Toby's new project

A very good friend of the forum has just embarked on an exciting new chapter in his life and doing something I think we'd all be envious of.

Many of you will know Toby from the excellent products he provides for the TR6 and he's now making this a full time venture.

The video explains it all and it's an amazing and inspiring watch. Good luck Toby - it's going to be great watching your business grow and hopefully those of us who can support you will do !

Good luck with that, hope you get some well heeled clients, though given the location that shouldnt be difficult.;)

Stuart.

Great update Toby, really enjoyable production makes you want to watch all the way through as well as wondering what happens next !

Given the dry conditions over there, part of me wonders whether the market is for pristine nut and bolt restorations, or warts and all, but solid useable daily driver classic, with patina and character.

In the VW world the rat look has been in favour for many years - many be worth looking at Hayburner (free online subscription) for some thoughts and ideas.

No idea on the Dubai market, but stand out cars sometimes aren’t the most highly restored pieces (anyone with cash can buy those), but the ones with individuality, flair and character.

Keep us updated !

Cheers

Jonny

Edited by Jonny TR6

Thanks, Jonny, very tempting to clear coat the TR4A as is...! But I probably cannot resist switching it back to its original Triumph Racing Green, or maybe a slight variant.  

Link below for Episode 3.

Do feel free to let me know any comments/ideas/advice (good or bad!) 

Kind Regards

Toby

(note to admin: I'm not sure where best to post these sort of video updates, let me know if prefer somewhere else).

One for the mods - is it possible to have this as a sticky ? Really enjoying the videos and hopefully we can continue to follow Toby’s progress as one of our own.

If it’s a sticky he can just post the updates as they come along - that’s assuming you’re happy to do that Toby ?!

Great work as ever Toby. I never use powder coat on anything that's likely to get chipped. Water gets underneath it and creeps and eventually you get great big flakes coming off. Paint - especially the stuff you use is a much better option, especially if you can spray it.

Do you happen to have the odd tin or so lying around from building projects back in the day ?!

Thanks, Jonny, yeah fully with you on the powder coat, and that hub is a case in point, it’s never going to be pristine before someone powder coats it unless they get really fussy with chemical washes etc, and even then whatever the steel composition is it seems to rust extremely easily/quickly once exposed. 

We used to have all sorts of debates on paint systems on the Museum steelwork, if I’d have know I’d have ordered a few more cans!

I tried the black ‘Hardcoat AX’ this morning as a top coat, will see how hard that is once it’s gone off. 

It is difficult getting a nice flat finish though brushing it on (not so much an issue on that hub, but other parts maybe). 

• 2 weeks later...

Good timing, Jonny, the cars are all done now.... :lol: 

Here is Episode 5 !

Cup of tea needed for the first few mins, a tour of Dubai in the TR6 (and wait for the parts without music, other than that of the '6...).

Hope you enjoy it.

I'll be back to post separately for some help on my gearbox, it got steadily worse...

Kind Regards

Toby 

Edited by BaulyCars

I have to say, I’m really enjoying following your journey Toby, exciting times ! 
I could almost feel the sense of pride as you drove past the museum, out with the old, in with the new (albeit 1960-1970’s new).

Seeing your car razzing round sans bumpers has convinced me to take mine off. I’ve been debating it for a while, but now I’m convinced.

Re revs dropping when hot - possibly fuel evaporation from the carbs due to heat soak ? Maybe one for your 3D skills to design a heat shield ?

On a final note re the compressor - I take it you’ll be running pipework all around the unit with take off points ? 

Cheers

Jonny

Thanks, Jonny, always great driving past it, and we'll see if we can put some future tech into restoring the car :)

Yeah the bumper thing is worth trying (can always put em back on) - the car does need to be quite low I think to look right (I still wish mine was a tad lower, I don't know how others have done it, I'm already on very short springs).

With front and rear bumper, the US license plate surround and the luggage rack it saves 26.5kg - that's something like 3 bhp :)  

Heat shield sounds like something I need to do afterall then - its not something I should adjust the idle/carbs for? 

I'll see how I get on at first with the hose reels for the air compressor, might be only using it for one or two tool types only - but yeah, maybe end up needing to run lines around the shop. 

I think I need a new gearbox... towards the end of the drive, I guess once the box is properly hot, it started crunching 2nd and 3rd and had to ensure clutch was fully flat to the floor and eventually needed to double de-clutch and blip to get it in (fun for a short while...). The 4th gear thing is a whirring off-throttle with an accompanying buzz/rattle which isn't very pleasant. 

In theory I have the box from the other TR6 which I could put in it for sale - any upsets not keeping the original gearbox case with the car?

Or maybe best I just buy a reconditioned box.    

Edited by BaulyCars
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Here is Episode 6, with a start on the TR4A disassembly (and trying to start it...), and discovery of a rather large rusty hole in the bodyshell (anyone out there has done this repair recently??!!), and the 2-post lift turns up and is installed.   

For your viewing enjoyment I hope.  

Kind Regards

Toby