Gear box oil filler nut....again.

16 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Clive if you can’t find a side filler plug on the same side as the of solenoid then it must have a dipstick to double as a filler 

John

Thanks John

Couldn't see an access on either side with the carpet up. I'm now wondering what size I need to cut for the bung I've just ordered?

Clive

2 minutes ago, Smithfire67 said:

Thanks John

Couldn't see an access on either side with the carpet up. I'm now wondering what size I need to cut for the bung I've just ordered?

Clive

Don’t mind the size of the hole just make sure it’s in the right place you can always cover  the hole with a piece of light plastic or Alloy.

Hi Clive,

as John says there must be a dipstick otherwise there is no way to put oil in the gearbox. I have just been out and taken a picture of my spare gearbox with a steel ruler laid on top. As you can see it is exactly 12 inches from the centre of the gearstick hole forward to the dipstick, and 2 inches offset from the centre line of the gearbox. If you remove the carpet and transfer these measurements to your tunnel you will be able to cut, or drill the required hole . You may struggle to get a drill with a hole cutter above the tunnel unless you have a 90 degree adapter for the drill. I would be tempted to use a cutting disc and angle grinder and cut out a square about 3 inches by 3 inches. You can then cover the hole with a larger piece of steel held in place with some self tappers. You could always drill the correct size hole in the steel cover to take the rubber bung when it arrives to make checking easier next time.

Ralph

20230916_091947.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
spelling mistake
7 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi Clive,

as John says there must be a dipstick otherwise there is no way to put oil in the gearbox. I have just been out and taken a picture of my spare gearbox with a steel riler laid on top. As you can see it is exactly 12 inches from the centre of the gearstick hole forward to the dipstick, and 2 inches offset from the centre line of the gearbox. If you remove the carpet and transfer these measurements to your tunnel you will be able to cut, or drill the required hole . You may struggle to get a drill with a hole cutter above the tunnel unless you have a 90 degree adapter for the drill. I would be tempted to use a cutting disc and angle grinder and cut out a square about 3 inches by 3 inches. You can then cover the hole with a larger piece of steel held in place with some self tappers. You could always drill the correct size hole in the steel cover to take the rubber bung when it arrives to make checking easier next time.

Ralph

20230916_091947.jpg

Thanks Ralph.....useful picture.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:26 PM, John Morrison said:

Clive if you can’t find a side filler plug on the same side as the of solenoid then it must have a dipstick to double as a filler 

John

Managed to get the transmission tunnel off this afternoon. I don't see any filler cap....just a blank where it should be? I DO have the inspection hole though. Bonus.

Any suggestions as to how to actually refill the gearbox?

Clive

Screenshot_20230916_204202_Photos.jpg

Hi Clive 

well that is  a strange one, I'm wondering if you have a bit of a codge up, a modern gearbox top, 

which wouldn't have a Dipstick, fixed to an original 3 synchro box that wouldn't have a side filler plug?

If you look adjacent to the clutch drop arm, on the Aluminium boss ther will stamped a number 2 letters  and some digits, try and get that back to us, and we'll at least identify the box.

John.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Clive 

well that is  a strange one, I'm wondering if you have a bit of a codge up, a modern gearbox top, 

which wouldn't have a Dipstick, fixed to an original 3 synchro box that wouldn't have a side filler plug?

If you look adjacent to the clutch drop arm, on the Aluminium boss ther will stamped a number 2 letters  and some digits, try and get that back to us, and we'll at least identify the box.

John.

On 3 synchro the gearbox serial number is here.  

IMG_5210.jpeg

11 hours ago, Smithfire67 said:

Here's a pic of the left side of the box Roger. 

Screenshot_20230916_204436_Photos.jpg

Off with the top cover 

Drill through where the dipstick should be   Big enough to fill through and of a size you can plug  

One of us can provide a length for a dipstick that you can create from a length of wire    

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

look on the lefthand side of the box - you should see a square headed filled plug there.

See item #71   HERE

Looking at Clive's photo there seems to be a nut and bolt in EXACTLY the same place as the drawing with part number 71.

Surely that is the oil filler, but someone has lost the plug and replaced it with a nut and bolt.

Charlie.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Looking at Clive's photo there seems to be a nut and bolt in EXACTLY the same place as the drawing with part number 71.

Surely that is the oil filler, but someone has lost the plug and replaced it with a nut and bolt.

Charlie.

That does look like item 71.  If that is a filler plug that would suffice. That or swap the gearbox cover for one with a filler/access on the right side?

I'll get the gearbox serial today too.

Clive

I do not think  that is the filler - too far forward.

Replacing the top cover is the easiest solution (Maybe)

Or as mentioned easy enough to drill and tap a hole in the top for a dip  stick hole.

A sealed gearbox, whatever next - headlights may be.

Roger

But if that nut and bolt is not in the filler hole then what is it for?

There are many people here who have rebuilt their own box who should be familiar with that nut and bolt if it is something other than a makeshift filler plug.

(I’m still certain that the parts drawing and the photo show the same place.)

EDIT:

Hmmmm

Just found some photos on a thread (half way down) by Peter W.

One shows a box with the nut/bolt in the said hole, so maybe it does something other than just replace a missing filler plug

Edited by Charlie D
8 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

TS 29962.  Mid 1958 TR3A gearbox casing

Yep, should still have  dipstick fitted in top cover, (fitted to TS50000) so theres been a swap of top cover.

Stuart

Take the top remote cover off

Drill it and fit a dipstick

Try Peter Cox and Son for an original used dipstick

If you cannot get a dipstick one of us could make you one.   I have made them in the past and can do it again

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Take the top remote cover off

Drill it and fit a dipstick

Try Peter Cox and Son for an original used dipstick

If you cannot get a dipstick one of us could make you one.   I have made them in the past and can do it again

Very kind offer. 

So the concensus is it's a 3a gearbox with a non 3a cover? 

I'll have a look at getting the proper cover with the solenoid fitments and if that's a no no then I'll drill and tap the one I have.

Fun this ain't it!

Clive

1 minute ago, Smithfire67 said:

Very kind offer. 

I'll have a look at getting the proper cover with the solenoid fitments and if that's a no no then I'll drill and tap the one I have.

Fun this ain't it!

Clive

Quicker and cheaper to drill your cover casting.   The casting you have works fine it is just missing a dip stick hole.    A replacement that has not got badly worn operating forks could be pricey.  

36 minutes ago, Smithfire67 said:

Very kind offer. 

Fun this ain't it!

Clive

Hi Clive

where about's do you  live?

Roger