Front brakes seizing

I have a 1975 TR6 and have been having a problem with my front brakes seizing on me after a moderate drive (2 miles plus). I changed my one front caliper that was seized ( guess I should have done both) took for a short drive and immediately jacked up and both wheels very tough to rotate. So I asked around and ended up changing all brake lines. Reservoir I changed quite a short time ago. Took car for a test drive today, again a moderate drive. By the time I got home both fronts seized and Divers side smoking. The only things I haven't done is the other caliper and the brake booster. Thoughts ??? I'm stumped

Sounds like the master cylinder, I had this when I fitted a new one as it wasn't adjusted correctly to the servo pushrod. 

Gareth

Hi Doug, other TR6 owners will be along, Welcome to our forum by the way, but set up between M/c and Servo is the likely culprit.

See this;-

front wheels (brakes?) smoking

By MC1234,
      June 18 in TR6 Forum.

John.

Welcome to the forum Doug,

as said by Gareth and John, this is likely an adjustment issue of the little pushrod in the servo that pushes the master cylinder “in”.

During driving the brake oil get’s warm and expands a bit in volume. That’s normal. The extra volume flows back to the reservoir if all works well.

If the MC is just a little bit activated (pushed in), the connection to the reservoir is separated from the system by the tipping valve. Fluid can no longer return and the pressure in the oil increases. This will activate the brakes.

Waldi

The pressure is staying in your pipes. Adjustment is your easy option but there was a yew years back a batch of dodgy master cylinders about eg tipping valves.

Roy

A useful tip.

When the brakes lock on, hop out, spanner in hand and loosen the two nuts that hold the master cylinder to the servo by a 1/16". If it instantly releases the brakes you have found the culprit. You can put two washers under them as a temporary bodge to get you home.

Now Jon,

that is a good “get you home” tip!

And above all, it will tell you if insufficient servo rod-clearance is the issue.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi
7 hours ago, FatJon said:

A useful tip.

When the brakes lock on, hop out, spanner in hand and loosen the two nuts that hold the master cylinder to the servo by a 1/16". If it instantly releases the brakes you have found the culprit. You can put two washers under them as a temporary bodge to get you home.

Nice tip Jon.

I'd just pre cut some slots in the washers so they can be slid in like shims.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:19 AM, FatJon said:

A useful tip.