maybe that's why my neighbours thought it odd when I washed my cycle outside my flat when I lived in Munich.

I wouldn't use a pressure washer except in very specific areas - that's going to do more harm than good. Perhaps some of our continental forum members will have some tips for you.

Jerry

Three are all kinds of rules in Germany, which could seem unreasonable to a Brit... for example not mowing the grass on Sunday.  The car washing restriction doesn't surprise me... could happen here in a few years. 

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Why here in the UK or Germany?

I'm struggling to think of a reason as to why you wouldn't be able to wash your car on your drive or street. Surly more eco friendly than driving to some where else to have it washed? The detergent residue from either has to go down the same pipes to be treated.

Would seem better to insist on fully biodegradable washing agents.

Andy 

Rain is good. Leave your car out in a rain shower. The rain softens the dirt. Then use a bucket of rainwater to rinse it off before drying it. If the carwash police arrive simply point out that you are simply using rainwater that you are recycling with no additives. 

Keith

Germany has a lot of rules and it is part of their culture to follow them. No, in general you aren’t allowed to wash your car at home your have to use a designated car wash area with traps and filters on the drains to prevent toxic effluent going into them. 

Rgds Ian

PS my wife is half German and we go there fairly often to visit relatives and just enjoy their clean and well ordered environment. Returning to the litter strewn UK is always a culture shock. 

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Returning to the litter strewn UK is always a culture shock. 

Indeed, and that applies to France as well.   Clean cities, no litter, no graffiti.  

John

They certainly have more civic pride than here in the UK we seem to have lost it decades ago.

When we travel to Europe we ask ourselves what went wrong.

The grass is always greener…
We have our issues too in Holland. If the UK was that bad, we would not have visited it 3 times in just 1.5 year (and the next holiday to Malvern and then the Peak district is planned).

Waldi